1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walton Lodge Laundry, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton has closed for good

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 3, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

walton-lodge-steam-laundry-brixton-01.jpg

I feel unexpectedly sad about this. I loved having proper industry in the heart of Brixton, and it was wonderful that they had operated out of the same distinctive building for 119 years (the business started in 1880).

The building has a prospective buyer, although no contracts have been exchanged. A pre planning application from some time ago suggested the locally listed building may be used for student accommodation.

Photos coming soon.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I know the building but never realised it was still operating as a laundry!

4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

That's a shame :(

5. Nedrop

Nedrop Active Member

always amazed me how they managed to park 3 trucks in there on a daily basis, some expert maneuvering was needed!

Dexter Deadwood and editor like this.
  6. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Shame, must be a pretty competitive industry. I noticed last month the Sunlight laundry on Acre Lane has a name change Berendsen.

7. buscador

buscador culturally dominant

I'm sure I'm going to sound like the dreadfullest of Daily Mail old farts now, but I do think it's quite sad that, while the facade of this building might be retained, what will most likely be lost is the "SANITARY STEAM LAUNDRY" (and below) signage. There are so many signs/advertisements/whatever that give clues to the history of a place that make wandering around so interesting. I'm not well-travelled enough to know if this is the same in other cities but it's something I love about London.

SarfLondoner likes this.
  8. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I agree that's part of what makes it special. I'd have thought that would be retained. It's quite usual when the signage is part of the architecture and the use changes. The Old Hat Factory flat development in Soho is a lovely example. Steam Laundry is old fashioned sounding enough to be considered historical and desirable but not confusing.

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever went in there is branded as the old steam laundry. Has Antic done one of those yet? :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
    SarfLondoner and buscador like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Word is that Antic had been sniffing around the premises too, but it seems they were unsuccessful.

SarfLondoner and Rushy like this.
  10. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Good, they appear to have enough going on in the area. Give someone else a chance.

SarfLondoner and Rushy like this.
  11. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

While running yesterday, I was struck by just how many large commercial premises have been lost. Just to name the first two: the builder's merchants on Bedford Road and McCarthys cars at Clapham North.

12. SarfLondoner

SarfLondoner KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

There is to be another sainsburys on the old McCarthys site,That will make it 3 within half a mile not counting the main store on the high street.

13. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed the builders merchant, lots of over priced flats going up.
    I take it McCarthys has gone the same way.

14. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Yup, and likewise the Peugeot Garage at the end of Jeffreys road

15. leanderman

McCarthys not yet developed - but empty

16. SarfLondoner

SarfLondoner KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

Im surprised that the land on the corner of Acre lane/Kings avenue has not built on,Its a fair sized plot.

17. cuppa tee

From the top of the 155 it's seems they are digging foundations and pretty deep ones at that
    .......there will be no shortage of yuppies gazumping each other for a gaff right next to the tube, four boozers and a pizza place for bonus points

e2a 5 boozers

18. leanderman

Can't see a planning app

19. cuppa tee

Do you need one to dig foundations ?

20. leanderman

dunno. but probably advisable!

21. cuppa tee

that was an elevated forecourt there, so maybe it just looks deep from the top of the bus, but unless my memory is faulty I'm sure i saw one of those
    drills they use for sinking piles.......

22. cuppa tee

23. leanderman

24. Peanut Monkey

Peanut Monkey Flea-Bit of CHL.

Not forgetting no longer being able to marvel at how they squeezed their trucks into the forecourt when parked up.

25. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Has the brick mountain been removed?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. leanderman

Yes. Gone. Used car sales now. But plot was for sale for several million

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think he has an eye to the "Brixton Central" development.
    There is an arch at the back of the laundry which would give access through to any development on the old Tesco/Kwiksave site.
    Might make the site more valuable/developable than it currently appears.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus