Walking the Northern Heights: a London disused railway walk

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jul 14, 2005.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I went for a lovely walk along the disused Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace railway track, now grassed over as a 'green corridor'.

Photo report and a veritable shedload of facts here:
    http://www.urban75.org/london/alexandra.html

[​IMG]

2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

i did that walk a few years ago, you've made me want to do it again :cool:

3. BadlyDrawnGirl

BadlyDrawnGirl Piano Tuna

There was something about this walk on TV a while back featuring Ray Davies from The Kinks, as apparently it passes through the neighbourhood where he grew up. Must be a good 'un then. :)

4. jugularvein

jugularvein extra

ed looks really nice and i'll be living near there soon, would it be easy to cycle? or do you recommend walking to take it all in

5. marty21

iirc correctly it's pretty flat...

6. jugularvein

jugularvein extra

tar

7. E. Coli

E. Coli shite from both ends

d'oh.

8. exosculate

exosculate a stagger with a beat

Thanks Ed - That was a good thing to highlight.

Is there any likelyhood of hassle walking along there?

9. tomas

tomas was nicht ist ist möglich

use to live just down the road from one of the exits from the track, used to be the esiest way to go to the park and often used to get to the station. it's a nice path and it can be used to get all the way to higate with a few minor road passages. it's absolutly fine to cycle on, even a plesant experince.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

There's a chance that it might get a little iffy after dark, but I had absolutely no hassle of any kind at all along the route.

It's very quiet and I only met a handful of fellow walkers, joggers and families out for a stroll.

jugularvein: it's an old railway line so it's very flat! There's one or two very small muddy sections, but parts might get a bit sticky after a deluge.

It's a lovely walk.

han likes this.
  11. Isambard

Isambard Dab of Rioja, Kitten? :D

Wouldn't that make a good book, disused railway line walks around Britain?

12. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

My brother loves that walk; must do it some time.

13. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Oh Great! You've just done half the August London walk.. please don't give the entire game away.

:cool:

Still, atleast I can knick all your facts.

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Time for you to come up with something more imaginative, Hollis!

15. editor

editor hiraethified

That reminds me: I've been mulling over this for years - I want to do the Wye Valley walk.

(editor goes off to start new thread in community)

16. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

There's a book called 'Walking the Tracks' I think my dad has.

Walking disused railway lines is big business.. I've inadvertently done more than my share...

17. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Theres a great walk (which takes in Three Mills Island in Bow) along a water main through East London - looks like it could have been a raised railway track but isn't. It's in one of the London Cycling guides so, of course it's good for cycling too.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

I did some of that walk a while ago. Some of the landscape around Pudding Mill Lane is well bleak though!

19. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

is that disused track now known as the parkland walk?

20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

never had any trouble wandering along there after dark myself...

21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

yes.

22. marty21

i've always wanted to do the bath/bristol one...on an old railway line....anyone done that one?

23. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

in that case, the ed's right-it's bloody gorgeous!

24. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

I saw that and thought "oooh I'd like to do that walk"... now whether I'll ever get round to it is a different matter :rolleyes: @ self, but since I've become a born again walker I think I might just make it... maybe ;)

25. XerxesVargas

XerxesVargas formerly MrMalcontent

I walk it all the time. Its lovely, for a moment you can forget you're in London. I've never had or seen any trouble there.

edit: Ed you didnt take a pic of the cool sculpture in the abutments of the Mount View Road bridge. At the top of one of them is a figure of a sprite (or such) emegring from the brick work. Its pretty cool, mainly due to its randomness.

26. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

i'm asahemd to say that even though i lived in the area for a couple of years, i never went along that path

27. BarryB

BarryB New Member

I think its called the east London sewer outfall walk or something catch like that.

BarryB

28. editor

editor hiraethified

29. swampy

swampy Well-Known Member

Very nice to cycle, part of my highspeedextreme (concatenated for effect) north london mountain bike circuit. Pedestrians and dog walkers gladly given right of way, naturally.

30. catch

catch runt.littercom.org

used to cycle to and from work down that about three times a week, kept fucking my tyres up though :(