1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkie Talkie tower, Fenchurch St crackles into life

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jan 19, 2011.

1. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Heron Tower's a nightmare for wind as well.

2. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I think Parliament House should have won out of that lot. Fenchurch street is ridiculous but at least it looks like someone designed it

farmerbarleymow and Greebo like this.
  3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

You're probably right but I think the Walkie Talkie was in a much more public position and more people see it. It also promised so much and failed e.g. the viewing garden

I'd cycled past Parliament House a few times and barely registered it.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Parliament house is an uglier building, but Fenchurch St. deserves the win for the magnitude of its wrong-formedness. It completely ruins the skyline from almost anywhere that can see it, and will continue to do so for decades if not more.

5. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Imperial College's student accommodation in north Acton looks pretty bad too, I guess they were forced to build high :

[​IMG]

6. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Deserves to win worst building. I walk past it every day and I'm still not used to just how horrible it is. And it's shit to have meetings in too,

7. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I don't get the hate on the walkie talkie at all. I like the bulging out, it makes it different.

Ted Striker likes this.
  8. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Yay it's cute and cheeky.

9. kabbes

Do you have to walk past it on a daily basis or otherwise work in its vicinity?

Greebo likes this.
  10. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I walk past it a few times a week. It's not like Fenchurch st is a pretty street full of uniform buildings anyway. I hate the Heron tower much more, it's just boring.

11. kabbes

It looms from everywhere. You can't walk down Lime St without it dominating. You see it bulging out unexpectedly over the top of Leadenhall Market or Lloyd's or from Gracechurch and it never belongs to the skyline. It's always there like some kind of horrific boil.

Greebo and Belushi like this.
  12. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

kabbes likes this.
  13. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

14. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

No it looms like this: :thumbs:

It brightens up my day.

Ted Striker likes this.
  15. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Bought by Lee Kum Kee. Perhaps they'll restore the frying function :thumbs:

Image4.jpg

16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

My elderly Ma in Law, who lives outta town, has now been up 20 Fenchurch St three times and loves it. On her last visit, she noticed another bar had been added. She much prefers it to the Shard.

Try not to feel too sorry for the good students at Imperial, they are some of the brightest and richest out there.

17. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I come out of Bank tube most days and it looks like a scene from Half Life 2 some days, this big egregious eyesore in the clouds and morning sun.

IMG_0450.JPG

muscovyduck, rubbershoes and bi0boy like this.
  18. kabbes

Eugh.

19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

In fairness, you can make that accusation against many modern buildings when contrasted with elderly ones.
    Take either the gherkin orchestra Lloyd's building, between which is an old church.

20. kabbes

None of them loom in the same way though. The walkie talkie is the absolute worst.

paolo likes this.
  21. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

View from the 44th floor or something of the walkie talkie, The high temples of capitalism aint such a big deal.

hash tag likes this.
  22. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Awesome building. I bet it will be Grade I listed in 40 years time.

23. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

That's actually one of the better days, most days it's just a looming lump.

The Shard say, can look decent at night and in the day unless it's shit weather. The walkie is forever just shit.

kabbes likes this.
  24. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

If you want the real Half Life 2 experience, you need to go to Manchester.

[​IMG]
    Half-Life 2's Citadel

[​IMG]
    Beetham Tower, Manchester

25. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I like the design of the tower.

In context though... a bit weird.

And the walking talkie I think is awful. For me the design is yuck, but add to that, it doesn't fit into an existing cluster - city or Canary Wharf.

Unless you see it from a very specific angle, it just appears plonked. Which it is.

muscovyduck likes this.
  26. kabbes

I can't overemphasise how dangerous it is either. Even on a calm day, it's blustery as you walk past. A few months ago when we had those high winds, as I walked into the overhang of the walkie talkie, I was physically blown sideways and came within a whisker of being blown off my feet into the road. I wasn't the only one. People were being knocked all over the place. I saw several hit the ground. The funnelling of the wind is lethal. I actually now cross the road before I get to it and take paths to avoid it.