1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkie Talkie tower, Fenchurch St crackles into life

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jan 19, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

bromley, Greebo, clicker and 2 others like this.
  2. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

...is that Spiderman traversing the roof in the last pic...?

Greebo likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There were loads of workers scuttling over the roof.

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

That's an amazing space. Shame it's such a sore thumb on the skyline :(

Enviro, Greebo and Belushi like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It felt extra futuristic to me because there was hardly anyone there at all. The cafe has normal prices too, so it would be one one hell of a cool place to meet for a coffee (if you can get in - it's now fully booked to the end of March).

Greebo likes this.
  6. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

...that first pic is a bit remensiscent of......

[​IMG]

.....give it another 50 years.....

Greebo likes this.
  7. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Exactly it's in the wrong place. The view from the other side of tower bridge looking towards the tower of London is really screwed. Planning scrutiny FAIL.

Greebo likes this.
  8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Winot likes this.
  10. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

A third nearly metre long bolt broke on the building yesterday,it says it didn't fall because the bolts have been tethered (this presumably means they've stuck something under the head of the bolt and secured it to something else),not good for a nearly new building.

E2a Oops that's the cheese grater building,all much of a muchness to me.

Greebo likes this.
  11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Once the outside terrace is open to the public it'll be well worth the visit IMO. Don't particularly like the look of the cafe and its furniture. It looks like the typical cafe you'll find in a museum, a place where you'd only sit & use out of necessity.

Don't have a problem with the outside of the building. Its shape and colour are certainly striking and different. It reminds me a bit of EVE off Wall-E.

Greebo likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I think it's great that bits of these places are open to the public and free. The Heron Tower is another, unlike the Shard which costs a fortune. If Miss Tag gets Friday off work, she may get treated to a VEGGIE breakfast up there; yup despite being in the city, modern and trendy, they have veggie brekkies :)
    Please tell me the lifts are internal and not external. Th lifts up the Heron are a nightmare, a scary, horrible, Nauseating nightmare ( though I can see the appeal for some people, just not me).

Greebo likes this.
  13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Unlike the heron tower, you can walk round all 360 degrees which is good. The views from the top are a little more manageable than from the top of the shard, which makes london look like toytown. Very expensive!

14. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I've had meetings in there. It was shit.

All these new buildings are shit.

15. kabbes

I've had meetings in Heron Tower too.

It wasn't as shit but it was still shit.

16. kabbes

Not had a meeting in the cheesegrater yet (don't think anyone is in there yet?). But no doubt I will eventually and it will be shit.

17. kabbes

I worked for a bit in the Gherkin. It was shit.

I have lots of meetings in Lloyd's. It's great.

18. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I've had breakfast in the Heron tower, I like the lifts. :cool:. But it looks more boring than the walkie talkie.

19. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I work in a three year old flagship building. It is expensive and shit. Plumbings a joke, the air horrible, the stench below ground vile somedays, lighting horrible, stairs not in useful places, lifts over loaded.

kabbes likes this.
  20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

In addition to thouggts on 20 fenchurch st, the plants up there look like they are in a terrible state!

21. Tony.

Tony. New Member

I love the Walkie Talkie Tower. I'm interested in Modern Architecture, so I like it. This is my first post by the way, nice to meet you all.

22. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Welcome.

You're wrong though. It's horrible regardless of any interest in modern architecture. :D

muscovyduck and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  23. Tony.

Tony. New Member

Well, it comes down to preference. Some people like it, some don't. Me, I like it. :)

24. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

I like it too. Ignore quimcunx. She comes from a part of the UK where wattle and daub is still de rigeur.

25. Tony.

Tony. New Member

It has a very distinctive shape. I like it.

26. Chick Webb

Chick Webb Countryfile and a can

I had to collect my boss's coat from the Heron Tower the day after a fire in Sushi Samba a while back. I thought the lifts were great! It was the highlight of my day. /saddo

I love their aquarium too. I think the walkie talkie is very ugly, but it amuses me that it used to have a death ray.

27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

For a cuppa at the walkie talkie, £3.50 and it comes in a bleedin cardboard cup!

28. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Wins the Carbuncle Cup 2015,

Hurrah. Reason has finally prevailed .....there's some other stinkers on this list too. Apparently it's got really bad wind around the base :p

29. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow minty pea sweetcorn goodness

Read that this morning too - good news. It is a horrible building so well deserving of the win.

kabbes likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

it's the winner of the Carbuncle Cup 2015!

Carbuncle Cup: Walkie Talkie wins prize for worst building of the year

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.