1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkie Talkie tower, Fenchurch St crackles into life

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jan 19, 2011.

1. _pH_

_pH_ .

That almost looks photoshopped, it must be something to do with the weird light.

2. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I popped by today. Hundreds of people there including film crews. Frying pans and eggs included.
    It's a bit like a huge film lighting rig has beamed down onto the streets.

3. _pH_

_pH_ .

Did anyone manage a fry-up?

Greebo likes this.
  4. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

We should open up a soup kitchen.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

No need to bring a gas hob :D

6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow minty pea sweetcorn goodness

Apparently so - there was one article I read where a journo had claimed to have done that.

Bit of a stupid design flaw mind. But the moniker of that hotel in the US amused me 'death ray hotel' - quite a cool name really. :D

Greebo likes this.
  7. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Or focus the light on solar panels on the roofs across the road. :cool:

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  8. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

That Thai restaurant / cafe should have thought of that. :)

Greebo likes this.
  9. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I can see it from my living room, if I get home one day and discovered my sofa has been melted there'll be hell to pay :mad:

10. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow minty pea sweetcorn goodness

Can a few people be organised to stand at specific points around the building and fire lasers at it to see what happens? Could turn it into a proper death ray!

I'm sure the little pen lasers you can buy wouldn't hurt anyone if they were all focused onto a single point. Would they? :D

11. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

When the hell did we stop calling this building 'the pint glass'!! I have been misinforming visitors for months now...enjoyed watching it go up...its going to be a wibbly wobbly bridge situ all over again. Something quite snigger raising about such monumental cock-ups though, makes mine fade into insignificance..

12. _pH_

_pH_ .

Was it called the Pint Glass? Never heard that!

Greebo likes this.
  13. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I work around there and I quite like it. It's not a million miles away from the other skyscrapers either, the Heron tower must be further. What's really making a mess is the Pinnacle being a building site.

14. _pH_

_pH_ .

Is that the one where the developer went bust? Is it still at a standstill?

Greebo likes this.
  15. sleaterkinney

Yeah, work has been stopped on it for ages. I'm not surprised because there's a lot of new office space with these new skyscrapers, where are they going to get companies to let them out to?.

Greebo likes this.
  16. _pH_

_pH_ .

It's been, what, a couple of years now? It'll be interesting to see what happens, it's not that far advanced - I wonder if demolition and a different scheme is a possibility?

17. sleaterkinney

They have the foundations and a bit of the core built up, I wonder if they can be re-used?. Crispy ??

Greebo likes this.
  18. _pH_

_pH_ .

If it's a different design, presumably a new submission for detailed planning permission would be needed. Could take years...

19. clicker

What is the one that has a top third all bright green at night time - can't see the outline properly from the South so couldn't place it properly...

20. _pH_

_pH_ .

Is that Tower 42/Nat West Tower?

21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The original developer didn't get the investment they needed. They built the basement and core stub as a gamble, to make investors impressed. It didn't work. The major investor, Arab Investments has now bought the project and has commissioned multiple option designs for a replacement, which may or may not re-use the existing basement+core. It will probably be as tall, but not as extravagant.

Greebo likes this.
  22. clicker

Maybe...ph i did the marlow to henley walk last week on a glorious day,armed with your blog...will post pics on that thread soon....fantastic walk.

Greebo and plurker like this.
  23. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I was near the Design Museum past tower bridge at the weekend. Looking back at the city what disaster this tower is ! How did it ever get planning permission ? messes with the views of Tower of London and Tower Bridge.

24. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

im sure thats true, but i was on the platform at london bridge today thinking how ugly the shard is up close - those square bits at the bottom are crap - it already looks dated, never mind the general phallic shityness of it, and look across at the walkie talkie which you can just about see, by contrast at least and on relative terms it looked pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Talking of spoiling views and such check out the horrible glass and steel thing they built directly opposite the Tower of London, just over the bridge - completely out of keeping with the buildings around it - that Thistle hotel at least blends in.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Manter likes this.
  25. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Completely agree re the shard. And it does weird shadow/ wind tunnel things at ground level too

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What a cock up :)

Greebo likes this.
  27. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  28. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Pickman's model likes this.
  29. editor