1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkie Talkie tower, Fenchurch St crackles into life

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Apostate. :mad:

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.” 2 Peter 2:1-3.

2. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

3. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's what the article said:

muscovyduck likes this.
  5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

This is not a trivial problem.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  6. Crispy

OMG, remember this?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39403349/...y-vegas-hotel-pool-heats-guests/#.UiUDGDabN6J

Guess who the architect of the Vdara Hotel was?
    Rafael Vinoly, also architect of 20 Fenchurch Street :D

7. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It's amazing and facepalm all at once :D

Greebo likes this.
  8. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

[​IMG]

Greebo likes this.
  9. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  10. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Apparently not - as long as they've already been paid, it's no longer their problem.

11. Crispy

Not true. When buildings have defects after completion and nobody fesses up, the court cases to apportion blame are often very strongly contested, with all the consultants and contractors fighting their corners. If the fault is found to lie with the design, rather than the implementation, then the architect (or structural engineer or services engineer, or whoever was responsible for the incorrect design) can be liable for correcting the fault.

12. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Thanks for that - how often does the architect have to put it right though? There was that stainless steel clad Disney building (in LA?) where some of the outside panels had to be sanded to stop it creating a hotspot, I only heard of that this morning.

13. Crispy

I was about to mention the same building. No idea who was found liable for that one. I also don't know how it works overseas.

However, it's common these days for the contractor to be liable regardless, as many contracts are of the "design and build" type. This means that the chain of command goes client->contractor->architect. The architect is contracted by the builder to provide design services, but it is the contractor's responsibility to finalise the design and make sure that it is correct. This sort of contract is beneficial to clients, because a contractor will happily cut corners in the design to save money, whereas architects tend to insist on all their expensive niceties.

In this case, however, the design flaw is so gross, no contractor could reasonably be expected to alter the design to fix it. I predict a complicated court case.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

"evil genius builds giant parabolic death ray into city skyscraper, twice" :D

i'm having a shit morning and this is really perking me up :D

15. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

:D Awesome

16. _pH_

_pH_ .

Are novated agreements still common? I.e., client employs architect, architect designs the building to such a point that contractors can price up and submit a tender, successful contractor then becomes the architect's employer (at which point, the contractor tries to cut costs on everything and the architect gets upset at all their lovely detailing being thrown out on grounds of cost).

There were/are problems with the Shard; at certain times of day, the sunlight reflects off the glass straight into the eyes of train drivers approaching London Bridge - it can be really blinding! There were meetings between the developers, Network Rail, the TOCs and the unions, but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  17. Crispy

That's exactly the terminology used in such design & build contracts.

18. _pH_

_pH_ .

I've worked on a couple designing the landscape element - a right pain in the arse when the client is happy with the outline design work then the contractor pressures you to change half of it because they screwed up the QS in their bid.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

he trained in Argentina according to CityAM- its all a plot!!

lang rabbie and farmerbarleymow like this.
  20. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Maybe it's time to revoke the architects license or at least restrict him to designing garden sheds. :eek: :D

21. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Walkie Scorchie

The guy had a Jag and was driving around central London, no sympathy from me. Leave your car at home.

muscovyduck, Greebo and SpookyFrank like this.
  22. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat it's all a load of baubles

according to someone on the lunchtime news, the sun is in the wrong position at certain times.

facepaw.jpg

muscovyduck, Greebo and Maggot like this.
  23. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Amazing, it set a hair salon's doormat on fire :cool:

24. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Does this mean they're going to knock it down?!! :)

Thank you almighty sun god. :D

25. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Nah, they're putting scaffolding round it :mad:

26. _pH_

_pH_ .

Shamelessly stolen from b3ta (by Captain Howdy):

[​IMG]

Greebo, magneze, T & P and 1 other person like this.
  27. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It's trying to start the riots again.

Greebo likes this.
  28. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

You could instal giant curtains over the building. :)

Greebo likes this.
  29. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

If the windows could be angled individually by motors to further enhance the sun rays, the building would make a very cool Bond supervillain weapon :cool:

muscovyduck and lang rabbie like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus