1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wales World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Oct 10, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I still like it though.

2. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Draw. Just want a draw, and if they do win, don't want them to win big. It's not impossible that Scotland could dump Wales out again if they win their last two games. That would put them second with 14 points in the playoff table!

Badgers likes this.
  3. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

to better our worst case position if we win our last 2 games,Scotland would have to win their last 2 games with a +7 GD. Ain't gonna happen!

Badgers likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I thought you just said that goal difference was "completely irrelevant now."

:D:D

5. littlebabyjesus

There is also the Wales getting four points situation to consider. Not out of it by any means with four points but will need some luck.

6. 1927

Within the group yes it is. Please keep up.

7. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

:confused:
    On the wiki link that LBJ provided it states:
    Why is GD irrelevant in the group?

editor likes this.
  8. 1927

For Wales to go through as a best 2nd place we have to win both remaining games. If we win both games we will have beaten Ireland who will be on less points than us so GD won't matter. On the other hand if we lose or draw with Ireland then GD will be irrelevant because even if we finish second in the group it went be good enough to qualify for play offs as one of the best 8 2nd place teams.

9. 1927

Our GD is only relevant when compared to other teams in 2nd place for other groups. What Ireland have is irrelevant. Currently of all the teams in 2nd place we are placed last.

pocketscience likes this.
  10. pocketscience

OK just seen you was replying to editors post re camparing to ireland in group D.
    Obvs GD is of utmost relevance for the 2nd place table.

11. pocketscience

Just goes to show the importance of hammering 7 o r8 goals in if your lucky enough to get a minnow state like San Marino or Liechtenstein in your group.

12. 1927

No it doesnt, as the results against the bottom place team aren't counted in the calculation!

13. pocketscience

:facepalm:
    Forgive my ignorance... Following England means this is all new to me.
    Fascinating none the less

14. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

I see goldenballs is absent for the last two games. Squeaky bum time editor ? :)

Badgers likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As a lifelong Wales fan I never have any expectations of success. Disappointment is my theme tune. But if we do well - like we did in the Euros, progressing further than any other home nation - then that's a doubleplusgood bonus.

16. 1927

General consensus is we will do fine without him cos he contributes little anyway. Ben Woodburn and David Brooks will be ample replacements!

17. littlebabyjesus

I think Wales are a better team than roi even without Bale. Evens things up mind.

Got to beat Georgia first, though. I'll take any kind of performance and any kind of win - I suspect if it is a win, it'll be an edgy 1-0.

editor likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. 1927

20. 1927

Anything other than a win against Georgia and mo day is irrelevant. However, depending on results before Monday a draw may be enough. We have one of the best squads we have ever had to select from with the youngsters like Woodburn, Brooks and Ampadu to select from. Throw em inand see what they can do! We might be on the verge of an even golden generation than the one we have just had. Welsh football is on the up!

21. littlebabyjesus

:confused: Gareth Bale's 28.

22. 1927

I know, but his influence in the team hasn't being earth shattering recently! We need to bring g in the next generation. I'm trying to be positive. His absence isn't the end of the world. We have other options. We are not alone man team.

23. 1927

The one thing I don't understand is why we announced he wasn't hating in either game so early. Should have left it til last moniute. Let Ireland think he was being rested against Georgia and that they would have to face him on Monday? Then when they selected team for Monday reveal he isn't playing and their strategy to retain himgoes out of the window.

Unless of course he might actually play on Monday!

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You don't think having one of the world's best players in your team is likely to lift the morale and confidence of the Welsh squad?

25. littlebabyjesus

Just read that the playoffs will be seeded with two groups of four based on world ranking. That's very good news for Wales - means definitely no Italy or Portugal.

26. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

Georgia are a real decent footballing side. In this campaign, if it wasn't for bad luck they'd have none at all.

Maybe their luck will change tomorrow?

27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

tidy goal!!! :)

Plumdaff and planetgeli like this.
  28. Maggot

Maggot .

Come on Georgia!

29. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I think we need to be grateful that Georgia are a bit shit. Wales need to score again and we can breathe.

Fuck off Maggot

ddraig likes this.