1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wales World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Oct 10, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

After the 4-0 thumping of Moldova, we've gone off the boil a bit, scraping a 2-2 draw in Austria (not a bad result) followed by a backfiring 1-1 home draw against minnows Georgia.

We're home to Serbia on the 12th Nov. COME ON WALES!

2. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Hate to say it but Wales are not the same team without Ramsey.

Very disappointing Georgia game, but it can be put right by a win over Serbia. Any thoughts I had (which I did) that Wales might just run away with this group have been firmly put away.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. The daring to dream phase has been replaced by dull pragmatism.

4. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

After the fine showing at the euro's opposing teams will make it a lot harder to break them down.How long is Ramsey out for?

5. No shame in being held by georgia btw- they are far better than their ranking suggets

6. littlebabyjesus

They lost their first two games, though, which means losing ground on the main rivals for the group. Not a disaster but a bad result, and Wales were outplayed for a period second half, which was a bit worrying. Still seem prone to dodgy periods in games. Four points from the next two games will make for a decent first half of the campaign. Less than that won't.

7. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

Come on Ireland!!!

8. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Missing Ramsey big style.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Start your own thread if you're that keen. :/

Cheesypoof likes this.
  10. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

They are in our group so technically relevant.

Although if we 'allow it' we should also be able to respond 'oh just get fucked'.

11. Cheesypoof

Sorry. I dont read the thread titles all the time (i should) Of course i wish Wales the best of luck, by the way! i used to live there!

12. littlebabyjesus

You're a better person than me. I wish Ireland no luck whatever. :)

13. Cheesypoof

why not?

14. littlebabyjesus

cos you're in our group. Which means you're in our way. Soz. I'm being hardnosed about this.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  15. Cheesypoof

No problem mate. Anyway, dont want to hijack the Wales thread!

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  16. littlebabyjesus

I like Ireland and I like Martin O'Neill. But this is what it's like to have expectations for your team. It ain't pretty. ;)

Cheesypoof likes this.
  17. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Serbia should sweep that group but it's inevitable they'll finish at least two games with nine players. Could be one of the tightest groups in Europe.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Come on Wales! Hang in there!

19. friedaweed

friedaweed Branded as a fool

Stream?

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just Radio 5. Couldn't find a pesky stream.

friedaweed likes this.
  21. sealion

Wales not sitting back and want another goal.

22. friedaweed

friedaweed Branded as a fool

Good luck boyo's :thumbs:

editor likes this.
  23. sealion

Thats a good win. Battered them in the second half.

editor and Badgers like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

YES! That was a vital win that leaves us with a chance of qualifying.

2017-09-02_213901.jpg

25. sealion

John Hartson is a good co commentator for 5live when Wales play. He's like a fan in the stand without the swearing.

editor and ddraig like this.
  26. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

Helluva goal

editor likes this.
  27. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

a CHANCE!!!! If we win on tuesday (likely) and Ireland lose or draw (likely) then we are above them in group. It all boils down to the Ireland game at home, that is pretty much a winner takes all game now.

editor likes this.
  28. 1927

Looking at the tables I actually think it's unlikely we'll qualify as one of the best 2nd place teams even if we pull it off. Because our group is the most competitive group there is everyone is taking points off everyone else, whereas most other groups have 2 teams head and shoulders above the others!

29. littlebabyjesus

Only one team out of nine doesn't get into playoffs. I think I'm right in saying that performance against lowest ranked team doesn't count as well when deciding who to eliminate.

In short three wins from here virtually guarantee a playoff. Then you cross your fingers you don't get Italy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  30. 1927

The 2nd placecteams in just about every other group has a better record than us. It's going to be very very tight and even 3 from 3 may not be enough. When I've got an hour of so I will try and work out permutations and who we need to be supporting in other groups on Tuesday. We could do with ROI and Serbia drawing for a start as our best hope might be to win our group and need those 2 to drop points. Austria beating Georgia would be handy too, and hopefully Moldova can pick up a shock win in last 2 games, thus would mean they aren't the bottom side and we wouldn't drop a full 6 points from our total! This assumes we win 3 of 3.

We could also do with a defeat for Greece tonight defeats/draws for Montenegro and Denmark on Monday and a draw between Iceland and Ukraine on Tuesday. Then the picture will be looking much easier for us.

Tonight I shall therefore be a Belgium fan!