Volkswagen accused of cheating US emissions tests!

Discussion in 'transport' started by weltweit, Sep 19, 2015.

1. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

That account of collusion sounds like balls. A cartel that decides on the maximum speed at which a soft top opens? Oh lordy!

Manufacturers need to collaborate on product development these days because the return on capital is so poor if they reinvent everything individually.

As for VW, if I remember rightly they copped to Dieselgate pretty quickly once accused. They're the only one to have admitted wrongdoing I think. Some others are accused but continue to deny fault, possibly correctly, possibly not.

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know, you would expect such coordination between VAG companies as they are in the same group, but for them to continue with competitors, I think something is wrong.

3. mauvais

Competitors operate together all the time. BMW and Toyota are about to produce a coupe together, for example. Decades ago, Fiat supplied pretty much all of SEAT's products. Is that shady collusion or is it a normal part of running a modern auto business?

There are dodgy elements in play, like how VW AG sold their cars at a subsidised discount for years in order to put the squeeze on competitors, but inter-mfg cooperation is not necessarily wrong in itself.

4. weltweit

And yet selling cars cheaper than your competitors (VW) seems to me more like fair competition than colluding with other market participants over things like preferred suppliers.

5. mauvais

It's (allegedly) predatory pricing, and has been the subject of various successful anti-competition lawsuits.

6. weltweit

Aha ..

7. weltweit

8. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

A regional court in the homeland of VW has fined the company 1bn Euros.
    So that's it then? Swindle a huge segment of their customer base and secretly poison the worlds population for the last 7 years and that warrants a fine the amounts to about 1% of their profits for the last decade.
    Crafty fuckers.

9. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Amazing how any company can take a loss that size and still function

10. pocketscience

1bn is peanuts to VAG

11. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Looks like Mercedes have been caught out as well...

12. OzT

Hmm dunno, just Googled VAG and their net income 2017 was only 11 billion, only! anyway, that's still nearly 10% of its profits gone.

Well guess shareholders next year get a drop in their returns then.

Seems like Mercedes have only been asked to recall some diesels, not being procecuted as far as I can google

13. pocketscience

The fact that they made 100's of billions out of winning market segment by cheating (where much of the competition spent big on R&T to reduce emissions level) its relative I guess.
    A fair decision would have been a fine amounting to all the revenues made on the millions of cars sold by cheating the customers. The customers should also be reimbursed with the fine money and they should be forced into paying for a substantial amount of renewables for the next decade.
    BP were fined 21 BIllion for the Deppwater Horizon accident (key word accident). I don't see why VAG should be treated lighter for intentionally polluting the (immediate) environment.

14. OzT

Wow you know what, I have no idea companies make that much money. I thought only pop stars make that sort of money!!! lol!! :)

Seriously, to me it's mind boggleling that amount of billions a company, who would have known huh?

15. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I would have assumed everyone. It’s an eye-opener that you’re surprised.

emanymton, Badgers and pocketscience like this.
  16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

emanymton likes this.
  17. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

It's certainly a perfect opportunity for shady collusion with a lot less hiding.

18. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I wonder how many Audi drivers actually cared?

19. pocketscience

Good point but tbf that's why ttey need to be punished. The 1.6l tdi is at the relatively lower end of the emissions scale. So the slightly more environmentally conscious driver has been cheated while the average SUV and high performance car owners just carry on.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  20. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Are you saying that fuel economy and low emissions weren't my top concerns when I bought my 3 litre twin turbo A6? :oops:

21. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

VW had to buy back hundreds of thousands of cars in the US as they don't fuck around with consumer protection. That must have hurt.

22. pocketscience

Let's see what the Eu do. They're trying to rinse Google for €11bn for violating Eu antitrust laws... the fine for poisoning it's population will surly be off the charts.

will it fuck

toothless

23. kabbes

The class action I am involved in rumbles on, like a noisy diesel engine. The lawyers on the same side (representing different claimants) had a big fight amongst themselves, which delayed things, but it seems back on track now.

24. pocketscience

Against VW? Do you have one of the vehicles affected by the scandal?

25. kabbes

I do, although it’s Skoda rather than VW

26. pocketscience

same thing, no? does it have the ea189 engine? My father in law has that one.
    What's the angle for the class action? loss in sell on price?

27. kabbes

It is the same indeed, so we’re all one class action.

The angle is inducement to sale, I think, which I think requires restitution of payment. But I have to admit to not being entirely sure.

pocketscience likes this.
  28. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Nissan has admitted fudging the numbers in Japan now

29. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Bloody French.