1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viz, the monthly review

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by DotCommunist, Jun 7, 2015.

1. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

A goldmine this month. I'm starting this thread in the hope that other Viz readers will weigh in to discuss. The nakedly classist stuff like tasha slappa and so on grates heavily, but my god when it's good, it's good. This month has 'Panbusters' (I literaly wept salt tears of laughter) a one-off dambuster spoof and Finbarr and an excellent full page Terry Fuckwit strip.

I identify with Terry Fuckwit sometimes.

2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

*makes note to buy latest Viz*

Viz is excellent :cool:

Still smashing it in the internet era

3. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

About 20 year ago Viz did a spoof phone sex advertisement about chefs which made me cry with laughter for about 30 minutes. I was left on the floor spent when the howling finally finished.

The Onion still does this to me too from time to time.

4. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Would be nice if we could get a thread on Viz without someone being surprised that it's still going. Would be even nicer if regular readers could pick out a few faves on a regular basis.

I've read almost every issue since 1989ish, was the only thing I insisted on having sent out to me during 4 years in China. Will not be cancelling my subscription any time soon as it's the only genuinely funny periodical on offer these days (it pisses all over the chortling public school wank that constitutes the Private Eye funny section).

Was a bit miffed at this month's issue featuring both Tasha Slappa and Mobility Scooter Woman which are just crap. (I don't mind something like 8 Ace which is often genuinely funny but those two strips are just cheap and nasty). However there's still some genuine classy humour in there. Will try to dig out a couple of recent classics to get the ball rolling as soon as I get a couple of days off work.

5. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

5 years ago I spent most of two days in my bathroom with what can only have been amoebic dyssentry and ten years worth of Viz. Considering the pain and discomfort I was in it's a surprisingly happy memory and I seemed to spend most of the time laughing.

6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

The Modern Parents is a wonderful bit of satire that all middle class people should be forced to read before they're allowed to have kids.

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

8. Voley

Voley O'er grassy dale, and lowland scene

9. DotCommunist

Them pisstakes of franklin mint tat are great. I think my fave was the diorama of Diana and Jade Goody playing tennis in heaven

10. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

especially london ones.

11. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Wakey, Wakey, Eggs & Bakey!

12. og ogilby

og ogilby Well-Known Member

I've just subscribed to Viz thanks to this thread. I used to read it every month until my eyes started to strain at some of the small print, but now I have glasses I'm good to go again.:thumbs:

Voley and DotCommunist like this.
  13. DotCommunist

a classic of the genre:

[​IMG]

14. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

this is mine.

[​IMG]

15. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

16. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

17. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

18. motsy

motsy PISSHEAD OF THE YEAR

I had a budgie a bit like Bertie Blunt's parrot- it was a bit gobby and didn't give a shit about who it bit.

19. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I've just had a look on google to post exactly that one. Fuckin class.

ringo likes this.
  20. billy_bob

"In-shrub self abuser" :D

[​IMG]

21. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

That's one of my all time faves. There was a brilliant one with teaching jobs too.

ringo likes this.
  22. Voley

23. Voley

I've just subscribed again, too.

og ogilby and maomao like this.
  24. DotCommunist

the one that creased me up most in this months letterbocks.

25. Voley

:D

Ah, I'm looking forward to getting this again now.

26. billy_bob

I reckon the 'inspirational' one's the best.

I'm from the same neck of the woods as them off the viz, and I think I might know the actual teacher they had in mind for the 'art teacher who can't fucking draw'.
    [​IMG]

27. ^^That is spot on. I'm going to start buying Viz (for my kids of course).

28. DotCommunist

Was just re-reading this months Roger Mellie strip (he promises to muff dive on anne widdecomb). Toms computer has a spunking cock logo where the apple symbol should be. Subtle.

29. copliker

copliker ...

drunkenbakers.jpg

(((Drunken Bakers)))

purves grundy likes this.
  30. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I LOL at the letters frequently:
    * THE OTHER day, I rushed round to my neighbours' house to warn them of the kangaroo in their garden. Imagine how silly I felt when they explained it was just their greyhound having a shit.