Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Visa for usa (cost)

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
I was held up on the US border for hours.
The only person to be taken off the coach :(

They let me g/f through no problem but they weren't happy with me.

Kanda

Diving wanker
lol...

It's important to understand that successfully applying for ESTA doesn't mean you're automatically allowed to enter the USA. It just establishes that you're 'eligible to travel'.
Only a US Customs and Border Protection officer at the point of entry can decide whether you're actually allowed in or not. He or she may decide, after all, that you don't fit the VWP criteria. It's completely at their discretion.
Bonkers, it’s a charge for getting permission to attempt to enter the country.

moochedit

Mr Mooched It
i went to the US a few months back and it was 14 dollers (about 9 quid) for the "esta". i think if they turn down the esta they still charge you 4 dollers!
and as others have said even if you get the esta, they can still turn you down when you actually get there.

edit - you have to have either an ESTA or visa though.

Funnier than he thinks he is.
If he's a British Passport holder he doesn't need a Visa, therefore he has to get an ESTA!

From KLM Page:

Passengers from countries that are subject to the Visa Waiver Programme are required to apply for a supplementary authorisation to enter the United States. This application is easy to submit by entering information at the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) website.

Which Countries take part in the VWP:

Currently, 37 countries* participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:
Andorra Hungary New Zealand
Australia Iceland Norway
Austria Ireland Portugal
Belgium Italy San Marino
Brunei Japan Singapore
Czech Republic Latvia Slovakia
Denmark Liechtenstein Slovenia
Estonia Lithuania South Korea
Finland Luxembourg Spain
France Malta Sweden
Germany Monaco Switzerland
Greece the Netherlands Taiwan (see note below)
United Kingdom

also, if he fits this criteria:

• You are a citizen or eligible national of a Visa Waiver Program country.
  • You are currently not in possession of a visitor's visa.
  • Your travel is for 90 days or less.
  • You plan to travel to the United States for business or pleasure.
  • You want to apply for a new authorization for one person or a group of applications for two or more persons.

Yes I know all that, I was trying, if you havent grasped it by now, to ascertain whether the OP was eligible for the waiver!

Kanda

Diving wanker
Yes I know all that, I was trying, if you havent grasped it by now, to ascertain whether the OP was eligible for the waiver!
If you check his post history, that he's a British Passport holder (recently renewed it cos his Mrs wants to go to US) you'd know ;)

(I already said up there ^^)

Manter

Lunch Mob
If you check his post history, that he's a British Passport holder (recently renewed it cos his Mrs wants to go to US) you'd know ;)

Kanda is right! ESTA, $14, lasts two years. And mine has just expired... bugger. Good reminder

But not ALL British passport holders are eligible for the visa waiver programme are they?

Manter

Lunch Mob
But not ALL British passport holders are eligible for the visa waiver programme are they?
All british passport holders need an ETSA and they do not need a visa for a holiday, shopping trip or business that is not compettiive with us interests. The US government can deny you an ETSA or deny you entry for pretty much any reason they dream up
Is that what you are asking?

All british passport holders need an ETSA and they do not need a visa for a holiday, shopping trip or business that is not compettiive with us interests. The US government can deny you an ETSA or deny you entry for pretty much any reason they dream up
Is that what you are asking?
I dint need to ASK anything, I know the form thanks.

I was merely making the point,. sadly missed by kanda, that the OP may not be eligible for an ESTA. They talked abiout a VISA in their OP so I was trying to find out whether they meant VISA or ESTA, as there may have been some reason they needed a visa as theycould not get an esta!

Manter

Lunch Mob
I dint need to ASK anything, I know the form thanks.

I was merely making the point,. sadly missed by kanda, that the OP may not be eligible for an ESTA. They talked abiout a VISA in their OP so I was trying to find out whether they meant VISA or ESTA, as there may have been some reason they needed a visa as theycould not get an esta!
Ahha.

Kanda

Diving wanker
Except I didn't miss that point at all. I posted up info so that the OP could find out instead of your fucking pointless attempts at point scoring. Bit more helpful than your contribution I think, well done.

Except I didn't miss that point at all. I posted up info so that the OP could find out instead of your fucking pointless attempts at point scoring. Bit more helpful than your contribution I think, well done.
i thought you were done with this, off you pop.

flypanam

arise, weeping prophets
Bump

I'm flying into New York and returning via Montreal. I noticed the ESTA eligibility guide states 'Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas' which is a bit arsey.

Are the US border agency worried that I will just disappear?

keybored

Well done. You remember cat good.
Weird. I was supposed to travel in January but had to postpone for a month. I know it's valid for two years so I guess I can just update it instead of getting another and if I go to the site and pull up my application it will let me change;
- email address
- Phone number
- Destination state
- Address I'll be staying at
- Flight number/carrier
...but there is no option to change the date of travel :hmm: and if I view the original application there is no date shown on that either :hmm:

Am I missing something, or can I just change the flight number and carry on?

flypanam

arise, weeping prophets
Doesn't matter because it's valid for two years from the day you purchased it. Just change the flight on the ESTA and get on the plane imo.

MikeMcc

Pretty much anybody from the UK can travel to the US using an ESTA. Getting a visa is much more complex and usually involves getting a lawyer to help you. I had to get a B1 visa for the type of work that I do (commissioning machines). Even then it sometimes confuses the folks at the the desks and I have to give a long winded explanation.

One time, heading to San Francisco, I forgot the old passport which had the visa in it. The guy at the desk was really good though. I had to go with a guy who checked my details and I did an ESTA application there and then, cost $11.

MikeMcc

Bump

I'm flying into New York and returning via Montreal. I noticed the ESTA eligibility guide states 'Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas' which is a bit arsey.

Are the US border agency worried that I will just disappear?
It's not really, you have evidence that you will be leaving Canada at the end of your trip, so you aren't terminating it there. If you didn't have a booking to fly back they would be suspicious that you would try to cross back illegally.