Visa for usa (cost)

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by inferno, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

I was held up on the US border for hours.
    The only person to be taken off the coach :(

They let me g/f through no problem but they weren't happy with me.

2. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

3. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

lol...

Bonkers, it’s a charge for getting permission to attempt to enter the country.

4. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

i went to the US a few months back and it was 14 dollers (about 9 quid) for the "esta". i think if they turn down the esta they still charge you 4 dollers!
    and as others have said even if you get the esta, they can still turn you down when you actually get there.

edit - you have to have either an ESTA or visa though.

5. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

They take a photo and your fingerprints when you get there as well.

6. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Yes I know all that, I was trying, if you havent grasped it by now, to ascertain whether the OP was eligible for the waiver!

7. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

If you check his post history, that he's a British Passport holder (recently renewed it cos his Mrs wants to go to US) you'd know ;)

(I already said up there ^^)

8. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Kanda is right! ESTA, $14, lasts two years. And mine has just expired... bugger. Good reminder

9. 1927

But not ALL British passport holders are eligible for the visa waiver programme are they?

10. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

They can all apply. Whether or not they get accepted is another matter. It's all up there ^^

11. 1927

Do you ever get the point or do you keep missing it?

12. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

You don't seem to be. I'm out of this discussion, it's like banging my head against a brick wall.

13. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

All british passport holders need an ETSA and they do not need a visa for a holiday, shopping trip or business that is not compettiive with us interests. The US government can deny you an ETSA or deny you entry for pretty much any reason they dream up
    Is that what you are asking?

14. 1927

I dint need to ASK anything, I know the form thanks.

I was merely making the point,. sadly missed by kanda, that the OP may not be eligible for an ESTA. They talked abiout a VISA in their OP so I was trying to find out whether they meant VISA or ESTA, as there may have been some reason they needed a visa as theycould not get an esta!

15. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Ahha.

16. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Well-Known Member

Is this still going?:facepalm::D

Kanda likes this.
  17. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Except I didn't miss that point at all. I posted up info so that the OP could find out instead of your fucking pointless attempts at point scoring. Bit more helpful than your contribution I think, well done.

18. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

this is turning into another sofa thread

19. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Nah, I'm out and adding to my ignore list. It's fucking pathetic.

20. 1927

i thought you were done with this, off you pop.

21. inferno

inferno Well-Known Member

Sorry I took so long replying I sorted it through site given by Kanda.

Thanks

22. flypanam

flypanam Agrocultured and shitesayer

Bump

I'm flying into New York and returning via Montreal. I noticed the ESTA eligibility guide states 'Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas' which is a bit arsey.

Are the US border agency worried that I will just disappear?

23. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

Weird. I was supposed to travel in January but had to postpone for a month. I know it's valid for two years so I guess I can just update it instead of getting another and if I go to the site and pull up my application it will let me change;
    - email address
    - Phone number
    - Destination state
    - Address I'll be staying at
    - Flight number/carrier
    ...but there is no option to change the date of travel :hmm: and if I view the original application there is no date shown on that either :hmm:

Am I missing something, or can I just change the flight number and carry on?

24. flypanam

flypanam Agrocultured and shitesayer

Doesn't matter because it's valid for two years from the day you purchased it. Just change the flight on the ESTA and get on the plane imo.

keybored likes this.
  25. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

Pretty much anybody from the UK can travel to the US using an ESTA. Getting a visa is much more complex and usually involves getting a lawyer to help you. I had to get a B1 visa for the type of work that I do (commissioning machines). Even then it sometimes confuses the folks at the the desks and I have to give a long winded explanation.

One time, heading to San Francisco, I forgot the old passport which had the visa in it. The guy at the desk was really good though. I had to go with a guy who checked my details and I did an ESTA application there and then, cost $11.

26. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

It's not really, you have evidence that you will be leaving Canada at the end of your trip, so you aren't terminating it there. If you didn't have a booking to fly back they would be suspicious that you would try to cross back illegally.

flypanam likes this.