Virgin Media - Crap/Not Crap

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by UnderAnOpenSky, Oct 3, 2016.

1. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I looked at the coverage map of hyperoptic. Looks like they are providing and taking orders for large/new apartment development blocks, and new schools etc but over quite a large area of London. I'm gathering older flats and houses will have quite a wait for the most part.

2. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Hmm.. I phoned up as my Fibre Broadband speed had reduced to 2mbps.. :facepalm:

They've not managed to fix that remotely - it's still crap. But as a result of the call they're given me the latest Tivo box and router (I had an old TeleWest box) and are reducing my annual charge by £120.

I'm sure I'm still paying over the odds... but that's without any bargaining on my part.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

What router did they give you? SH3?

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Had the annual price hike letter. Mine is going up £3 a month for 200mbps broadband only package to what I think will be about £41.xx

Which is still a few quid cheaper than what they flog that package too for new customers. Which is annoying. Need to look into if having a phone line I’ll never use will work out cheaper, probably not at first glance, only for 12 months anyway and then I have the hassle of phoning them up every 12 months to cancel again until they offer me the same price as a new customer again. :rolleyes:

But I think just tipping £40 a month for broadband only now has just crossed that line of time to look at my options even thou I am satisfied with the service.

5. sim667

Me too, but there's no other fibre providers where I am.

6. skyscraper101

Mine is going up by £3 to £23.

Which isn't bad I guess given that's 100Mb broadband, and Tivo for recording TV shows.

7. cybershot

I think I'm going to stick, looking at all their other deals, bundles, that i won't use, the price doesn't really move unless I take a big hit with my broadband speed.

I guess that package is not listed on their main site anymore, in the same way 200Mb Broadband on it's own isn't.

ETA: I could switch to the 100Mbps deal with a phone for £32, I think I could live with the 100Mbps drop in speed to be honest, most of my downloading goes on overnight, or I kick off remotely.

8. skyscraper101

They wanted to raise my package cost to £40 odd quid up from £20 month.

I told them I wanted to cancel and they didn't even bother to try and retain me, even when I told them I don't want telly or a landline they couldn't offer me anything below £36. A £16 increase for the same service.

They can do one.

9. skyscraper101

LOL, they rang me back today and offered me £22 p/m for 100Mb broadband only deal with a £20 credit over 12 months, which basically works out to £20.33 p/m

Agreed and took it. I won't even miss the phone or TiVo - I barely use either.

10. cybershot

I was going to quote you last night and say they will probably phone you back tomorrow as in today. But I didn’t want to jinx it or get your hopes up.

Good work.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  11. sim667

Thanks..... that gives me some ammo as my contract is up next month and I want to ditch phone and telly too.

12. skyscraper101

Interestingly, they didn't want the TiVo box back. They said they've moved on to their V6 boxes now so just told me to put it in recycling.

The box still works for playing back stored recordings (so thankfully my ITV4 Minder collection is intact) but doesn't record any more. And although it still receives channel 1-5, it puts a message on the screen advising to contact customer services, so effectively useless for watching anything other than already recorded shows now.

13. sim667

I've wondered if you can flash them tbh....... I know there's a open network ports as I can control mine with a bit of scripting

skyscraper101 likes this.
  14. skyscraper101

I'd be interested if so :)

15. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Yeah, me too. I have the new V6 thing and it is significantly better than the old one, but it is basically a tivo and they can have plex.