Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:16 PM.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Who would have thought it, eh?

Although...
    Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986

BassJunkie and 8ball like this.
  2. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

Interesting to see that while the revenue is more, the number of units is less than half - funny turnaround: when I first started collecting music, vinyl was way cheaper than CD.

BassJunkie and editor like this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

Compared to old vinyl, the value of second hand CDs has plummeted too. You can pick up fairly recent big name CDs at Poundland for a quid!

moody likes this.
  4. killer b

Most old vinyl is worthless too tbf - only first pressings and rare stuff is actually worth coin.

I agree it's a golden age for second hand CDs though - I've recently started buying them again after getting a car with a CD player and we're more or less at the point now with CDs that we were in the early 90s with vinyl - everyone is jetisoning their collections to the charity shops as they replace with the latest format (in this case streaming for the most part), so it's really cheap to pick stuff up and there's a really wide range available. Most shops near me have them at 25p or 50p each...

5. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Wandered into HMV the other day.

There was more vinyl in there than I've seen since the mid 90s.

Much of it repressings of pre mid 90s stuff mind and £15-20 a pop.

Still. Flicking thru records is always nice.

neonwilderness and editor like this.
  6. Idris2002

Idris2002 The Man From G.R.A.S.S.Y. K.N.O.L.L.

Hipsters ruin everything.

8115 likes this.
  7. killer b

it's not unusual for new releases to be £30 now. It's aimed firmly at middle aged commodity fetishists (hence the volume of 90s repressings)

8. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Yep.

As my wife pointed out to me "what do you need a record for when you can stream anything you want anyway?" My reply..."but it's on red vinyl!"

9. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

this is exactly what this new song is about

imposs1904 and Ground Elder like this.
  10. killer b

most of the underground acts releasing stuff on wax keep the price low - usually 10-15, which is reasonable IMO, and allows me to justify carrying on buying new LPs. :cool:

11. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

I buy vinyl, new and old, every week. I think it's the expense, bulk and inconvenience that I find so attractive :rolleyes: :facepalm:

12. killer b

I've maintained a collection of music on vinyl for a quarter of a century, it doesn't seem possible to stop now (although it makes moving house a massive chore)

Ground Elder likes this.
  13. killer b

on tour next month - will defo be going.

rutabowa likes this.
  14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I've pretty much stopped buying new vinyl this year and stuck to downloading things from Bandcamp and playing what I already have... still buy second hand stuff and it is indeed a good time for CDs especially.

My daughter thinks her friends paying 30 quid for fresh Soundgarden repress LPs is the most hilarious thing ever. She remembers being dragged around record shops as a nipper and me buying stuff for a quid because it looked bonkers...

I've seen conflicting reports on the environmental impact of downloading vs physical media but the days of me ordering boxes of seven inches from America are long gone (and not just because postage is insane now).

15. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

yes I haven't seen him for ages and he's always good, going to go... I think it's this month though not next? london he's playing next Monday anyway.

16. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown caput mortuum

Im keeping an eye out for the ‘pay no more than £30.00’ hipster stickers

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  17. killer b

Oh you're right - next weds. He was off the boil last time I saw him 2 or 3 years ago, but I'm sure that was an aberation.

18. killer b

I'm not sure you can call an item they stock in Sainsburys hipster.

Sainsbury's actually have their own record label - There's an exclusive pressing of Superfly in glorious sainsburys orange vinyl, among other treats.

editor likes this.
  19. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Those are the ones that people sell to Music Magpie (or whatever they're called), aren't they?
    Ie. when people send their old CD's, that counts as a 'license', so if the old one is a bit knackered they can re-print and sell again so long as they ditch the old one.

(I may have this substantially wrong)

20. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

My HMV has just had a redesign, giving a lot more space to vinyl. I haven't even bothered to look at it, because I know it's more expensive than the CD equivalent. Nonetheless, it doesn't seem to have cut into the CD stock, and they still get stuff you wouldn't expect in a small provincial city.

21. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

not now it's not!

f-me! you seen the prices for vinyl now?

22. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

have you looked at discogs lately?

BristolEcho, editor and Ground Elder like this.
  23. killer b

Yeah, all the time. That's how I know most records are worthless.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

I guess it depends on your definition of 'worthless' but from my random browse I'll still get a better return on my old vinyl than the CDs that I 'upgraded' to.

25. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

To be fair, most records are worthless - it's just the ones that you, me and everyone else wants that go for proper money ;)

26. petee

petee i'm spartacus

when I first started collecting music there was only vinyl - and shellac!

27. killer b

It's certainly true that every time I go through the stacks removing records I'm not bothered about with a view to selling them, the ones I'm not bothered about tend to only sell for a pound or two at most.

Funnily enough, finding out a record is worth money often makes me reevaluate it and it goes back in the stacks... :facepalm:

Fez909 likes this.
  28. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I think young people buy vinyl as more of a memento or art piece from a band they like.

A few years a go I hung out over a summer with a friend's band doing a tour and festival circuit. They had a big and young audience. Like 16 to 21.

They sold lots of vinyl, but none of the kids had anyway to play it.

Kind of like having proof you're a hardcore fan, I guess

29. killer b

How do you know they had no way of playing it?

30. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I talked to them. Helping selling merch and stuff.
    Also the kids buying the stuff were also the kids hanging around later trying to meet and talk to anyone who knew the band.