Vinyl collectors - how to find them

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

My ailing grandmother has asked me to see whether there is anything valuable in her LP collection, but I don't really know where to start. She has a substantial amount of old classical and jazz vinyl, mostly from the 50s and 60s.

What's the best way to a) find out if any of the individual items are worth anything, and b) find people willing to pay for it? There are too many for me to individually list on eBay, but I'm willing to go through them all and put together a spreadsheet of what there is.

2. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Have a look on discogs.com
    Should give an idea of prices.

Buddy Bradley, ddraig and Badgers like this.
  3. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

This place is quite good. It's a huge database of valuable records sold on eBay and their prices. Don't be put off by the name, plenty of jazz and classical in there. If you're doing a load of searches then you might need to register which is free (I think).

popsike.com - vinyl records price guide

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Start with the jazz.

5. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

2nd Discogs for initial checking
    you can just put the catalogue number in

6. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Yes, Discogs/Popsike is the way to go - catalogue number, then check for the actual edition in the list. Condition is essential, particularly with the classical LPs, which need to be close to immaculate for most buyers.

With Discogs check for the median sold price, rather than just look at the ones for sale.

7. Buddy Bradley

Thanks for the recommendations. Is Discogs a pretty active marketplace for vinyl, or can it be like eBay and it takes months of relisting for something to sell?

8. Fozzie Bear

Lots of people prefer it to eBay but how quickly stuff goes depends on what you’re selling - and the price.

The alternative is to find a local-ish dealer or record store who will take the lot off your hands.

9. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

It's pretty much the first please people who buy second-hand records look. How quick your stuff will go, will depend on what it is, what condition it's in, and how it's priced.

Really, you should let people here have first dibs. ;) What you got?

10. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I listed about 700 records on Discogs about 2 years back and I still have about 300 unsold.

11. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

That's not bad IMO. Most records are more or less worthless, so selling more than half of 700 is a good hit rate...

12. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

O

I tried to pitch them a few pence under the lowest comparable example and not take the piss with postage costs, and yeah so many are worth 20p. All in all with the ones that went for bare cash and a good few 20p-ers I think I came out even on what I spent on them in the first place

Fez909 likes this.
  13. Buddy Bradley

Once I've found the time to go through and enter them all into the system, I'll share the list here - it's mostly classical and jazz from the 40s/50s/60s with a little bit of easy listening and big band stuff thrown in there. Most of it looks in pretty decent condition.

14. Buddy Bradley

Does it work like eBay, so you have to keep re-listing things every few weeks, or can you just fire and forget?

15. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

you stick them up and they stay there until they sell or you remove them.

Buddy Bradley and nogojones like this.
  16. Fozzie Bear

Also you only get charged by Discogs when something sells, whereas on ebay there is a listing fee.

ddraig, Buddy Bradley and nogojones like this.
  17. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

and when you find the record on discogs you can just click "add to my collection" and/or "sell one like this" iirc
    and you can export your collection as an excel spreadsheet.
    it also tells how much your collection is "worth"
    and for those that don't know, on the app you can scan the barcode which then brings up the release (if it's on there)
    Not useful for you BB as doubt any of the ones you want to find will have a barcode

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

the worst thing about discogs is that whenever i sell anything i forget to pay their invoice and my shop gets shut down until I remember.

19. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah, i got a bad rating right at start from not knowing how it worked :oops: