Victoria Coach Station

Discussion in 'transport' started by TopCat, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

What are your perceptions of VCS?
    What improvements would you like to see?

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's in the wrong place. Should be moved closer to the trunk road network so coaches don't have to navigate through central London. I propose decking over the railway North of Paddington. Straight onto the Westway.

(Or, given the Elizabeth Line's arrival, somewhere further out like Acton)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Chz, zora, SpookyFrank and 2 others like this.
  3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Make the pub over the road turn their lights up.

TopCat and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Put it somewhere buses can get to without crawling through solid traffic for an hour.

5. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

It’s improved a lot in the last decade (?) with more loos etc but it’s still too small, draughty and doesn’t have enough seating. Is stymied by the location for reasons stated above, plus being on that small corner with nowhere to expand, I guess.

Plumdaff, Badgers and A380 like this.
  6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

cheaper coaches

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

tbh it's much better than toronto coach station was when i was there in '15.

Badgers likes this.
  8. TopCat

Very useful. Keep 'm coming.

9. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I use it quite a lot for getting to nights and back. It's quite depressing and stressful when you've been out all night. It's too small as well and often overcrowded which is hard when you're either still on it, or even worse coming down.

On the plus side there are toilets, and the staff are okay. The mega bus end is awful though.

ska invita, ShiftyBagLady and A380 like this.
  10. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

I’m sure it was all quite spiffing in the 1930s. A motor coach to London? How exciting!

No bus station is much fun these days, and it says something that the main positive attribute listed so far is the fact that it has some toilets.

UrbaneFox and A380 like this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I like it where it is, but then it's very easy for me to get to by bus or train, though as said, it's not in the ideal location. You would not want to pick someone up from there in a car.
    It's a bit random and crowded inside, both departures and arrivals and very 50's. It could certainly do with a makeover.

12. TopCat

Its listed and is 24/7 operationally which limits refurb somewhat.
    Just came back from there. I noticed class a users going to the loo, plainclothes and uniformed police, people serving up gear, and a huge number of peeps getting coaches
    Cleaner than you may remember too.

13. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

It was a sad day when they knocked down Digbeth. Even the bus station in Stoke on Trent is derelict now.

My youth is vanishing fast.

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Access is not very good at the coach station. I know there are no steps into or out of it from either side, but there is no "help" with access to the coaches for those with restricted mobility.
    A platform type arrangement with a ramp would certainly be a help.

pinkmonkey likes this.
  15. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Would a relocation to the massive new HS2 rail - inc suburban / Crossrail hub at Old Oak Common be on the cards ? - what will be a very well served public transport hub , easier access to at least some motorways , not to mention some "regeneration" benefits on both the existing site and the "new" Park Royal area site.

16. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Sounds like a pretty good idea. The local roads are shite round there at the moment but there must be a mass infrastructure plan to go with the mega development.

17. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's not that bad in fact it's easier than Victoria train station (mainline, Gatwick express end is easy). The main problem is getting an accurate arrival time for a coach trying to get into one of the busiest parts of London.

TopCat likes this.
  18. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

It's better than it used to be, but is obviously cramped and overcrowded. It was unbearable on the hottest day of the year, recently, particularly difficult for parents with young families. I don't mind it being where it is as it's convenient for me. Main redeeming feature for me is the bakery that invented cronuts is next door. It's my treat to myself when I travel from there.

Plumdaff, TopCat and Maggot like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Marginally :D

20. pinkmonkey

I think if it were out West my journeys up north would take even longer.

21. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

If it were Park Royal as suggested above it would knock half hour off any journey to the North of England I can think of.

When I was a kid we always used to get off coaches at Golders Green. Was a right pain getting to Edmonton from Golders Green but it was another 30 minutes to Victoria even then.

22. pinkmonkey

I get off at Golders Green on the way home - cuts 40 mins off my journey.

23. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

buggered if i know the answer.

there is an obvious difficulty in that it's rightly a listed building, but coaches are about a foot wider and a bloody sight longer than they were when the place was built in 1932.

[​IMG]

(gratuitous photo of 1930s coaches - from this time out article)

hmm at the idea of moving it to the edge of london - that would be ok (in some respects) for coaches coming from that side of london, but a bit shit for coaches coming from the other points of the compass (bear in mind that coaches from the south east of london go to / from various bits of mainland europe as well as kent)

i don't think there is a simple answer, or they would have done it by now...

UrbaneFox, ska invita, A380 and 3 others like this.
  24. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

and it's better than what it replaced

[​IMG]

(august bank holiday weekend, 1929 - from this article on 'flashbak')

this was on a different site - what was then former gasworks site that's now the tachbrook estate, just south of pimlico station.

25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

26. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Does it need to be in one place? Or could it be replaced with two or three bus stations at different points around london with fast tube/crossrail links between them?

27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

if it was located at junction 1 o
    Yes

Badgers likes this.
  28. TopCat

There is a mobilty lounge with helpers

29. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Not in arrivals.

TopCat likes this.
  30. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Go full Boris and stick it on an artificial island in the middle of the Thames Estuary.

Not a new station, just put the old one there then replace it with something fit for purpose on the same site, preferably connected by dedicated road tunnels to Cricklewood, Westway, Dartford and Stratford.