1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vic Reeves' Big Night Out

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by purves grundy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

2. HarrisonSlade

HarrisonSlade say NO to the vaccine

Whatever your views on Vic Reeves, it still stands today that "Big Night Out" was the most important comedy show since Python, and nothing has yet surpassed it as being anywhere near as influential in the UK since it was aired.

Unsubstantially extreme I know, but I have really thought about comedy since 1974, and there has never been anything that has revolutionised the way we think about comedy more than the Big Night Out.

Anarchy in comedy always had to come with blatant satire, childrens ITV style gags or jokes no one would find alien in Working Men's Clubs. "Big Night Out" gave us, for the first time, pure bullshit without any purpose in a Friday Night comedy show, and it was the best thing ever. The cast made up the spine of the Fast Show, and heavily influenced a wide variety of shows looking for substance.

From the Big Night Out came Absolutely (Naked Video but actually funny), Paul Merton - The Series and The Mary Whitehouse Experience.

It also gave the 90s a new fashion, allowing a revival of Easy Listening, and the wearing of suits and Velvet, of which the Madchester lot had deemed unfashionable before.

"Big Night Out" remains the most important work TV has aired for decades, and has remained, even though not my favourite show, the reason why I wanted to watch and get into entertainment. ANd for that I thank Vic and Bob.
    Eggby likes this.
  3. Urbane Worrier

Urbane Worrier a scuttler scuttling

The first time I saw the show I thought it was fucking ACE.
    The next week was the same as the first
    and again
    and again
    and again.
  4. Brother Mouzone

Brother Mouzone ‚í∂narcho-Cynicism

5. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

An eleven-year revive to notify everyone that they've got a new one-off special of this tonight, retitled to include Bob's name.
    kittyP likes this.
  6. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Meh. Wacky is over.
  7. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

Eleven years?

You wouldn't let it lie.
    Eggby and neonwilderness like this.
  8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Idris Elba: he got his kestrels wet.
    kittyP likes this.
  9. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

I love Reeves and Mortimer. Unfortunately that was terrible.
  10. mwgdrwg

Yeah, it was bad, such a shame.
  11. stavros

I liked it. It may not have been as good as their best stuff; it still seems to come from a totally different direction to pretty much any other TV comedy.
  12. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

With the benefit of 24 hours I still think it was very disappointing.

To be fair I don't think the audience helped much - they were pretty lacklustre and weren't really getting into it. Need more booze so it sounds like a big night out not a recording of QI. When I saw them in Stoke everyone in the audience was shit faced and loving it.
  13. mwgdrwg

Yeah, but they did it better in 1990.
    Badgers likes this.
  14. stavros

It'd be nice if the Beeb or C4 gave them licence to do something new. The return of Shooting Stars was cancelled far too early, as was House of Fools, which I really liked.

Both actions gave me a face like a neglected radish.
    Rosemary Jest and Badgers like this.
  15. May Kasahara

May Kasahara channelling Lynda Day

I watched the new one with my kids and they both fucking loved it, so that's a thumbs up from me. In fact, they asked to watch it again this morning.
  16. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

They'll always be workshy fops to me*

* brought to you by Dosser. A Reeves and Mortimer product!
  17. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

I loved House of Fools, always got time for a bit of Vic and Bob.

Athletico Mince, the podcast with Bob Mortimer is very funny, worth a listen just for the stories about Steve McLaren. :thumbs:
  18. stavros

House of Fools, to a certain extent, did successfully what Mrs Brown's Boys tries to do; on a single set with one vaguely normal character (Bob) trying to manage the assorted walk-ons. It was more surreal undoubtedly than MBB.

And, before anyone leaps in, much funnier.
  19. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

I love the way Bob Mortimer thinks. He was excellent on Taskmaster :D
    Pickman's model likes this.
  20. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama Fuck the system.

Pure class IMO. Almost as pleasantly surprising as the Twin Peaks revival.
  21. ed marimba

ed marimba Well-Known Member

It was a lovely series at the time . Still good now but some sadness that they didn't fulfil all the potential they seemed to have. In hindsight the amount of repetition in Big Night Out and lack of development between series 1 & 2 were signals of decline to come. Then again, most comics never make anything nearly as funny as this series, that's maybe a better perspective to take on it.