1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vic Reeves' Big Night Out

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by purves grundy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

In retrospect, was it any good? Or was it alternative-comedy-meets-music-hall up their own collective arse? I find myself watching plenty of comedy that was made decades ago (The Young Ones, Alexei Sayle, Fawlty Towers even), but I've never felt like watching this again, even though I enjoyed it at the time. Or maybe I didn't, maybe I said I enjoyed all those catchphrases and characters just to stay in with me mates.

"What's on the end of the stick, Vic?" :D :D

2. i_hate_beckham

i_hate_beckham Him From A Village

I always thought it was fucking shit and surreal and on the back of it the surrealism in The Young Ones runied an otherwise awesome programme.

I'm not against surrealism, the best comedy of the last 10 years is the League of Gentlemen, but when you watch Vic and Bob as part of The Big Night Out tour in Canada bomb beyond belief you realise just how shit i and the rest of the world thought it was.
  3. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

Hello little bird, would you like some salt?
  4. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

What do we want?
    What are the chances?

Some great bits, some utter toilet.
  5. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

However good Vic and Bob may have been , I could rarely get past the obsessive knobcheeses repeating the same old 'wacky' catch phrases again and again.

Those two were just about alright - I'd even warmed to them by Shooting Stars - but the succession of people constantly jutting in with 'you wouldn't let it lie' made the whole programme deeply irritating in reality.
  6. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

doesn't matter if it's good in retrospect. It's whether it was good then. and yes, it was. Damn fucking funny.

Retrospect involves taking into account what's happened since - what else they've done, tarannau's catchphrase-reciting wankers, shifts in UK comedy etc.

I just remember it being one of the funniest things I've ever seen at the time.
  7. LM17

LM17 Easily confused

I loved Vic Reeves Big Night Out when it was first on TV - not all of it stands the test of time but it's great to be reminded of Les, Wavey Davey and the rest every now and then. I still have a tape of Vic's album "I Will Cure You" somewhere.
  8. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

I liked it, and the weekenders, and even shooting stars, but everything since has been very miss for me.
  9. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Didnt like it, not my type of humour, quite liked Shooting Stars.
  10. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

I thought it was sublime. I remember when I was teaching in Spain and a student had somehow managed to get hold of a Big Night Out annual. I was pissing myself laughing and then trying to explain why these absurd words put together in such a way were making me laugh. An impossible task. :)
  11. Juice Terry

Juice Terry rama lama fa fa fa

Big night out was class, it was the perfect comedy for getting back from the pub on a friday night, sparking up a big spliff and laughing your tits off.

Novelty island with Lister was genius.

"Reeves, you workshy fop" :D :D :D
  12. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

TBH, I wasn't talking in retrospect - those catchphrase people were fucking irritating at the time of the programme itself.

I may be slightly biased admittedly - I spent one of the worst NYE's I can remember round someone's house with Vic & Bob in the background, whilst possibly the most annoying man in the world kept on shouting 'you wouldn't let it lie' at frustratingly super-regular intervals. Dull cunt.

I consoled myself with a catering size bottle of red Le Piat a Dor., drunk away from the house with a splinter faction escaping from catchphrase boy. It was cold, much swigging occurred.The headache had started long before I had got drunk. And when I projectile upchucked, classily behind a bus stop no less, the headache cleared as if by magic.

I indirectly blamed Vic and Bob for that dull twazzock and his tiresome catchphrases for many a year. They drove me to the Piat a Dor, I'm telling you.

13. Kenny Vermouth

Kenny Vermouth Wankers

Seconded. It's probably quite teenage humour as well. I remember wetting myself when I was about 14, but can't believe I would now.

I watched last year again some time and did snigger at Bob Mortimer grating carrot over a plastic toy tractor at the beginning.
  14. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Perth, WA

Oh god, I was a student when it came out, and just hated it. It was everywhere, every Student Grant type twassock shouting 'You wouldn't like it lie.' I don't know what was worse about my student days, being inflicted with Vic and Bob and their stupid catchprases, or having my ears gouged by U2 everywhere.:mad:
  15. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It was great. I think it continued a long British tradition of surreal humour - Milligan, Pythons, even the Goodies (at times). And yeah the catchphrases are grating, but they are also a central feature of comedy - repetition.

A man in a gorrilla suit thrashing a bmx with a bucket. What's not to love.

Personally I never like Shooting Stars. It all got a bit in crowd by then.
  16. nightowl

nightowl hamster wheel called life

i always thought it was a mixed bag at the time - some bits hilarious and some utter toss. have seen the dvd in the shops and thought about buying it once of twice but it's one of those programmes where you're not sure whether it'll all seem pants looking back on it a few years down the line. think their high point was the smell of reeves and mortimer on bbc2
  17. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

It was great then, and thankfully, it's great now.
    I've been watching the dvd.
  18. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin

Its very rare that any comedy stands the test of time. I enjoyed it at the time, probably wouldn`t watch it now. I think it gave quite a welcome kick up the arse to a fairly staid and drab British comedy scene at the time

Morrissey the consumer monkey - class
  19. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

As per usual it was the unfunny catchphrasey stuff which caught on in student unions up and down the country. However being a fan at the time, I recently revisited this and I can confirm there are moments of sheer, absolute genius.

Novelty Island - 'Bra or Pond?' :confused: :cool: :cool:

Say no more. But if you need convincing, 'Talc n' Turnips'. Bedlam. Tears streaming down my stupid face. :D
  20. Kenny Vermouth

Kenny Vermouth Wankers

I did like Graham Lister's entries on Novelty Island: "Reeves, I am going to push lard through the holes cut in this cardboard."

"I know doctors and dentists, Reeves."
  21. Fullyplumped

Fullyplumped in a personal capacity

And people with letters after ther name.
  22. Utopia

Utopia "Jackanackanory"

"You wouldn't let it lie"

Vic & Bob are geniuses IMO, such an inspiration for modern comics. :)
  23. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Big Night Out began in a pub in New Cross (the name of which I have forgotten).

Vic and Bob and their mates/hangers on would go to the Rub a Dub Club at The Greyhound in Sydenham and talk (loudly) throughout the entire show as if it was their space and someone had set up a cabaret club around them, rather than the other way around.

That's a true showbiz story. :) :cool:
  24. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

I thought it was The Goldsmiths Tavern in New Cross (I played a gig there with my old punk band Loophole)?

There'd be no Mighty Boosh without Big Night Out.
  25. Biffo

Biffo Well-Known Member

Loved it. I was probably guilty of over-quoting back then though :oops: Think I might watch some for old time's sake.

I was in the studio audience of the 1st episode of the 2nd series and had a chat with Les in the pub after. At the time it was a particularly exciting night in my young life.

I think Vic is a cock now but still really like Bob.
  26. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Yeah Vic's turned out a bit wrong aint he.
  27. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Aye, that's it: The Goldsmiths Tavern...around the corner(ish) from The Amersham Arms, which was also once home to the Rub A Dub Club.
  28. Mrs Bradley

Mrs Bradley wears the trousers

I loved Les and the chive/spirit level thing :D
  29. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

when big night out was on tv some of the sketches just had me rolling about on the floor, i'd probably still laugh if i saw them again

the stuff they did after shooting stars was pretty bad tho
  30. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Funny ol' place that. When we were soundchecking, there was this weird gyspy family prancing around doing all that majorettes marching stuff. They soon cleared out when we started our sweary punk antics. :D