Very dull hoover thread

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by weepiper, Jul 13, 2019.

1. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I have struggled with the crappiest hoover in the world for far too long :mad: and I've got some money to spend for once so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hoover that isn't crappy? Probably an upright rather than a cylinder one as the whole 5 bedroom flat is carpeted. No animals but 5 people and 10 bikes live here so it's going to have a hard life. If anyone in similar circumstances has a hoover that hasn't tragically lost its suck I'm all ears.

danny la rouge likes this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Henry and Miele are the usual recommendations. We have both, although not uprights, and they're both good.

3. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

My Miele (not upright) has been amazing for 12 years. At the time I got it they were pretty much all top rated at Which?

Eta...and is still going strong. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

4. danski

Woot! Check us out, talking about vacuums on a Saturday night. :cool:

Edie, trabuquera, scifisam and 17 others like this.
  5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Living the middle aged dream :cool:

6. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Henry :thumbs:

Also this :facepalm: :D

7. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

Speak for yourself, vacuuming is my nightmare :(

8. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Sebo are fantastic and come with a 5 year warranty.
    I had one until I dropped it down the stairs.
    Mine was very low noise as well.
    SEBO | Vacuum Cleaners | John Lewis & Partners
    Not cheap, but when you look at the likes of dyson(twat) or shark they're reasonably priced.

baldrick and farmerbarleymow like this.
  9. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

My Dyson is 21 years old! If I hoover for more than 20 minutes it shuts it's self off, but works again after 3 days:confused::D Hence I don't hoover often.

BassJunkie, RubyToogood, Edie and 7 others like this.
  10. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

I got a 16 YO Dyson. It sucks... No seriously though, it hoovers stuff up OK but the crappy plastic body. Well it's lost a few bits. And there's a hole in the hose but I taped it up. I'm gonna get a Henry one day.

kebabking and kalidarkone like this.
  11. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I have a Henry, I don't use it often because I'm lazy, someone told me they work fine without a bag so that is how I have been using it, seems ok, then someone else told me the motors don't last so long without a bag so I am considering using them again.

My ex has a sort of long and thin cordless Dyson which seems a bit cheap and nasty but it does suck and cordless is nice. It sits on the wall in its charging cradle thingy ready to go, it is convenient I have to say.

12. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

I have a wall mounted cordless dyson one, I actually love it :D

Edie, Saffy, blairsh and 1 other person like this.
  13. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. Bag him up weltweit. :thumbs:

weltweit likes this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag member

People have alluded to this already, just to clarify, is it a new Hoover which you seek or a new vacuum?

geminisnake likes this.
  15. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

I have a Henry, which I got on the recommendation of this place. I have to say he and I are not best of friends. I find it unwieldy and awkward to use and store. And the hose keeps unscrewing itself from the nose mid-use. I have to stop to screw it back on every time I use it.

The sad truth is, vacuuming is not a fun activity, and whatever the promises of the manufacturers, their products will not remove the mundane drudgery from the task.

But don’t get a Henry. Uprights are much easier to use and store.

16. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

I don't like dysons. We have a Miele pet one which is ace and sounds like a space craft starting up when we use one of the heads on it :D really easy to move, picks up the pet fur easily. Easily the best I've ever bought.

17. hash tag

hash tag member

18. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

We have a Henry - the cord is extremely long which might be useful in a big flat. I don’t have the issue of bits coming off like Danny but storage can be a pain.

My friends bought a Shark cordless when they moved house and I remember them saying they loved it!

19. mauvais

We use our Henry without a bag by the way - so do tradespeople - and it's fine after god knows how many years.

kebabking, weltweit and cupid_stunt like this.
  20. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

How dare you diss Henry. :mad:

danny la rouge likes this.
  21. mauvais

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  22. danski

23. mauvais

I have one of those, 2200W. I believe in new models they basically just improved the efficiency, so roughly the same airflow and suction with less consumption, proving the regulations right.

danski likes this.
  24. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

I have one too. It's bloody ace.

Calamity1971 likes this.
  25. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I wonder if we were 20 years younger in the current climate but it actually was 1999 would majority of us have burned our dyson products now in protest?

Anyway. I have a Vax upright and it’s great. I would actually recommend getting a ‘pet’ model regardless as they seem better at getting right into the carpets and pulling out all the crap.

There’s been adverts on the telly box this weekend for vax deals so probably worth looking directly in site.

Also a good time to buy. Prime day on amazon tomorrow and Tuesday so lots of other places trying to undercut and get in early. Curry’s have some offers on and I actually find their prices quite competitive to be honest.

Otherwise wait for Black Friday week if you can wait that long and as long as you don’t just jump straight into the first thing you see on offer you will find yourself a bargain. Again I got mine couple years back in a curry’s Black Friday sale it was barely £100, Think it’s RRP was closer to £250. was no doubt stock they were trying to get rid off but vacuums ain’t the same as phones and computers, if you can find a good model at a good price, grab it. it still works great and gets all the cats fur up.

Admittedly I did have to travel to another city 15 miles up the m6 as the local ones had sold out by the time I made my mind up.

26. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

dessiato likes this.
  27. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

We’ve got a Miele upright. Had it about 8 years now I think and it’s still brilliant. Ours is a pet one which you won’t need.

28. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Henry gets my vote. efficient and quiet, the latter especially important.

e2a - we've had a range of uprights and others, both domestically and in a workshop.

29. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

What is this 'hoovering' you speak of? :confused:

kebabking likes this.
  30. ash

ash Inittogether

We had two Dyson that fell apart don’t try them. No got this Morphy Richards Supervac, cordless, light and a good suck!! Would recommend.

9391C039-B1F4-4413-A4FA-737D6FC96015.jpeg