Very Badly Soundproofed Flat Above Me

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Jonathan1990, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jonathan1990

Jonathan1990 Active Member

In July 2012 I moved into the newly refurbished flat. When they resurfaced the floor for the upstairs flat about me the construction men used balsa wood and every tenant that's been up there I've had issues with.

The first guy (an older man) moved in around August 2012 a month after me and I was soon annoyed by his stomping. I was into Hardcore music then and out of frustration found the hardest style I could find to dull the sound then. By October 2012 he was soon fed up and moved. He always gave me a nasty look every time I saw him out after that.

The second guy who was at the same school as I went to moved in around a couple of weeks later the same month. Again the same old problems I could hear him, he could hear me, we both hardly slept and got to the point of exploding. He then told me it's no ones fault and that it's made of that balsa wood. He fought the manager to get it soundproofed but had drinking problems and this only made his behaviour worse and he got moved into respite care in October 2016. I still talk to him on Facebook and he's a lot better now.

Throughout 2017 the upstairs flat remained silent and empty until this single Dad got it recently in February 2018 and the heavy stomping has started off all over again. Due to the fact that he can't sleep up there he's at a friends place a lot. Noisiest was at Easter when he brought his 5 year old daughter to run, jump about and scream up there. I however managed to keep my cool that day.

Just wondering what people on here can suggest about that as I've given plenty of description about the long time problem. It's not the stomping but the fact that they used balsa wood that's the problem. I've also complained to the managers over the years.

2. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

3. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

So you've spent the last 6 years using loud gabba (or whatever) as a weapon of retaliation to the point that you latest upstairs neighbour "can't sleep up there"? You utter numptie, you've basically got yourself in a situation where you're in no position to get your neighbour to cooperate with you to make things better, and you're likely to have no legal recourse against either the upstairs tenant or landlord for the noise - because any complaint you make about noise a much worse one can be made about you.

I know from experience that noise between badly insulated flats can be head doing in, but you've not helped yourself at all. Wooden floors as in a surface of wood that isn't the actual floorboards shouldn't be used in upstairs flats. Calm the music down, apologise to your neighbour, and ask them about getting some rugs down and make sure they take their shoes off in the flat. Sounds like you're already chilling out a bit about the noise on the odd weekend his daughter is there (get out of the house as much as you can maybe) - kids are kids, you can't expect them to be silent and being a part-time dad can be difficult, so good you've kept your cool there already. Then see if you can work together to get the landlord(s) to take the wood floor up, fit a carpet, and put a bit of insulation between the flats (I know this won't be an easy task - you've got my sympathy on that one).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Fez909, MrSki, SpookyFrank and 3 others like this.
  4. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Sound transfer is a particular problem in conversion flats especially if they were converted a while ago. It is not unusual for it to be written into the lease that wooden floors cannot be installed for this reason.

The key thing here is whether you own the flat and if so is a leasehold or share of the freehold?

5. keybored

keybored

Balsa wood flooring? Do you live in a dolls house?

6. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

If you want wooden floors in a situation like that you raise the floor on joists with strips of carpet fitted underneath. I did this once as part of sound proofing a recording studio.

PippinTook and Pickman's model like this.
  7. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Yes, I think who ever said it was balsa was mistaken or joking about the quality of the flooring being poor.

Balsa is a very soft wood that you can cut with a table knife. It would be vey unsuitable for flooring. If you had a dining chair and sat on it, the legs would sink into the floor.

weltweit, Slo-mo and blossie33 like this.
  8. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Misophonia? Common in autistics. Might want to invest in noise cancelling headphones.

9. Jonathan1990

That was in 2012 when I use to play gabber not now.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Find somewhere else to live.

11. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I had a similar issue years ago. It was so bad that you could hear the down stairs neighbour switching the light on. I contacted the housing association and also the noise pollution team, who came out to assess it. It resulted in the housing association having to move everyone and do works to reduce the noise pollution.

crossthebreeze and Celyn like this.
  12. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Cool fact of the day: Balsa is technically a hardwood.
    Now you can be really cool at dinner parties, like me.

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

My upstairs neighbours have wood floors. Its very annoying. But they are very considerate and try not to walk about in their living room at night.

I think it helps that their upstairs neighbours have wooden floors too, and they know whats annoying.

The lease clearly says no woodfloors. But no one has the cash to buy good carpets and underlay.

The best thing in managing it has been a quiet and calm conversation and whatsapp group.

Although it was very annoying when they went on a weeks holiday and their Alexa alarm was going off at 5:45 every morning. In the end I had to power off their entire flat at night and hope their freezer didn't defrost.

nogojones and ricbake like this.
  14. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

That's good to know. If ever sit on a chair and the legs sink into the floor, everyone can say "No! I am not overweight. It is a balsa wood floor". :D

15. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Why can't he sleep there? Not that I need care about where this unknown bloke sleeps, but why can't he? Does his flat also have a lot of noise from a flat above his?

16. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

me too. but then I got bored of Gabber.

17. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

But your upstairs neighbour is hardly ever there because he somehow can't sleep up there. Oh wait, first there was this single Dad who is your upstairs neighbour, but now you have upstairs neighbours (plural).

"power off their entire flat at night"? How would you be able to do that? :confused: Why did you have to do it at night?

18. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I'm not the OP :D
    I just flicked the switch by their electric meter before bed, so their alarm didn't go off at 5:45 and play all morning.

muscovyduck and Celyn like this.
  19. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Your picking apart the detail was let down somewhat by mixing up posters.

muscovyduck and Celyn like this.
  20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Eek! Very sorry. :(

joustmaster likes this.
  21. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I think I see the problem. The problem is you're a twat.

keybored, muscovyduck, Celyn and 2 others like this.
  22. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's not that difficult to soundproof the floor and ceiling and make it pretty quiet for both sides. The problem is that it takes money, and I guess your landlord isn't interested?

23. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

'Help, help, I deliberately drove an old bloke out of his flat'. Great stuff.

SpookyFrank, muscovyduck and Celyn like this.
  24. kalidarkone

First of all talk to your landlord about sound proofing.
    If they won't do anything about it then get in touch with your local government environmental health re noise pollution , they should come and assess it and come up with ways to improve the situation. If it's really bad then the landlord might legally be obliged to do the work. This may result in your rent going up. Just saying.

You are stupid for taking the noise problem personally and a cunt for taking it out on your neighbours.

keybored, muscovyduck, Celyn and 2 others like this.
  25. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Yes it was. :oops: I was genuinely thinking that the stories didn't match and wondering about it, but how was I to know that people would go around having names that start with the same letter? Damn sneaky trick, that. :D

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  26. kalidarkone

Don't worry about it, I do this all the time! Confused Dovydaitis and dessiato for years and vintage Paw and violent Panda ( it's the vp thing)

Celyn likes this.
  27. Jonathan1990

Have thought about doing that and it would cost a bit. Good thing I take insults easy on the internet these days. I'm used to that anyway after speaking to many Americans on Xat chatrooms.

28. keybored

keybored

Nonsense. You like eggs, right (who doesn't?)?
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 23.41.49.png

(disclaimer: may breach fire regulations. Wood shown is not actual balsa).

29. Jonathan1990

I like fried eggs yes.

30. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Earbuds
    /thread