Vegetarian recipes

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Mar 4, 2018.

1. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Ottolenghi can be hard work I agree- not something to whip up when you back back at 7PM. Without wishing to start a furore, the jamie oliver stuff can be decent - obviously he has nothing to do with this, but some the researchers for his site and books do come up with some serious good stuff

2. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

You're welcome.

polly, ringo and not-bono-ever like this.
  3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I'm going to try it today as it sort of looks in that daft cartoon film with the rat chef.

4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Sadly I couldn't resist adding a creamy sauce and covered up the smart looking layers.
    Tasty though. Shame it took so long to prepare.

I also stupidly added sweet potato to the layers for asthetic reasons and my daughter wasn't mad about it.
    I thought it all tasted pretty good though. SANY1377.JPG

5. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Layers? sweet potato? That's not ratatouille.

Epona likes this.
  6. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I did sweet potato for fun, (a mistake) but I didn't want to do the usual 'just chuck it all in thing' because I do roasted veg all the time.
    When I say layers, it looks like this under the top bit.

7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

The best thing about ratatouille is having aubergines and courgettes in the same dish makes it much more convenient for getting them both in the fucking dustbin.

Opera Buffa and Epona like this.
  8. Maggot

Proper ratatouille doesn't involve roasting. You do cook it in the oven though.

9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Then maybe my terminology is off. I call putting something in the oven roasting.
    That's what I did with this. I covered it and put it in the oven. Looked similar to the video above.

10. May Kasahara

<raises eyebrow>

sojourner and Maggot like this.
  11. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I'll try dosa tomorrow.
    I think I just have to get out of the habit of just having meat with everything. It's like giving up booze, just got to break a few bad habits.
    Wife and daughter have not complained yet but I don't think either are100% behind the no meat thing.

12. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Simple pasta dishes:
    arrabiata for one.. Lots of recipes for that out there but i make up or inherit most of mine:
    Eg
    Pasta with ..Onions + courgette/pepper/ veg of choice + double cream + herbs and pepper. V simple, v tasty..just wack it in a pan to cook while pasta boils

Vege Chile/fajitas. Make chili with qourn mince, wraps, sour cream, guacamole and cheese. Can give you a recipe if you want

Cous cous meal: in this order fry carrots, add Halved cashews, julienne baby corn, courgette and chopped vine toms. Season with ground coriander and cumin and S&P. Veg can be changed to your liking

Haloumi and cous cous: this one is lamb1979 's. recipe: cougette, chick peas, er prob peppers too, all fried off, haloumi griddled, dressing of oil, lime juice, mint, er maybe a bit more.. Can let you know more id you want... Its lush!!!

We eat meat but have various kids that don't so often eat veggie and i was veggie for the best part of 20 years.. Lots of fun, interesting food to make and its probably still my favourite way to make a meal :thumbs:

13. Mumbles274

got a mean vege lasagne recipe too.. Uses cashews again.. A great ingredient to use, so tasty

14. Mumbles274

for a roast dinner.. Just make a big cauliflower cheese with a crispy cheese topping as the main part rather than as a side. Lots of roasties, Yorkshire's, vege etc.. You wont miss the meat and i always found it was filling and tasty. Add leeks too if you want

Thimble Queen likes this.
  15. 8ball

8ball Up to something

16. Maggot

Dosa are quite tricky to make. I've tried a couple of times and they haven't worked either time.

Also , you could allow yourself some meat (or fish) as an occasional treat. Might make it easier.

17. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I said I was going to eat fish (though I only like mackerel and salmon). My kid an wife are involved too so I'm not going to stop dead unless they want to.
    I just thought taste wise, meat wasn't really the main part of the meals I make. Just a habit sticking it in.
    Ethics aside, I think it would be healthier and probably cheaper. Ethics are probably the main motivation, but I've eaten meat for so long knowing about the production.
    Currently treating it as a fun cooking challenge.

Maggot and ddraig like this.
  18. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

ATOMIC SUPLEX - do you like spicy food?

Because if you like salmon and like a bit of spice, I can tell you how I make blackened salmon (Cajun style), if you don't already have your own method.

19. pug

pug Well-Known Member

Italian style cannelini or borlotti bean soup.

20. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Sorry, my daughter won't go for that. . . Plus I like salmon as it is, cooked or raw. Don't like to add to it.

21. ATOMIC SUPLEX

This is a good idea. I'll try that Saturday.

pug likes this.
  22. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

That sounds really fit. I'd like to know how it's made :)

23. Epona

Got carried away and failed to remember that this is a thread for veggie recipes (someone else mentioned fish, but me posting it here doesn't seem appropriate) - will PM you the recipe!

24. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Fresh India by Meera Sodha is genius and the food is amazing. He website is rather good as well, Meera Sodha

I love chickpeas a little too much to be healthy, this is very tasty - Meera Sodha

polly and ATOMIC SUPLEX like this.
  25. Thimble Queen

Thank you :)

26. Epona

I sent you a PM, I forgot to say that if you don't like stuff really hot that amount of chilli powder is not set in stone, just reduce it according to your taste - it will still taste good with that mix of spices but a bit milder in terms of chilli :)

27. Thimble Queen

Thanks. I love spicy food.

28. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I've discovered I'm quite happy so far not to have meat. Already it seems completely unnecessary, though ordering food in the pub last weekend suddenly cut down a load of options .
    I'm not completely over it yet though, and while my daughter still wants ham sandwiches I am happy to provide. I would just rather not cook with meat for now (the wife is more than welcome to, but that is really only once a week at the moment).

anyway I digress, I was here for a question. I fancied making a roast dinner tonight as I have plenty of roasting time this afternoon and I won't get a chance this weekend.
    What can I do as a meat alternative that isn't nut roast?
    I want something that my wife and daughter will want more of. I'm thinking of baking a mushroom and spinach puff pie, but that's not really an alternative chicken, beef etc sub.

29. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

I roasted a whole cauliflower a couple of weeks ago as a straight alternative to a joint of meat. Cooked it for an hour or so basting with melted butter until soft when poked with a skewer. Internet said it would taste nutty, but that turned out to be because the outside burns. It was wonderfully tender in the middle but not as filling as meat so i ended up eating nearly the whole thing in one hit.

The one downside was that it made the flat reek of cauliflower for about a week...

miss direct and Maggot like this.
  30. May Kasahara

Roast a whole squash? If you get one of the round ones like onion squash, something that's nice is to cut the lid off like you would for a Halloween pumpkin, scoop out the middle, pour a load of sour cream, chopped garlic and black pepper in, then put the lid back on and bake till it's soft.

Maggot likes this.