Vegetarian recipes

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I did five out of seven days vegetarian last week (We had mackerel one day and chicken on another) and am thinking of going the whole hog. The food I cooked was fine and I didn't miss the meat at all. However, I'm running out of ideas. I'm also a bit worried that cheese is making waaaay too much of an appearance.

Any ideas?

ddraig likes this.
  2. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

What sort of thing do you enjoy eating/making?
    What meals have you tried already?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Carrots
    Wine

1. Pour wine
    2. Throw away Carrots
    3. Drink wine

shambler, UrbaneFox, 8ball and 3 others like this.
  4. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Ottolenghi :thumbs:

Everything Ottolenghi.

(Except for the meaty bits, obvs.)

5. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

6. mrs quoad

Last time I made that it gave two people thundering shits.

One of them had come to stay with us specifically for a bike race the next day.

She wasn’t too explicit about the consequences, but we haven’t seen her since. And that was four years ago!

RubyToogood and Schmetterling like this.
  7. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Essex Police could use that recipe!!!

I shouldn't laugh at your cyclist story- but lol.

This is also rather good...
    Mee goreng

Thimble Queen likes this.
  8. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I’ve made that twice. The first time it was amazing, it made me actually like tofu. The second inedible..

Lots of ottolenghi..

Wahacha cookbook summer tacos - corn and courgette, with salsa and guacamole

Just made some mushroom rolls, and some sausage ones for me!

Twice baked potatoes with fried onion, sweet corn and red peppers

Orzo with asparagus - boil orzo in veg stock, leave to drain completely and go cold. Steam asparagus but keep firm. Fry orzo in little hot oil, pressing down to get crispy edges, then add asparagus at the end. Squeeze of lemon and black pepper

9. mrs quoad

I’d agree. I thought it was awesome. First time.

It does need all the ingredients tho, and they are a pretty chuffing fierce combination.

Edit: I’ve subsequently made the crispy tofu alone and, tbh, wouldn’t bother. Needs the oomph.

10. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Veggie curries are ace, Indian or Thai inspired

Coconut milk goes great with sweet potato and cauliflower so a Thai green curry would be good. Something like mutter paneer is tasty and not too difficult to make. Egg curry is amazing!

Risotto, butternut squash or green veg (peas, asparagus).

Spanish tortilla, again vary the veg with what you have.

Maggot and kittyP like this.
  11. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I'm an omnivore, but my husband is pescetarian so we eat fish/seafood 2 or 3 times a week but the rest of the meals are vegetarian.

Veggie curries can be utterly fantastic, learn how to do a good curry sauce - you can do it in bulk and freeze it in portion sized containers to make it easy to whip up a curry any time, you can adjust the heat and spices as you go so can use it in different recipes with different heat.

Also pasta is a staple, there are a number of sauces I can make quite quickly now and always have the ingredients on hand for a number of options.

I was veggie for 25-30 years, the thing I missed most was roast dinners, just do them every so often with everything but the meat component - make something else the star of the meal (a vegetable gratin or something). A lot of the roast dinner appeal is in the accompaniments tbh - you could bung pretty much anything edible on a plate next to some roasties and yorkshires and veg and and gravy and I'd be happy :D

12. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

melanzane alla parmigiana

Truly the food of the gods. Bit of a faff to make, as frying the aubergine off first is IMO an essential step, but goddam... the first time I made it I nearly fainted.

I remember using this as a guide but not the exact recipe I used:

How to cook the perfect aubergine parmigiana

Doesn't solve your cheese issue - in fact it just adds to it - but done well it's just wow

Edit: fuck, just remembered Parmesan ain't veggie

sojourner likes this.
  13. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Easy peasy peanut butter lentil curry

Fry (red) onions and garlic and red chili in oil/butter/ghee
    Add 4 chopped carrots
    Add some cumin curry powder turmuric garam masala ginger salt pepper and or etc etc.
    Add cup or two of red lentils and fry them in
    Add 3 spoons of crunchy peanut butter
    Add water and cook for a bit but not too long. Needs some carrot crunch.
    I add tamari or vinegar or booze and stock cube usually but give it a taste first.

Serve on brown rice with almond flakes (or crushed peanuts -cheaper) and fresh coriander if you can get it.

I just had it with yoghurt and sour kraut earlier n was nommm.

Yes it's basically just a curry recipe tho, apologies. But I invented it and it's lush.

14. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Ahh that sounds lovely, I used to make a lovely peanut soup too.

Then I developed a peanut allergy o_o

15. ATOMIC SUPLEX

So far it's lentil curry, paneer curry, veg lasagne, thai curry, soba with veg. I don't want to do curry all the time.
    Roasted aubergine. I suppose I could do a roast dinner and just miss out the meat bit.
    I don't like quorn or other meat substitute stuff.

It's a shame, but I do really like slow cooked meats like beef cheeks and the like. Probably a bit healthier not eating meat too I suppose. We will probably still have one or two fish days, and maybe chicken now and then for the time being.

16. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Roast veg (squash, red onion, peppers, courgettes, aubergines if you must, garlic, sweet potato) with oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs chucked over. Have it with rice, pasta, cold the next day...

Ratatouille is lovely (and cheap).

Bean and pesto bake: fry chopped onion, garlic and herbs till soft, add a tin of tomatoes and some red pesto and stir; add beans of your choice (borlotti, cannellini, whatever) and simmer for about 10 MINS, then chuck in a baking dish, top with cheesy breadcrumbs and bake till golden. Or you can top with mashed potato, hotpot type potato or just slices of baguette with garlic butter over the top.

Beanburgers are dead easy to make. Apparently so are falafel but mine never stick together.

17. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

i made an aduki bean pie yesterday that is possibly the best thing in the world

polly and Thimble Queen like this.
  18. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Lentil and mushroom shep pie. Can be topped with sweet potato mash (add garlic, ginger, coriander, chilli and lime to the mash for proper zing).

19. not-bono-ever

I try to avoid the meat subs/ TVP options to be honest- they are cloying- you can run amok on vegetables with a bit of imagination and they taste far far better - eg a Lasagne with rattatouile rather than meat is a killer dish- or a ratatoule derived bake with spicy falafel rather than meatballs.

curries can be a bit meh after a while.

its pretty atisfying when you make soemthing that is well healthy, all vegetables and virtually fat free ( oil for frying onions aside)

20. 8ball

8ball Up to something

By "cloying" do you mean in a "40 days without pooing" kind of way?
    It's just that I bought a whole load of Quorn mince the other day...

21. Thimble Queen

I really like spicy seitan chunks in a wrap with nice things like hummus, pickles, chilli sauce and fresh herbs.

22. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Sounded yummy, but looking up the recipe it appears to be something I make all the time anyway.

23. Thimble Queen

I love bean burgers.... dead easy and cheap to make.... black bean, carrot and coriander burger. Yummmmmmy.

polly likes this.
  24. ATOMIC SUPLEX

One good thing is that most of what I cook with meat is always overflowing with vegetables anyway. My mince for instance was probably 70% carrot onion and tomato etc.

25. not-bono-ever

We delved ito quorn mince and it was deeply unsatisfying- went back to just bulking the meals out with exciting veg again. dumped a Kg of the mince- its didnt work for us. We used in it in Chili primarily. the bulgogi Korean experiment was just horrendous

but honestly . Mrs NBE home economics recipies from school and the Aduki bean pie( red dragon pie) is the best thing in the universe. I may take some pics of the recipe and post them up.Nom

Thimble Queen and 8ball like this.
  26. 8ball

8ball Up to something

I was thinking of using a little beef mince and stock and bulking it out with Quorn mince for a first go at a chilli.

27. Thimble Queen

We sometimes use bulgar wheat to bulk out stuff like chilli (which is already full of lovely tasty beans and veggies).

The thing I've found with quorn mince is that it can be pretty tasty if you cook it for double the time, but who's got time for that though :thumbs:

8ball likes this.
  28. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

jacket potato baked beans and salad

29. 8ball

8ball Up to something

No gary?

(gary first, obvs)

30. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Ottolenghi is good, but his recipes are often lon and complex. I prefer HFW and this book, in particular.

[​IMG]

Which is full of great recipes. He's also done a follow up book which is completely vegan.

sojourner and PursuedByBears like this.