VAR set to be used in the Premier League next season

Discussion in 'football' started by Argonia, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

2. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

About time too. Rugby has been very much improved by this kind of thing. No reason for it not to improve footie as well.

Argonia likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who's paying for it?

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

So unbelievably late to the game it's a joke.

5. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Dunno, plenty money in premier league.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Generally coming from the fans one way or another. I fucking hate everything it stands for.

Chilli.s likes this.
  7. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

It was shit in the world cup and it will be shit in the Premier League. Matches will end up being over 100mins long.

Badgers and Fez909 like this.
  8. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

They should use a tennis style system where the captain/manager only gets a certain amount of challanges per game.

Badgers likes this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I can't believe how many people are pro this.

Goal line technology was bad enough. This is worse.

There's now a huge difference between the game being played down the park and the Prem. This was not true until GLT.

:thumbs_down:

souljacker likes this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster I'm alright Javid

Should have happened years ago.

Badgers likes this.
  11. souljacker

I think goal line tech works because it doesn't slow the game down at all. It's also very binary. It either did or didn't beep on the refs watch. VAR though, you need to stop, spend ten minutes looking at the screen then make a decision that sometimes isn't actually a clear decision anyway. Also Rugby (and more extremely, NFL) are far more stoppy starty. Football matches can be won or lost on the momentum of the game. Every time you stop, you alter the flow (it's a well used tactic to try and stifle an oppositions momentum by slowing up play).

So I'm against VAR.

Fez909 likes this.
  12. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

I went to an A-League game in Brisbane last month and VaR was used for every goal and penalty decision. It was like watching the rugby with a big delay until you know what was being given. And then theres no communication with the fans so no-one has a clue whats going on and why something wasn't given. The other games I've seen on telly down there have similar incidents with it being used for every major referee decision instead of when there's a "clear and obvious error". Its crap.

13. souljacker

Bumping this thread to point out that, even with cameras and officials all over the pitch, the NFL can still get things wrong as seen in the NFC championship game this weekend. The saints would more than likely have gone on to win and head to the superbowl if this decision had gone their way: FA Cup: Best of Arsenal v Manchester United of last 20 years - BBC Sport

14. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill