Using less electricity

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by 8115, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 2hats

2hats

Most modern computers in sleep mode only draw a couple of W, if that. I always close the laptop (ie sleep it) but leave it plugged in (battery is well past its use by date).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

I've just stuck an SSD in mine, and done a fresh Ubuntu 17 install, in the hope that I might start to kick my habit of leaving it on.

3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagulls and wasps are brilliant!

No, cats are powered by the forces of hate and spite.

emanymton, A380, fishfinger and 2 others like this.
  4. 2hats

2hats

They are tribo/piezo-electrically charged: the more you stroke and cuddle them, the more you get out of them.

5. farmerbarleymow

And then they attack you for no reason other than that they are Satan's minions.

6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, I think this is quite out of date - eu regs which came in a couple of years ago put a limit of 1w on standby power usage.

If you’ve got a very old plasma telly it might be the case that it is expensive in standby mode. If all your appliances are less than 5 years old you are probably ok.

Alex

existentialist likes this.
  7. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I responded to a post about leaving a phone charger on all the time. The £80/year for all appliances estimate came later and (as said) I don't really believe it anyway, as it's getting on for half our household total electricity consumption.

:eek::eek:

8. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

Speaking broadly, water heating and space heating completely outweigh all other electricity uses. So you might consider:

1) switching to Economy 7, to take advantage of much the much cheaper tariff during the seven night-time hours - about one-third of daytime rates.
    2) replacing your electric convector heaters with storage heaters, preferably the new generation of much more economical "smart" storage heaters. With overnight charging, and dynamic adjustment to weather conditions, I would expect your space-heating bills to be more than halved. ( www.storageheatersales.co.uk/about-smart-storage-heaters
    www.elnur.co.uk/product-category/smart-storage-heaters/ Installed electric heating Quantum off-peak heater from Dimplex )
    3) heat your water overnight using Economy 7.

Some other things can do:

A380 and existentialist like this.
  9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

If you watch a lot of TV, you should think about investing in a modern, LED backlit TV. They use a fraction of power your old TV will be using.
    And LED lighting. It's massively cheaper than any other type.

10. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Is it just electricity that's cheaper in the future newbie?

newbie likes this.
  11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

If that includes inflation that’s practically free !

Calamity1971 likes this.
  12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I need to look at this. Just got a large electric bill despite all our heating being done on gas. :hmm:

13. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Are you sure? 3Kw is around 12A and a lighting circuit should be rated at 6A.

14. existentialist

If his flat is on two floors, there may well be a lighting circuit per floor...?

15. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

True but it's still a hell of a lot for lighting. Grow lamps? :hmm:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  16. 2hats

2hats

It wasn’t all on the lighting circuit; numerous lamps too. Lots of horrible 50W MR16 halogens blazing all over the place. Outdoor lighting probably wasn’t on it (I never examined it closely, just totted up the wattage and thought - no thank you).

17. existentialist

:D.

Our kitchen is prone to being dark. It is satisfactorily lit now, but it's taken the equivalent of 500W of incandencent lighting to do it. The hall, likewise, used to have 2x100W incandescents; the living room has a chandelier thing with 5 x 50W halogen bulbs, a 300W uplighter in the corner, and various table type lamps. And the other downstairs room has 150W of halogen equivalent, plus 2x60W wall lights. That lot adds up to just over 1500W if they were all on at the same time, so I think 2hats may have a valid excuse should he end up before the beak... *taps nose*

18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, my kitchen had 12 halogen spots in when I moved in so that’s 600w before you look at any other room.

Alex

19. farmerbarleymow

How is living down a converted disused coal mine suiting you? :D

A neighbour bypassing their meter only mistakenly hooking up their supply to yours. :hmm:

20. tripadvisah

tripadvisah Banned Banned

21. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Have you switched suppliers? Some better deals out there. Go on a price comparison web site. It is worth doing this.

A proper smart meter will help.

Heating and your fridge freezer will be the biggest demands. Water and cooking next. If you can’t switch the heating and water to gas then insulation is the way to go. Are you renting or owners? Insulation is the way to go. There are still some grants available in some places. But not as much as there was.

22. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Also worth noting how are you paying?

The warmer weather is here (or should be soon) so you'll be using less heat anyway. Most energy suppliers will work out your annual consumption and divide it by 12 so you're paying a fair amount each month, if you're prepay or on top up, then you'll have to pay for the electric you use there and then, but the flipside is, your usage should come down considerably over the next 5-6 months as you won't have any heating on.

If you can manage your finances if possible, work out your annual consumption and work out how much a month you need to put aside during these months to cover the next winter and it won't hit you so hard. You should still be able to find decent switches on prepay/top up so it's still l worth looking.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  23. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I don't want a smart meter supplied and fitted by an electricity company so I went and bought my own - we've got an OWL wireless meter

It's easy to fit and set up - from this I've learned that we have a basic "background" electricity consumption level of "around" £250-300 / year - that's with nothing major running just "stuff" that's either needs to be left on OR has been left on because we can't be arsed to switch it off or haven't realised that it's on

24. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

What you've bought is not a Smart Meter - it's simply an energy monitor.

Can I ask why you don't want a Smart Meter? They are free and mean you'll never have an estimated bill again.

A380 likes this.
  25. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I have something like this but whilst it may be proportional to energy used, it's not accurate. Also, what a_chap said.

26. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Most are not compatible with all suppliers, different suppliers use different tech, I change my supplier pretty much every time my deal runs out, so that's the main reason I've held off. Has this changed?

27. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I have "heard" that with a Smart Meter installed that there is the potential for the electricity supply to be disconnected remotely - <insert usual third/fourth/fifth gunman / alien abduction / Elvis is a live and well conspiracy theories here>

Also - it does away with a job of the meter reader - exactly why I still have paper bills and statements to help, in some small way, to safe guard the job of our post lady

Plus - Fuck 'em

A380 likes this.
  28. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

You need a second generation (SMETS2) meter, of which rollout has begun, or to swap to a provider who uses the same type of 1st gen kit as installed, or to get the meter replaced.

a_chap likes this.
  29. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

It still seems a hell of a lot for lighting. It's the equivalent of 60 50W bulbs. :eek: I only have 30 in a 4 bed house including the lights in the cellar, out house garage and garden.

As the LED 60W equivalent bulbs I have are only around 7.5W then for you to be using 75W now you would have only had 10 lights not 50-60. Something doesn't seem to add up.

a_chap likes this.
  30. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

I suspect this is the reason most people are playing silly buggers when it comes to having a Smart meter installed.

It only adds to the overall cost of the rollout. We'll all end up paying the increased costs. :(

A380 likes this.