US Opioid crisis

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by gosub, Mar 21, 2018.

1. gosub

gosub ~#

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

Some how I would have put this in the "What stupid shit has Trump done today?" thread :)

CRI likes this.
  3. gosub

gosub ~#

This problem will take longer to deal with than Trump's Presidency.

pogofish, fishfinger and NoXion like this.
  4. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

stockwelljonny likes this.
  5. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

yes, really good article

6. gosub

gosub ~#

Article says the fella is dead anyway. Its not the way to go IMO anyway. If BIG PHARMA have to pay big bucks in fines over this already, why is there only $57,000 in the pot for dealing with the issue?

7. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

its sorta a copy of a copy but you get the gist- I am sure many urbs will not be unaware at the advertising of prescription meds on common or garden telly in the USA

8. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

9. gosub

gosub ~#

Even if you hold branded Big Pharma's feet to the fire you have the generics and cheap Chinese et al knock offs you can order on line.

10. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

"Ask your physician for...."

Yeah, proper sinister to a Brit.
    Didn't really occur to me that they were actually flogging strong opiates this way, though. Probably because a lot of the celebrity deaths seem to have involved what we might call "under the table" prescribing.

11. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

a friend had to order some diaz online for chronic shoulder issues and to be able relax on long haul flights . the vendor offered a bogoff freebie batchb from a list of other generics for being a first order. he declined this generous offer - and yes, amongst those meds were a category packed full of opioids. Its pretty shocking how easy it is to get them actually

12. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

It's fentanyl that's wreaking havoc. Seems you injure yourself, doc prescribes some opiate pain relief, and again and again, then stops once you're hooked, so you look elsewhere (the net) and at some point fentanyl arrives instead of what you ordered and you die without ever knowing what it was that killed you. 100's of 1000's of people, Whacko, Prince and so on :(

equationgirl and not-bono-ever like this.
  13. 8ball

My limited experience of fentanyl is that it's bloody horrible. Made me depressed as fuck for 3 days following it. Maybe that helps people get hooked.

I thought it was propofol with Jackson. Which is a weird as fuck thing to be hooked on. Though weird as fuck to be taking it without airway support etc. in the first place.

14. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

He was on both AFAIR. Propofol doesn't provide pain relief, so the two can go together, if you're done with living...

angusmcfangus likes this.
  15. yield

yield zero

F.D.A. approves powerful new opioid despite warnings of likely abuse
    02/11/18
    2017 was the worst year ever for drug overdose deaths in America
    16/08/17

seventh bullet likes this.
  16. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Isn't fentanyl itself such a powerful opioid, that the tiniest dose can be lethal unless your body is already seriously used to banging down the heavy shit? Why on Earth would anyone need anything ten times more powerful than that?

17. 8ball

People will take what they can get when hooked on it.

18. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I meant more in terms of medical application. The article says it's for acute pain? Then why so strong? I thought medical practice was to start on the lighter stuff beforehand, only moving onto stronger stuff if the pain persists, i.e. it turns out to be chronic rather than acute.

But then again I know barely anything about pharmacology, so maybe there is some medical reasoning behind it.

19. 8ball

Sometimes it is used as an adjunct to general anaesthetics (it means you can use less propofol and get the patient up faster), but in that case it’s still unwarranted in terms of personal prescribing.

Maybe someone here knows more than me on this point.

20. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Acute in medical terms generally means short duration / recent so had nothing to do with level of pain. Drugs like Fentanyl are given where pain is extreme e.g. Fucking hurts. Normally is for short term use while the underlying cause is removed by other means.

21. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Palliative care, when you've already worked your way up through the other available options?

And it's also about dose. OK it's 10 X stronger, you may find that they are giving doses 10 X smaller. I'm not sure about this particular med, but different opiates have different halflives in the body, so there may be a use for it because of this.

Poi E and yield like this.
  22. yield

yield zero

The making of an opioid epidemic
    08/11/18
    Worth a read.

seventh bullet likes this.
  23. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Acute pain is the medical term for pain of any intensity that is not long term. Plus some types of pain are not responsive to other painkillers. Renal pain is hard to treat, for example, and has been likened in equivalence to the pain of child birth. Chronic pain is long term pain.

The term chronic is usually taken to mean 'bad' rather than 'long term'.

NoXion likes this.