Us (Jordan Peele's 2019 horror film) SPOILER THREAD

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Orang Utan, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I hope the film is successful enough to make this thread worth starting, but I want to talk about this and have not had the chance to with anyone IRL.
    So many references to unearth (some of which are no doubt empty or red herrings).
    So many questions about the Untethered - practical as well as existential.
    My first thought was 'where are all the staff to run this?' If you're running a secret programme with doubles of the entire population in tunnels underneath America, the logistics of it are mind-boggling. And if they're subsisting on raw rabbit, they wouldn't last long as anyone whose ever watched QI or Ray Mears will know. And when a person travels does their double go somewhere too? What if they go on holiday abroad?

yield likes this.
  2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

The underground place was abandoned ages ago, they said. The rabbits are GM clones so must be edible and nutritious otherwise they wouldn't be there...unless they were a metaphor or such for something else.

3. Orang Utan

A lot of the references are very vague and some of them a bit too on-the-nose (like the VHSs at the beginning). some of it is a bit of a con I reckon - 'if we stick this in, people might think it's a metaphor for something or other'.
    I'm sure the red boiler suits and the single gloves are a reference to Michael Jackson and Thriller cos the girl at the beginning wins a Thriller t-shirt, but maybe it's nothing more than that - a reference for us to notice.

4. DexterTCN

The single gloves are also a reference to Nightmare on Elm Street.

And I love Da Luniz so I liked that.

ebonics and Orang Utan like this.
  5. Orang Utan

Aye - of course! And that also doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, yet remains a terrifying horror film all the same.

6. Orang Utan

I loved it when the score used elements of it during one of the action setpieces.

7. Orang Utan

I'm sure the rabbits are also a ref to Alice In Wonderland

8. DexterTCN

Yup...there was a shot of Adelaide going down the stairs in the hall of mirrors that was Alice too.

9. Orang Utan

This film has really got under my skin - watched it twice this weekend - it deffo needs a rewatch. A film you get more out of in the digestion than in the eating if that makes sense. Parsing, I think it's called, if you read Cahiers Du Cinema

10. DexterTCN

Here you go.

11. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

Who doesn't read Cahiers Du Cinema?

This film really worked on me, in a parsing sort of way.

If it is considered literally, it is very loose, the plot holes make no sense.

However, I think that is it's power, it is open to a wide open kind of interpretation, and works on a more symbolic kind of level.

I think this is a powerful film, like you said one to digest. It's definitely got me thinking.

Orang Utan likes this.
  12. Orang Utan

I've never read it! Someone used the word in a podcast!

13. Orang Utan

Listened to Peele talking about it on a podcast. The Black Flag t-shirts that are worn two different characters - their logo is four black lines, which is another reference to Jeremiah 11:11

CNT36 and DexterTCN like this.
  14. DexterTCN

15. DexterTCN

^^^ one of the youtube comments is

16. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

@iandunt went on Wednesday night and Tweeted that it was "perfection".

So I'm going, because I'm suggestable and easily led like that.

DexterTCN likes this.
  17. Orang Utan

Who is he?

18. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

I went to see this tonight and absolutely loved it. I found it genuinely terrifying and also very funny. I laughed out loud at the "call the police" music joke and squirmed in my seat at the scariest parts. I don't really want to analyse it. I just loved it.

CNT36 and Sue like this.
  19. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Peele is, apparently, afraid of rabbits. So that could just be that.

Quite brilliant, all in all, though I can’t work out when Jason got switched.

20. Mrs Miggins

I am terrible for not spotting the big twist in most films but I really didn't see this one coming. Am I just a twat? :D Was it obvious to everyone else?

21. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I also laughed at the performance art quip as I was thinking that just before it was said...

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  22. Orang Utan

Do you think that happened? Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

23. Mrs Miggins

That look between them at the end suggested either that he suspected or he'd worked it out or that he had been switched.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  24. Mrs Miggins

Actually the more I think about it, the kid had been switched. There was something going on with that magic trick, the getting him to click his fingers, there was a recognition when she first saw his burnt face, the fact that he "puppeted" his opposite into the fire and that look at the end. Deffo.

25. Orang Utan

I thought the look was to his mum indicating that he'd realised SHE'D been swapped

Thimble Queen and Maltin like this.
  26. Orang Utan

But Pluto has a scarred face, Jason doesn't.
    I don't think Peele means to indicate that Jason has switched with him, it's just Adeleide and Red who have.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  27. belboid

Possibly. That look at the end had more to it, maybe. Like MrsM says, there was definitely something about that magic trick, it must have actually worked for Pluto, and things are more likely to work in the Upper World. I suspect there are quite a few things in there which are just meant to fuck with us. I was sure the two people on Black Flag tshirts must be deeply symbolic of..something, but eventually decided it's just another way of getting a couple of 11:11's out there.

I have been thinking about it ever since, and probably should re-see it already.

Orang Utan likes this.
  28. Orang Utan

Pluto burned up before he could be swapped though, and if it his him in the final shots why doesn't he have scars on his face? I think he looks at his 'mum' like that and puts his mask back up cos he doesn't trust her

29. belboid

cos they were swapped earlier, the magic trick somehow worked, and swapped them at the same time. or something. I'm not convinced it is a completely coherent theory, though, as you point out, there are various points it isn't completely coherent on.

30. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

One theory I saw was that every time Jason tries to light the flame it does actually light in the shadow world and that explains Pluto’s burns.

Near the beginning of the movie the dad talks about Jason not being the same since grandma died last year, perhaps it was around that time he was switched, if the theory holds up.