US embassy moving "to Nine Elms"...

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by laptop, Oct 2, 2008.

1. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Odd story:

But where?

Here's the satellite photo:

So are they taking Battersea Power Station, or its site?

Nooo....

Or the dogs' home?

Or what?

Whatever, it looks like they want a fortress... wonder why?

2. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

because there are a few radical people of a certain religion in the UK? mabye there are better places to eat nearby? rent is cheaper? i don't know...

3. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

they've been on about moving for ages. sitting on prime real estate even aside from the security point of view.

odd choice though, expected it to be further out.

that should fuck the traffic in Vauxhall even more

4. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I think they're moving there cos it's outside the congestion zone.

5. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Depends where it is, I suppose. Battersea Power Station or nearby would make sense from a security point of view (though it would put the kibosh on anyone else using it for development) given the requirements. The rest is too industrialized or too close to main roads though, there would be lorries all over the place.

Actually getting to it would be a bit mad as well.

6. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

Really? I do know they've been in conflict over this for a loooonnnggg time

7. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Mi6 is in Vauxhall as is Tintagel House.

So I guess the area is well covered.

No one can attack.

Apart from a Paddy with a rocket launcher :D

8. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

or the massed gurning hordes leaving the clubs of vauxhall :D

9. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

The property trade rags seem to think that the US are buying a five acre site from Ballymore which had previously been slated for the "Nine Elms" development. It involved redeveloping the current low rise industrial units off Ponton Road and Post Office Way.

How many Londoners are currently employed on the site?

10. _pH_

_pH_ .

good, let them move. then grosvenor square can stop looking like a fortress.

11. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

The REAL reasons for moving.......

I reckon they want the power station, they can use the chimheys as secret rocket launchers to fool the ruskies who fink all the rockets are moving to Poland

(I' abit depressed though, I used to enjoy shouting at the building while looking at all the nice trees)

I suppose its easier for them to park their armoured vehicles down that way

OR its ouside the congestion charge - they already owe fucking millions on that!!!!:D:D

12. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Surely they'll still be driving their cadillacs and humwees into the congestion charge area to visit fellow ambassadors/ government ministers and to buy their Ferrero Roche supplies.

I like the Times coverage of the matter - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4870269.ece - "Diplomats will swap London’s premier residential and shopping district for a former industrial site in an area renowned for its hard-core gay clubs. "

13. nick h.

nick h. Eat

My guess is that they'll demolish some old buildings in the area of the market because they'll want to be reasonably close to Vauxhall station. If somebody hadn't pinched my motorbike I'd snoop around there and look for stuff that's empty or been sold recently.

Maybe they'll build on the river bank? Could be handy to have the river as an alternative means of transport.

I wonder if they'll try to get permission for a helipad?

14. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

15. vauxhallmum

vauxhallmum had to scrap the cheap car

Or me?

Because I will be proper cross if they flatten that Market:mad:

16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

If they do get a riverbank site, then they may well do, given the overflying limitations imposed anywhere but over the Thames.

17. Maggot

Isn't there a helipad very close to there already?

18. nick h.

nick h. Eat

It's 5 minutes away and it's public - I bet they want their own one so they can evacuate when our economy collapses and we're all fighting for food in the streets.

[​IMG]

19. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

the US dept of state said:

no, actually they didn't say that :D

20. TomPaine

TomPaine New Member

Judging by the economic situation in the states, I recon they will be moving into a three bed semi in Hackney, as that's all several million $ is going to get ou in a couple of months ;).

TomPaine

21. zoltan

zoltan Transnistria festishist

I went past Battersea power station the othe week on the train and thought that it would be best used as a train station - a bit fat, sleek efficient train station to replace take some of the the pressure off the crowded Victoria and Waterloo stuff - all that land & fantastic connections south

I never thought the US of A would be annexing it

22. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

That's all I need when leaving a club. Americans and bunches of idiots with nothing to do but red drive around in red police cars. Could we not use one of those old forts stuck out in the middle of the Thames estuary for them.

Grrrr.

23. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Many diplomats, including the American variety, are refusing to pay the congestion charge, they say it's a tax and therefore they are exempt. ;)

24. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

There is a Sainsbury and a pub that serves Welsh beer ....

25. Maggot

I know. That's why i said it!

26. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I never thought that :D

Your Honour...

27. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Love the water?

[​IMG]

This sort of thing may make a riverside location of less interest to em

28. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

If I were a terrorist I'd probably be happy my target is near a main waterway. I could be wrong but it seems to me it's safer to move along the river than to use the roads.

Anyways, I wonder if MI6 are already digging a tunnel towards the site as we speak :D

29. Al Kahul

Al Kahul New Member

It will be really usefull for late night trips to "the Hoist"

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm inside it now. It's very flash. Seats are very comfy too.

8ball likes this.