Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US Democratic Party Primaries 2019

petee

i'm spartacus
Probably not as controversial as it sounds. Didn't Trump identify as a democrat for a while? Then you have Bloomberg now running on a Democrat ticket, who was a Republican mayor for years.
and before that he said on charlie rose, 'i am a liberal democrat."

petee

i'm spartacus
My song is concernin’
Three sons of great earnin’
Butty and Biden and Bern.
They worked out that riddle
The left wing and Middle,
They took in far higher
Than ould Tommy Steyer
And fanned up the glimmo
Abandoned by Beto

(alcohol played no role in this.)

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
Sanders tops the most current polls:

A CBS News poll released Sunday continued the deluge of positive Sanders polls to kick off 2020, showing that the senator has emerged as the clear frontrunner with 27 percent of support to Biden's 25 percent. Similarly, an Iowa poll found Sanders, Biden and Buttigieg all tied for first place in the kickoff primary caucus state.

It looks as if when other contenders drop out, their supporters line up behind the more progressive candidates that remain.

petee

i'm spartacus

"Bloomberg’s massive campaign apparatus and an army of some 500 staffers will march on through the general election in November even if he loses the Democratic nomination, campaign officials tell NBC News, shifting their efforts toward working to elect whomever the party selects to face President Donald Trump."

bloomie bought $10M of superb owl ads, and when the trumpers heard, they went and did the same. Bloomberg’s ads have gone right at trump where he thinks he's safe and they've been excellent, but i don't discount the sophistical ability of the trump team to answer.

skyscraper101

0891 50 50 50

"Bloomberg’s massive campaign apparatus and an army of some 500 staffers will march on through the general election in November even if he loses the Democratic nomination, campaign officials tell NBC News, shifting their efforts toward working to elect whomever the party selects to face President Donald Trump."

bloomie bought $10M of superb owl ads, and when the trumpers heard, they went and did the same. Bloomberg’s ads have gone right at trump where he thinks he's safe and they've been excellent, but i don't discount the sophistical ability of the trump team to answer.
I love this. Bloomberg's the only one I'd put money on right now.

Idris2002

Taffy, you're a genius!
So. . . the ratfucking (attempted) of Bernie. . . what do we reckon? Basically ineffectual? It does read to me like it's of interest only to the terminally online.

N_igma

Epistemic nuisance
So. . . the ratfucking (attempted) of Bernie. . . what do we reckon? Basically ineffectual? It does read to me like it's of interest only to the terminally online.
It’s the last throw of the dice by Warren because she can’t beat him on policy or popularity amongst progressives. It’s a low blow in my opinion, I thought she was above all that sort of stuff but clearly not.

What blows my mind is how Biden is still in the top 2 of the pack despite time and time again making cringeworthy gaffes, slurring his lines etc. Trump would absolutely destroy him in the debates and campaign trail.

flypanam

arise, worried prophets
It's stupid by Warren, not least because as far back as 1988 BS said a women could be president* and she has a history of straight out lying.

With Biden I think it's not his ability or even persona it's that he's still got a dusting of Obama all over him, (even though Obama doesn't seem to care at the moment.) and I guess the Obama presidency is looked upon by some as a golden era, which it wasn't and uncle Joe plays to that.

* I've no evidence for this other than it was mentioned on this weeks Chapo.

N_igma

Epistemic nuisance
It's stupid by Warren, not least because as far back as 1988 BS said a women could be president* and she has a history of straight out lying.

With Biden I think it's not his ability or even persona it's that he's still got a dusting of Obama all over him, (even though Obama doesn't seem to care at the moment.) and I guess the Obama presidency is looked upon by some as a golden era, which it wasn't and uncle Joe plays to that.

* I've no evidence for this other than it was mentioned on this weeks Chapo.
You can see the clip at 2:25 on this video here.

Yeh Obama hasn’t come out and endorsed him which says everything you need to know. I think he even said ‘you don’t have to do this Joe’ lol.

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
I think I'm probably the core demographic that was aimed at. If it was, they failed. Its too out of alignment with everything he's ever said for decades. The only thing it changed was that now I'd be less likely to consider her a good VP addition to the Sanders ticket.

Last edited:

petee

i'm spartacus
It’s a low blow in my opinion, I thought she was above all that sort of stuff but clearly not.
here's an exchange from last year. there are no winners in this.

“How would you react,” she was asked, “to a supporter who said to you, ‘I’m old-fashioned and my faith teaches me that marriage is between one man and one woman.’” Warren replied, “Well, I’m going to assume it’s a guy who said that. And I’m going to say, then just marry one woman. I’m cool with that. Assuming you can find one.”

1: there are plenty of women in this country who would say the same, a thing that anyone would know.
2: "if you can find one" - nice.

so she's got form for this.

skyscraper101

0891 50 50 50
Are you actually for real? Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.
Totally. Notwithstanding that it's amusing watching a guy with even more money Trump take it to him on ad spend alone, but I rate his ability to govern. His mayorship in NY was a largely successful one for the city (I know stop and frisk etc, but he's since owned this and apologized, and sure nobody's perfect), and he mostly hires the right people around him. Also his views on guns, big tobacco, and climate change are sound.

I'm just not feeling it from any of the others.

N_igma

Epistemic nuisance
Totally. Notwithstanding that it's amusing watching a guy with even more money Trump take it to him on ad spend alone, but I rate his ability to govern. His mayorship in NY was a largely successful one for the city (I know stop and frisk etc, but he's since owned this and apologized, and sure nobody's perfect), and he mostly hires the right people around him. Also his views on guns, big tobacco, and climate change are sound.

I'm just not feeling it from any of the others.
This man is literally trying to buy the Presidency and you think that’s a good thing?

He was caught using prisoners to make campaign calls, is a former Republican, has a history of unwarranted sexual harassment towards women, his policies oversaw the rapid gentrification of NYC pushing working class people out of their homes, promotes regressive taxation, is against the legalisation of cannabis, targeted ethnic minorities for stop and searches whilst mayor. I could go on and on the man is absolute vermin.

imposs1904

Thread Killa'
The CNN pundits loved it and tried to spin as an important moment for Warren. I thought it looked a bit shit.

imposs1904

Thread Killa'
I think I'm probably the core demographic that was aimed at. If it was, they failed. Its too out of alignment with everything he's ever said for decades. The only thing it changed was that now I'd be less likely to consider her a good VP addition to the Sanders ticket.
For purely geographical reasons - daft I know - Sanders and Warren were never going to be on the same ticket.

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
For purely geographical reasons - daft I know - Sanders and Warren were never going to be on the same ticket.
Yep. They tend to choose VP candidates on the basis of what voters they need to pull in that the Presidential candidate won't. Usually, that works out as a gimme to the southern states.

Last edited:

N_igma

Epistemic nuisance
Begs the question, ‘who will Sanders run with if he gets the nomination’? I honestly have no idea.