US Democratic Party Primaries 2019

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 perkins saved by moscow gold

Obviously, the best outcome is that Sanders sweeps the primaries and proceeds to purge the "Democratic party" of the various simps, feebs, and three-time losers that infest its ranks. In the meantime, he has to overcome Warren's obvious spoiler candidacy, and fend off rat finks like "Beto" O'Rourke (who isn't Hispanic at all, but who has strangely not yet copped any flak for his cultural appropriation).

In the meantime, though, we should be able to get some thread mileage of the danse macabre that will be this years' democratic primaries.

Over to you, folks.

Why the Differences Between Sanders and Warren Matter

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

kamala harris is apparently tied in with subprime somehow. I'll check when I can be arsed. In any case I have seen ameridem recoiling in disgust from the name because of this.
    that beto bloke is the scion of ultra wealth so.

NoXion likes this.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Has Joe Biden said a definite no?

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

Can I just confirm that anyone who fails to back warren is a massive misogynist now?

Fez909 and NoXion like this.
  5. Idris2002

I listened to episodes 81 and 87 of Dead Pundits Society last night, and the one about Warren vs Sanders is damning (of Warren) - and as for K. Harris, she seems to be an utterly appalling individual:

Dead Pundits Society podcast

flypanam, yield and DotCommunist like this.
  6. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Nope - won't happen. Too old, too many skeletons in closet that didn't come out last time but will now, still alienating African American and women, and still not a member of the Democratic Party, so hardest of passes.

See also: Trump-Loyal Senators Make Russian Oligarch’s Day – Rolling Stone

7. Idris2002

He's vigorous for his age. And all he has to do is nominate some young red as vice-president - and then the purge will begin.

And if the Democrats don't go with him, then they will destroy themselves - which will be a bad result for America, but not so much for the rest of the world.

8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Also, think it's way too early to be thinking about the 2020 candidates. US is in the middle of an increasing constitutional crisis. It's not even a given that there will BE elections in 2020.

9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

they are still in the denial phase, I expect them to stand warren or similar and lose to trump again tbf.

Nylock likes this.
  11. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

You really don't understand the Democratic Party - particular it's voting and activist base. It's not the bright young things who unironically attack Congresswoman Pelosi for being an old fuddy duddy who needs to go but worship at the feet of Senator Sanders, who's only a year younger and not even an actual member of the Democratic Party. The backbone and heart of the party is African American women, women generally and men and women of colour specifically. That's who enabled the House of Representatives to flip (and could have taken more Senate and Governorships if not for the GOP cheating.)

He was dismissive when multiple claims of sexual harassment by his senior campaign staffers came out recently. Sure, he "met with" the complainants the other day, but first impressions do count.

He still absolutely does not "get" racism, and if anything, I've seen only hardening views against him by the people who made the massive flip in the House of Representatives happen. He'll also not get the time of day from Democrats who are closer to the centre on some issues (e.g. socially liberal but fiscally more centerist, or other way round) in the Heartland areas.

If Sanders wants to give the policies he favours the best chance of being adopted, he needs first of all to put full throated support behind colleagues in the House and Senate and statehouses who are trying to halt the nation's further descent into chaos and authoritarianism, so there actually might BE a chance of implementing these in future. I won't go as far as saying he needs to take up knitting, but like Clinton, he needs to step away from the ring and lend support to politicians who have a genuine opportunity to take policies forward in state legislatures and the US Congress.

It would also help if he'd fully condemn the people on social media who routinely attack particularly Black women activists. Many if not most are bots and trolls, paid to stir up discord generally, but it would be good if he could frequently issue a PSA saying, "not in my name," at the very least, instead of ignoring the abuse from people (mostly male profiles) that claim to be his supporters.

Neither Clinton nor Sanders should run again, period. Biden should stay out of the race as well. Who should be in there? Too early to call.

12. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I think there will be elections in 2020. The big question is if they're going to be free and fair elections. I'm leaning into the doubtful side on that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    krtek a houby and CRI like this.
  13. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Yes, I think you are right about this. :( They won't have fixed the gerrymandering, the voter suppression or increased security of voting processes for starters. There could be the "appearance" of an ordinary election, but the outcome already pretty well a done deal.

I'm still not convinced that there won't be an event or events that will mean the election is "suspended" or "delayed." Longer the shut down goes on, the more chances that something like that could happen.

I'm not normally a pessimist, honestly. :(

14. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Not sure I can remember the last free and fair election, tbh :(

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  15. Idris2002

campanula, DotCommunist and petee like this.
  16. Yuwipi Woman

Me either. :(

It seems to be getting worse with each election.

krtek a houby likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

how can they be free elections when they're all paid for?

moochedit likes this.
  18. Yuwipi Woman

The short answer is that they can't.

19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

quite so. and pretty much every one since 1876 has been bought

20. Yuwipi Woman

TBH, I don't mind if there is *some* corruption in government. You can try to root it out and it will still always be there to some extent. The Citizen's United decision pushed the US way into the "too much corruption" slop bucket. Before they had to do it in ways that preserved the appearance of being honest and fair. Now the money is so openly given as bribes without any accounting what-so-ever that its reached an untenable point.

21. butchersapron

I think it's pretty tenable. Esp if racist scum like sanders are kept off the ballot.

22. petee

petee i'm spartacus

no no, that's if you fail to back harris.

imposs1904 likes this.
  23. Yuwipi Woman

If that's a hint that I should address CRI's post about Sanders, I will. I'm still unpacking it in my mind. As a Sanders supporter, I disagree with so much of it, that I'm unsure where to begin.

NoXion likes this.
  24. butchersapron

You can also be al qaidea if you fail to back Gabbard.

25. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I thought conspiracyloonery was supposed to banned from this forum.

26. petee

petee i'm spartacus

Sasaferrato likes this.
  27. tim

tim EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)

Don't be silly!

moochedit likes this.
  28. Yuwipi Woman

If the leadership of the Democratic Party were worth anything, they should be absolutely terrified, that their own party members are looking to someone with only loose ties to the party for leadership. Its astounding that democrats are so annoyed with their own leadership, that he was able to come close to winning nomination as their Presidential candidate. The party leadership were caught so flat-footed that they had to do some really underhanded things to torpedo his campaign. This is not democratic in any sense of the word. The party leadership should be listening to the message this sends, but they're completely deaf to it. It is they who don't understand their own party.

Sasaferrato and Idris2002 like this.
  29. Yuwipi Woman

I live in the "Heartland" and Sanders took the state. His supporters are now firmly in control of the Nebraska Democratic Party. He also took Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, North Dakota, Wisconsin, etc. Here's a graphic showing what parts of the US supports him the most. It's mostly the northern coasts and .... the heartland. There's a lot more going on in progressive politics in the flyover states than the Democratic party would like you to believe.

If you look at the graphic for Hillary Clinton, its not the heartland where she gets her support. Most of her support comes from the south and southern seaboard.

Detailed Maps of Where Trump, Cruz, Clinton and Sanders Have Won

The Sanders/Clinton divide is mostly a north/south divide.

<edited to add>
    Here's a graphic (Wikipedia) that show the divide more clearly:

States Sanders won by vote in green:

[​IMG]

30. butchersapron

You've done a v good job of doing so.