Urban75 Album of the Year 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Dec 1, 2018.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Here we go again. The highlight of everyone's year. The only list that matters. etc etc. It's the Urban75 Album of the Year vote, 2018 edition.

A reminder of those rules again:

1. You PM me a list of your favourite records that were released since December 15 2017. In order, from 1 to whatever number you feel like, but nothing after 20 will count. SOMETIME BEFORE DECEMBER 16TH
    2. I assign points based on your orders of preference. NOTE: If you simply submit a list, unnumbered, I will assume it is in order of 1 to whatever, unless you tell me different
    3. Sometime nearer Christmas I give you a rundown, TOTP style, of the top 30, and you lot bicker, complain, and heckle.

In previous years:

2005: Urban 75's albums of the year... The Countdown Begins!
    2006: urban75's albums of the year 2006
    2007: U75's albums of the year 2007
    2008: Albums Of The Year 2008
    2009: Urban75's Album of the Year - The Countdown
    2010 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2010
    2011 - Urban75 Album of the Year - The Results
    2012 - Urban 75's Albums of the Year... The Results!
    2013 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2013 - The Results
    2014 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2014 - The Results
    2015 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2015 - The Results
    2016 - Urban75's Album of the Year 2016 - The Results!
    2017 - Urban75 Album of the Year 2017 - The Results!

As dubiously agreed in previous years, to qualify as an album, it must be a new or live recording that was released after December 15 2017 in the UK. Does that pack of 7"s count? That seventeen minute white noise workout only available as an app? Well, no it doesn't, not in my book, but if you don't tell me otherwise, I wont know. What about that forty year old album that has been hiding under a bed since the artist died? Yup, absolutely.

Results will be posted around December 17thish - giving you time to go and buy your niece/nephew the No.1 to show you're 'hip' and down with the kids.

Polite requests: Please don’t reveal your list on this thread, save it till the final list is up. Otherwise it can start to become too apparent who is a likely winner.

Please send me your list going from first to last, not vice versa, and with the artist listed before the album title, no need to put the numbers in, I only remove them straight away anyway.

And that’s about it, I think....let the arguments begin, n the lists flow....

Some lists for your consideration:
    Pitchfork's Best Albums of 2018
    NME's Best Albums of 2018
    The Hot Press Albums Of The Year 2018 | Hotpress
    The Best Albums of 2018
    The 25 Best Albums of 2018 So Far
    The Official Top 40 biggest albums of 2018 so far
    The Best Albums of the Year 2018 | Norman Records UK
    List of 2018 albums - Wikipedia

dfm, FabricLiveBaby!, editor and 7 others like this.
  2. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Woo!

dfm, Rebelda and billy_bob like this.
  3. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

It really is.

kropotkin likes this.
  4. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'm composing my list at the moment, going through the records I've got this year. There's a late challenger for top spot.

5. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Think my top spot has been pretty decided since around February.

6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Can't decide between Ariana Grande's Sweetener and Ed Shearan's Divide.

On the one hand, Ariana's trap-influenced EDM-channeling meditation on anxiety fills my yearning for downbeat counter-melodies, but Ed's everyman trite innocence strikes a chord at my very being that I find hard to describe (in the best possible way).

2018 has been a strong year. I'll have to think very caerfully about my list.

dfm, Orang Utan, kropotkin and 4 others like this.
  7. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I think you'll plump for Ed tbf

kropotkin and Fez909 like this.
  8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

cheeky cunt :mad::D

marty21 likes this.
  9. dialectician

dialectician Minimal Donk

hmm. quite a few reissues

10. dialectician

the thought of going through pitchfork reviews is making me want to beat my head with a hammer tbh. Wish Simon Reynolds wrote more about new music. so much more invigorating.

11. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Yep. I dutifully go through the Pitchfork etc. lists before submitting anything to Belboid, because I'm anal like that. But then I always find the Urban list includes virtually everything I liked from those other lists anyway.

12. billy_bob

:D It sometimes feels like they're contorting the language into the most bizarre and unnatural postures deliberately to avoid telling you WHAT IT FUCKING SOUNDS LIKE.

dialectician, Fez909 and SpookyFrank like this.
  13. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

pitchfork list is made of fail IMHO cos it does not include "We are ILL".

ouchmonkey likes this.
  14. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

15. dialectician

just shitty rock n roll journalism. i mean they don't really right about rnr but that's their whole shtick isn't it. chal ravens with the goldsmiths sociology essays. bleurgh. thought PiL was supposed to kill this shit for good. noone understood. back to metal box it is for me then. at least simon reynolds has some vigor and makes you think about the textures of the music before youve even listened to it. none of those putrid lovesick metaphors.

16. The39thStep

King Crimson Elements 2018 Tour Box Set

17. braindancer

braindancer not for long

In recent years I've forgotten to submit my list, so to make sure I don't do that again I've submitted my list already....:)

I'm now starting to remember the ones I forgot to include....:(

May Kasahara, nogojones and marty21 like this.
  18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

19. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

20. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

21. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Just gone through my list of artists I follow (and add throughout the year) on muspy – Get Notified on New Album Release Dates which happily lists albums by release date, as sadly this is the only way I will a) remember what I listened too, and B) know artists I like have an album coming out.

I'm only up to June so far this year, so I still have a lot of listening to do! :facepalm:

22. billy_bob

ouchmonkey likes this.
  23. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

24. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

For those with Spotify, who might need some help, this 3rd party may help, it's kind of like instagrams top 9. Warning, it will create you a 'best of 2018' playlist (that's music you listened too) and force a '2019' playlist based on what you listened too! Easily enough to delete and revoke access afterwards. (actually I can't find these playlists it's supposed to have made?!?!?!?!)

Your 2018 Wrapped

For a more detailed way of doing this in the future, you can connect Last FM to Spotify and it will track everything you listen too correctly (as well as other services if you add them and are happy for last fm to collate all your listening habits of course)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  25. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

26. dialectician

27. dialectician

Don't think this reviewer knows what flow means lol cos Cardi B does not have good flow. her whole strength is being the first mainstream ad lib rapper. but definitely not flow.

28. dialectician

so many of reviews sound like come back from a shit sixth form rave.

29. The39thStep

Dr. Furface likes this.
  30. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

woah, that looks like a challenge. I think I've only heard a bout 6 or 7 of them.
    didn't get along with the Body/Head one tbf
    not as impressed with the Low album as literally every other fucker in the world appears to be either
    (and I like Low)