Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Dec 1, 2017.
quite correct. It should be top 5 in everyones list
I wish people would post their lists on here as we go alobg- then we get several weeks to listen to stuff we've not heard and add it to our lists as well. Gwan
Nah. That wrecks the anticipation. If you're looking for new stuff try the 2017 releases thread.
May I introduce you to... album-recommendations-heads-up-2017-does-what-it-says-in-the-title
12 pages of recommendations for you to listen to and add to your list
This is ex-urb Dubversion's list - plenty of good stuff on there.
1. Richard Dawson – Peasant (Weird World / Domino)
2. Interrobang‽ – Interrobang (All The Madmen)
3. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream (DFA)
4. GNOD - Just Say No To The Psycho Right-Wing Capitalist Fascist Industrial Death Machine (Rocket Recordings)
5. Preservation Hall Jazz Band - So It Is (Legacy)
6. Bonnie Prince Billy - Best Troubadour (Drag City)
7. Circle – Terminal (Southern Lord)
8. Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - Feed The Rats (Rocket)
9. Hey Colossus - The Guillotine (Rocket)
10. Grey Hairs– Serious Business (Gringo)
11. Downtown Boys – The Cost Of Living (Sub Pop)
12. Part Chimp – IV (Rock Action)
13. Ore – Belatedly (Box)
14. Afghan Whigs - In Spades (Sub Pop)
15. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers (Constellation)
16. Ho99o9 – United States of Ho99o9 (Toys Have Powers)
17. Sleaford Mods - English Tapas (Rough Trade)
18. Band Of Holy Joy – Funambulist We Love You (Tiny Global)
19. The Iain Svenonius Slot: Escape-ism – Introduction To Escape-ism (Merge) / Chain & The Gang – Best Of Crime Rock (in The Red) / Chain & The Gang – Experimental Music (Radical Elite) / Chain & The Gang – Live At Third Man (Third Man)
20. Kemper NortonNorton - Hungan (Front & Follow)
21. Frontier Ruckus - Enter The Kingdom (Sitcom Universe)
22. Mogwai - Every Country's Sun (Rock Action)
23. Snapped Ankles - Come Play The Trees (Leaf)
24. Bare Bones – Moon Phases (Rif Productions)
25. Portland Vows - Play Nicely (Concrete Tapes)
Just given that a listen. That's brilliant. Will try and see that live.
she's already toured it, and doesn't have anything upcoming dates with the brass band (which I assume must be quite expensive to take on the road) - her solo show it still quite nice from what I've heard though.
Hopefully after she tops the urban 75 2017 best album list she'll be moved to tour it again...
Still miss his presence on U75. I'd totally missed the fact that BPB had released another one this year.
This sort of thinking makes U2 come out on top
not voting tactically ends up with the doors at number 1 like in '67. we can't let that happen again.
If Nick Clegg posted in the music forum, I'm sure he'd agree
yeh I finally checked that out properly, i;d heard 1 or 2 tracks when it first came out, it is a great album.
I'd actually very much like to hear a "best of 2017" mix/compilation/youtubeplaylist from both you and him, please get on it!
i haven't listened to any new albums this year. not one.
i'll get spotify fired up...
I'll try and find the time - I have been meaning to do something along those lines
you should get a show on NTS really, link it to the label and all that....
Might be able to rustle up a top 5 or a top 7 if I put some effort in. A few glaring omissions in The Wire's top 50. A shame Bull Tongue Review has packed up - they knew the score.
Good idea for a thread, that.
I love the fact that I bought some new slippers online the other day and now my uber-cool Quietus list comes with adverts for fluffy mules.
She's like Mrs Merton's daughter.
That's an interesting claim - coming from someone who might just be able to nominate 5 or maybe 7 albums, at a push!
Not seen many mentions of Lone Taxidermist's Trifle or Equiknoxx's Colon Man
It's in the Qist list.
And it's very trying.
Not included in the Wire list but maybe should have been:
Pauline Anna Strom's Trans Millenia Music. An otherwordly electronic psychedelic album from a blind lady born in Louisiana. Probably album of the year for me.
William Basinski - A Shadow In Time. His best since the Disintegration Loops series from way back.
Sleaford Mods - English Tapas. Former Wire cover stars but no longer worthy of a place in their top 50. Album features Drayton Manored, maybe their funniest song.
That 5-7 album comment of mine was a bit silly. Am now whittling down from a starting list of 15.
this sounds like my scene.
Looks like it's a compilation of previously released material though, which is probably why it's not on the wire's list
In their end of year review in the magazine they usually do a list of best compilations and reissues, so it might be in that.
Sorry to say that also makes it ineligible for Belboid's list too, now I've mentioned it on the thread. Sorry.
Pauline Anna Strom album from the 80s now? killer b if you don't follow it and like new agey trance shit check the Sounds of the Dawn blog and NTS show
I'll give it a listen, although my tolerance for hardcore new age stuff is pretty low. I really enjoyed that New Atlantis comp of neo-new age, though.
Separate names with a comma.