Urban75 Album of the Year 1998

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Nov 7, 2018.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

For me, it’s a combination of the imagery in the lyrics, the instrumentation (such great brass), and its general other worldliness. It’s naivety is quite magnificent - "When you were young..." as King of Carrot Flowers” opens – it’s that wonderful innocence and hope. Combined with seeing sex in everything. There’s the bizarre incongruence about songs about Anne Frank being just so bloody joyous and danceable. And then there’s “I love you Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, I love you, yes I do” which is, in many ways, probably the bravest line ever committed to vinyl by an alt-rock band.

And the melodies are just to die for.

Favelado likes this.
  2. belboid

I am immediately minded to say 'No' but will give it proper consideration

3. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Then you ve got me totally wrong. Disappointed tbh. I like arguing about music, but it's always my real opinion.

4. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Fair enough. I believe you.

5. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Disappointing album but then what do you get with some demo tracks and unfinished recordings by someone who died.However I liked this track

krtek a houby and SpookyFrank like this.
  6. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

and this is just beautiful

krtek a houby likes this.
  7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I'm only contrary to shiite music.

8. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

surely the definition of shite music is in the ear of the beholder sorta thing - so someone else might listen to your favourite song and hate it , and visa versa.

9. killer b

This is sort of true, but it's also a cop-out. It means there's no point in even attempting to critique art.

marty21 likes this.
  10. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I can dig this.

11. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Ok. Also, can I just check that the Buffalo 66 soundtrack album will be acceptable? It's mainly original material by Vincent Gallo - 8 tracks - although it does include a few old ones by King Crimson, Stan Getz, Vincent's dad, and even, regrettably, Yes. (I'm sure nobody else is going to vote for it but what the hell I like it).

12. belboid

The Yes is used magnificently in that film! Shows off what a brilliant musician Chris Squire was. Sensibly, it stops before JA starts warbling, iirr.

13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Saying it made you nauseous cos someone wants to go to a gig of a band lots of people like sounded a bit much

14. Favelado

I think Vincent Gallo did a Buffalo 66 Q and A at the Ritzy in 1998, seeing as this is a Brixton-based forum.

15. Dr. Furface

That's as maybe but it's not why I want to vote for it!

16. killer b

I don't like cash-in tours by heritage bands playing 'classic' albums, I think they're bad for all sorts of reasons. Nauseous might be an exaggeration though. Irritated and a bit disappointed is probably more accurate.

17. belboid

Really annoyingly, you've made me want to listen to it now.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  18. Favelado

I think it's a brilliant chance to hear an incredible piece of music. They've got Liz Fraser involved. It's not as if they don't make decent music anymore either. "The Spoils" came out in 2016 and is one of the best songs of this entire decade (IMHO etc).

If it's Happy Mondays doing Pills 'n' Thrills I take your point - but I don't think that's the case here.

19. killer b

Well. I don't think it's an incredible piece of music. The reverance many people seem to hold them in is part of what irritates me tbh. At least there's some level of honesty in the Happy Mondays doing pills & thrills - no-one is imagining it's going to be anything but a jolly night out throwing beer at Shaun Ryder.

20. Dr. Furface

I hope you mean the whole album not just the Yes tracks!

21. Favelado

I wish I could hear Shara Nelson sing Unfinished Sympathy live, just once in my life. One of my recurring fantasies. Sadly, life hasn't been good to poor Shara.

22. belboid

no :oops:

Dr. Furface likes this.
  23. killer b

Oddly enough, when Pete Tong covered Unfinished Sympathy in his recent orchestral house hits tour, Massive Attack accused him of doing a 'nostalgia nightmare roadshow.'

Whereas a tour playing a 20-year old album to the one-gig-a-year crowd (at £50 a ticket) is erm something else.

24. Favelado

I've nothing else to add to our debate re validity of Mezzanine Tour as we won't change each other's minds. However, it's interesting that Tong can still bear to listen to Unfinished Sympathy after having a restraining order taken out against (a very unwell) Shara Nelson.

25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Don't go to those gigs then. Or stand outside the venues at kicking out time explaining to people that if they think they enjoyed the show, they're actually wrong.

Favelado likes this.
  26. killer b

Isn't this a music forum, where people discuss their thoughts about music?

27. Favelado

28. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

You just reminded me that I've still got a copy of that on my hard drive.

Whilst its not total tripe or anything it is a bit pedestrian and I only downloaded it to burn it off for a work mate and thought I may as well keep it.

Now you've reminded me, I'm gonna dig it out and delete it to make space for more bassline :thumbs:

killer b likes this.
  29. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Could everyone add "it's only my opinion" to the end of every one of my posts to avoid being offended please

30. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Picked this up for the equivalent of 14p recently; I quite like it.