Urban75 Album of the Year 1998

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

As others have said 1998 was a great year for music that won't fit into this chart.

Reggae reissue labels Blood & Fire and Pressure Sounds were at their peak, Greensleeves were banging out about 8 incredible seven inches a month. I was still buying drum 'n' bass / breakcore and probably big beat type 12". Mix CDs ruled.

Later on I also got into a bunch of dub techno stuff that came out this year - the first Pole album and Plastikman's "Consumed" will probably be in my chart but you also had yer Rhythm & Sound and Chain Reaction 12" stuff happening.

2. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Loads of seventies and eighties artists were singles bands, never made it onto a decent full length album. So they don't get recognised here. It's tough kid, but it's life.

3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

And 50s and 60s.

4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

5. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

*sips cocktail, arches brow, places cigarettte in ashtray*

Combustible Edison were the rulers of that particular micro scene moment - original stuff, I saw them, possibly in 98 but probably earlier. I don't remember giving this final album much (any) attention
    They split up the following year, so it was either 'peak' or 'exhausted'
    from 'Impossible World' ('98 on Sub Pop)

ska invita likes this.
  6. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

Massive Attacks - Mezzanine is great
    Also that album by Air is pretty good.

krtek a houby likes this.
  7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Can I take this opportunity to say I FUCKING HATE SEXY BOY :mad::mad:

-
    got to #13 in the charts..remember hearing it everywhere

braindancer and Rebelda like this.
  8. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

listening to this last night and this morning - it's from 98 coincidentally.
    I wouldn't actually hear them until a couple of years later when their next album came out.
    In fact, due to the way my life was then, quite a lot of the stuff from that year I proabably came to a little later
    I was listening to a lot of older stuff I guess, with random outbursts of modernity

killer b likes this.
  9. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

great album. I also came to it several years later (possibly through here)

10. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Oooh - Ocean Songs by Dirty Three was 1998.

Wonderful album...

11. TruXta

TruXta tired

Damn, good shout.

12. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Ooh - Autechre's LP5 was 1998. Now that was a beast of an album. Sweet spot between the more melodic earlier albums and the more 'difficult' albums that followed.

13. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Does Godspeed's F#A# count? Some sites say 97. Some 98. My cd is in the attic.... not going up there to check!

14. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

According to wiki, it was released twice, first in 1997 by Constellation Records and then again on June 8, 1998, by Kranky

And it already featured in the 1997 list.

braindancer likes this.
  15. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

I found myself, many moons ago, with an job doing audio for TV (fuck knows how I got that gig). I felt particularly guilty working on what was at the time a rather popular show about people buying houses abroad. To help alleviate the guilt I decided to sneak in Stewart Home singing 'Storm the Yuppie Homes' during one of the musical interludes. I kept it low in the mix but I could plainly hear it when it was broadcast.

16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

bah i think this misses by one year

17. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Dunno - according to Riffipedia :D - it was first released in '98 so I'd intended to have it on my list.

rutabowa likes this.
  18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

coool well if it's 1998 then it has to be on the list

19. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

these are literally 2 of my least favourite albums ever released.

braindancer, marty21 and killer b like this.
  20. killer b

Massive attack are doing a Mezzanine tour next year. The number of people I previously thought well of who're excited about it has actually made me feel a bit nauseous.

21. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

blimey, I still rate Mezzanine :thumbs:

22. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

The track that moved me this year was The Granite Gaze by Lankum. The Album it's off, Between the Earth and Sky is great too. The opener What Will We Do When We Have No Money? Gets right in your guts.

eta: I think it's officially 2017 release though, so maybe doesn't qualify!

aeta: Especially for 1998! :facepalm: (bumps :mad:)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  23. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

You're such a contrarian that if all your friends had groaned upon hearing that the tour was happening, you would have grabbed a sleeping bag, got in a taxi and camped out for tickets.

24. killer b

Sorry, that's not true.

25. killer b

Not liking an album you like =/= contrarian.

26. Favelado

I think it's fair. I've ended up with that impression.

Initial thoughts about 1998.

It's actually Fortified Live from the year before I love the most but this is worth a mention.

Not an original choice but I've spent a good couple of weeks listening to this if you add it all up.

27. Favelado

No. It's not that. I might be right or wrong to whatever extent, but I didn't just get to that conclusion from one post.

28. Favelado

To be somewhat contrarian myself - I don't understand Neutral Milk Hotel IAAOTS. It's a masterpiece for many, but I've given it a couple of listens over the years and I don't much like it. I can't even appreciate it in the way I do Radiohead - as in I think "That's great" when I hear something of theirs but never feel like listening to them.

Anyone got an insight into what makes the album so special for them?

29. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

1998 was the year of circuit bending.

[​IMG]

30. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

belboid Can you confirm pls that this excellent Bill Laswell reworking of some of 69-74 Miles' fusion recordings is allowable

[​IMG]

nogojones likes this.