Urban75 Album of the Year 1998

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Nov 7, 2018.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Here we go again...

1998 then. The year of Britney & Billie and B*Witched. I bet you're all far too hip to vote for them tho, aren't you?

Pretty rubbish year otherwise, lesser Sonic Youth, Slayer and Shellac albums, Robbie's second album was pretty rubbish. I suppose there was that one from Massive Attack. And the Mercury Rev. Beastie Boys, Boards of Canada, some woman called PJ and some hotel dwellers who caught a flight.

Anyway...usual rules.... 1 - 20 in order, preferably without being numbered, band name first, to me by...how long do we want? A week? Let's say a week. 6pm next Wednesday night then, November 14th.

e2a: It should hardly need saying, but NO COMPILATIONS!!

Some lists:
    1998 - NME
    Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 1998
    The 10 Best Albums of 1998 | Feature | Slant Magazine
    Top Albums of 1998 - Rate Your Music

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Spandex likes this.
  2. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Terrible year for music that I liked.

Middling effort from Sonic Youth. Decent one from the Beasties. My favourite Belle and Sebastian album. Beck proves the first couple were a fluke and he will be forever shit now.

Neutral Milk Hotel will probably win. Ignore me if I vote for it cause I've never actually heard it.

belboid likes this.
  3. Well let's start with this classic. I'm pretty sure this will at the top of my list.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

1998 was all about this for me (I KNOW ITS NOT ALLOWED)

Ranbay, cybershot and Indeliblelink like this.
  5. Yep same, spent a small fortune on music in 1998 but hardly any of it was in album form, all 12" vinyl & compilations.

cybershot likes this.
  6. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

loads of decent stuff from a cursory glance - two of the Gas LPs, Coil's Time Machines, The Boy With The Arab Strap, This Is Hardcore, Boredoms' Super AE... the Sonic Youth album from 98 is really good too belboid

that said, nothing making me punch the air. I'll try some of the things I've not heard over the next few days....

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oh the no.1 LP is EASY actually, tho I didn't catch it at the time:

9. belboid

I'll have to give it another listen, I was kinda hit n miss with SY after Washing Machine.

10. killer b

11. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

I'll have to sit this one out as I can only think of one goodun. England Made Me by Black Box Recorder. Many a good track on there including a belting cover of Uptown Top Ranking. They'd been listening to the Flying Lizards me thinks.

12. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Come on!

13. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

A Thousand Leaves is probably about the seventh or eighth best SY album. I always put it on for my morning commute when I work Sundays for obvious reasons.

14. killer b

this is actually praise isn't it?

15. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Already thought of a few I liked from that year - Dixie Chicks, Lucinda Williams, Air , Sparklehouse, Massive Attack, Mansun.

Sure I can produce a top 20 this time.

16. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I was deep into dance music in 98 and there was loads going on. The rave scene had completely fractured into loads of micro scenes.

It was the year Jump Up hit big for Drum’n’Bass, which was a relief after all that moody tech-step in 97. There was a load of funky drum’n’bass like EZ Rollers around.

Speed Garage exploded: in London there was a more soulful variety, while the the midlands/north favoured a more bassline sound - a division that only grew as the years went on.

Trade and the hard-house scene were partying on (RIP Tony Di Vit 2/7/98).

Squat party acid tekno was going strong.

Techno was entering the dull looped banger era – there was still great techno around, but you were never guaranteed a good night if you went to a techno club, which saw people leave the scene in droves. A lot of the Detroit crowd went electro.

It’s the year the tech-house scene crystallised and was great for the next couple of years.

Fat Boy Slim and the Boutique were rocking to their beer swilling beats.

Trip Hop was still shuffling about in a cloud of weed smoke.

Fluorescent Gatecrasher trance blew up – the final nail in trance’s coffin. Pseudo hippies were dancing to a simulacrum of goa trance’s brief moment in 95, as they still are.

Happy Hardcore was still going Bonkers.

Deep house was mining disco (good) and jazz-funk (bad).

Across the channel French house was still riding high.

IF, DJ Hell and Miss Kittin & The Hacker were looking back to pre-house euro dance, which laid the foundations of the 80s revival that’s been going on since.

In Koln Kompakt records opened and started pouring out minimal house and ‘micro-house’ which was one of the corner stones of the 00s minimal scene.

Oh yeah, and there was The Vengaboys…

Some of those scenes are so far away from each other that they have almost nothing in common. But I’m not sure how much of this will be reflected by single artist albums of original tunes, which is what we’re polling here. It was the era of mix albums and compilation albums in dance music.

Anyway, I’ll go have a hunt around and see what I can turn up.

17. killer b

Munich Machine was this year.

18. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Comment on Otomo Yoshihide & Sachiko M's Filament 1 on RYM:

"My cat hates this album, and I can see why."
    :D

19. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

20. sunnysidedown

21. killer b

Everyone rates the Miseducation of Lauren Hill, but I've never listened to it. Will rectify this tonight.

krtek a houby likes this.
  22. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

The biggest hit of '98:
    [​IMG]

BassJunkie, nogojones, moody and 2 others like this.
  23. sunnysidedown

There was quite a lot of good shit on Peacefrog in 98.

[​IMG]

24. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

The Complete Works of Edgard Varese as performed by the Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam & the Asko Ensemble, The Circle Maker by John Zorn and Little Birds Have Fast Hearts Part 1 by Die Like a Dog Quartet were all released this year, and I got back into buying music in a BIG way after discovering The Wire magazine when they put Sonic Youth on their cover.

Knotted likes this.
  25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oh Royal Trux "Accelerator" was this year too, I did catch that when it came out...

26. sunnysidedown

are mixed compilations allowed?

[​IMG]

nogojones likes this.
  27. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I remember this year very well...was the year I graduated.

Is this Desire? - PJ Harvey.
    Sketches for my Sweetheart... - Jeff Buckley.

28. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

This is the year for drone with this being only the tip of the iceberg.

Indeliblelink and Argonia like this.
  29. killer b

someone was raving about this on fb the other day, will give it a spin.

30. belboid

You bring one of them there 'compilations' into my lists, sonny jim, and there'll be trouble, trouble I tell ya!