1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban75 Album of the Year 1997

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Robbie Williams? Seriously??

I was deep into dance music in 97 so...

1. Octave One – The Living Key (To Images From Above)

I love Detroit techno. It was probably at the height of it’s popularity 95 to 97. Clubs that played it were packed and there were loads of mixes, compilations, albums, EPs and singles released in 97. Having exorcised all the mixes, compilations, EPs and singles for this poll there’s still a handful of great albums and this is the best.

2. Faze Action – Plans & Designs

The UK deep house disco revival was in full swing in 97. In The Trees, with it’s soaring strings and cello, was the big hit, but the whole album is great from start to finish. He’s still going 20 years later and I’ve come to terms with the fact he’ll never do anything this good again.

3. Gas – Zauberberg

Wolfgang Voigt is one of those prolific German techno types who’s released a mountain of music under various names – 38 different solo aliases and in 49 different groups according to Discogs. Who knows what he had planned when he went in the studio for this – the first Gas album was rooted firmly in Chain Reaction style dub techno, but here he turned out an ambient drone neo-classical dub techno masterpiece. Amazing.

4. K Hand – The Art of Music

Kelli Hand released three albums in 97, but this is by far her best. Detroit techno built on bouncing electro beats rather than pounding four-to-the floor. I hadn’t listened to for years before thinking what to put in this poll, but I’ve been playing it loads this last week and it sounds better now than it did 20 years ago.

5. Photek – Modus Operandi

DnB in 97 seemed to be dominated by either techstep or jazz’n’bass. Techstep I never took to – it was being played everywhere and people were mad for it – I couldn’t ask about DnB in a record shop without someone trying to sell me that No U-Turn Torque comp - but I found listening to it a chore. Jazzy DnB I like up to a point, but too often the producer will cross that line and I’ll find myself listening to some lightweight jazz funk tune with fast drums and that’s not what I signed up for. Photek did his own thing and made by far my favourite DnB album of the year.

6. Future Homosapians – Moonrock

Another UK deep house disco album, this one a side project of DnB types London Elektricity. Everything they put out on their short-lived Galactic Disco label was excellent. Ignore the terrible cover, it’s great.

7. Carl Craig – More Songs About Food & Revolutionary Art

A gorgeous Detroit techno album aimed more at the sofa than the dancefloor. It’s got Dominas on it, which is probably my favourite thing he did.

8. Two Lone Swordsmen – Stockwell Steppas

Weatherall and Tenniswood doing their thing. A bit of house, some weird shit, some DnB type stuff thrown in. Listening to it again the other day I could almost smell the skunk that inevitably accompanied this album in 97.

9. Glenn Underground – The Jerusalem EPs

Blissed out, sometimes jazzy, deep house from Chicago with enough groove to make you shake ya booty.

10. Maas – Latitude

Melodic Scottish techno/electro on Soma produced by Ewan Pearson, who went on to make a name for himself as a remixer in the 00s. It might sound a bit dated now, but it’s a lovely, solid album and I played it so much in 97 it’d be wrong not to have it on my list.

danski, Indeliblelink, Fez909 and 5 others like this.
  2. Radiohead - OK computer
    Portishead - Portishead
    Daft Punk - Homework
    Prodigy - Fat of the land
    Chemical Brothers - Dig your own hole
    Paul W Teebrooke - Connections
    As One - Planetary folklore
    Pleiadians - IFO
    Tandu - Multimoods
    Williams Fairey Brass Band - Acid brass

I probably should of had The Conet Project - Recordings Of Shortwave Number Stations in there but i guess that doesn't count as music. Photek, Carl Craig & Plaid also didn't quite make the cut.

Orang Utan likes this.
  3. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

1) Cassiber with Shinoda Masami - Live in Tokyo remixed by Ground Zero

Cassiber were a tremendous (Anglo/German) band in the 80's if you can get over the pretentious "texts" (texts not lyrics) and the Chritoph Ander's declamatory style of singing. Song based but with a confident improvisational component. All the usual rock, jazz and avant garde elements in there but with focus. This live album catches them at their very best and then adds an otherworldly and surprisingly minimalist aesthetic from Otomo Yoshihide of Ground Zero. But when they roar they really roar. Beasts.

2) Robert Wyatt - Shleep

If you know Robert Wyatt you know the sort of thing. I think this is his best album since Rock Bottom.

3) Ground Zero - Plays Standards

The great thing about Ground Zero is that they had no element of subtlety in their music. This is as wild as anything they've done but this time it's a covers album. You will never hear Say a Little Prayer done like this anywhere else. A scream. And actual screaming too!

4) Acid Mothers Temple and the Melting Paraiso UFO

Their first album. Whereas most of their recorded output doesn't quite capture the sheer sonic depths of their live performance this comes as close as anything. Blitzed out noise-psych.

5) Ruins - Refusal Fossil

This drum-bass zheul duo strode around Japan like fucking Godzilla. Of course they make the top 10.

6) Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Barafundle

It's difficult to praise the Gorky's high enough. Song based bands are usually hit and miss but the compositions are so strong, so interesting and so consistently so. You forget how good they were. Remind yourself.

7) Hoahio - Happy Mail

Odd compositions, unusual instrumentation. An almost forgotten Japanese delight.

8) Tipographica - Floating Opera

This Zappaesque band played complicated music. Really stupidly complicated. Why that rhythm? Why? Well it actually works out. And hey - they pulled it off and you couldn't.

9) Ground Zero - Consume Red

The great thing about Ground Zero is that they had no element of subtlety in their music. One big intense build up. That's it.

10) C.C.C.C. - Rocket Shrine

Maybe the best of the various Japanoise releases of 97.

Spandex likes this.
  4. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Here's my top ten

1 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
    2 Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
    3 Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
    4 Peter Brotzmann - The Chicago Octet/Tentet
    5 Mogwai - Young Team
    6 Stereolab - Dots and Loops
    7 Dave Douglas - Sanctuary
    8 Primal Scream - Echo Dek
    9 Bjork - Homogenic
    10 Sonic Youth - SYR2: Slaapkamers met slagroom

And here's ten more I considered but which didn't quite make it

Alabama 3 - Exile in Coldharbour Lane
    Harmonia '76 - Tracks and Traces
    Isotope 217 - The Unstable Molecule
    John Zorn - Masada: Het
    Pavement - Brighten the Corners
    Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Sonic Youth - SYR1: Anagrama
    Vandermark 5 - Single Flow Piece
    The Verve - Urban Hymns

Despite what some have said, I reckon it was a pretty strong year all told.

Dr. Furface, Fozzie Bear and Knotted like this.
  5. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

No Blur!

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Thank fuck.

7. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Be Here Now did far better than Blur. Which is absurd. Just that squeaky gate bit on Blur is better than the entirety of BHN (unless it was actually on 13)

8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Just discovered Glenn Underground earlier this year and downloaded a few new bits and a newish album...i like the jazzyness but often the tunes dont really go anywhere - a bit noodly...but just put on this EPs-album and definitely feeling it (though to my ears its more home listening than play out). Anyone got recommendations for peak Glenn?

Cant wait to give this a play! Had to check the bad cover out :D maybe was acceptable in 90s!
    Tony Colman from London Lecci is a bit of a don really
    [​IMG]

Spandex likes this.
  9. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

10. ska invita

liking that a lot...92 a fine vintage...Steve Poindexter on the label there too :thumbs:
    (though maybe ever so slightly carried away on the loon bird sample ;))

11. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

My fave loon bird on that.

Orang Utan likes this.
  12. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

It features on his 96 album atmosfear too, which is great.

13. Spandex

Check his Atmosfear album - it's got that ↑ on it. It was definitely another slumped on the sofa playing Megadrive/N64 through a haze of skunk smoke record.

14. ska invita

bit of a derail but my friends girlfriend is from deep Minessota and she says they have loon birds all over the lake near where she lives. Would like to hear that one day

15. Spandex

Snap :D

16. Spandex

Anyway, big thanks to belboid for running these Album of the Year polls. I’ve never really thought of albums in terms of release date, so it’s been fun going through different years seeing what was released and listening to some albums I haven’t heard for ages. Or in the case of the 57 poll, discovering loads of new music. I’m still on a Doo Wop binge since that one

belboid and marty21 like this.
  17. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

there's got to be a thread in shit album covers from 1990s dance records.

belboid likes this.
  18. ska invita

90s photoshop lives on to this day. This is from 2011
    [​IMG]

19. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

ska invita

I've always liked Herb Alpert and this is a class cover/sample

ska invita likes this.
  20. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

90s 3d computer graphics are what it's all about bro. Someone on twitter reminded me of this the other day

[​IMG]

ska invita likes this.
  21. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I don't know the album at all, so my initial glance at the cover made me think it was Simply Red.

22. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Neither had I, but there was a guardian article about it this week, which used the line I shamelessly copied.

23. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Janet Jackson has put out some great albums over the years on the quiet. Wasn't that one produced by Q-Tip?

24. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

ah no, it just feat. him

25. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced Enforced Holiday

I'm surprised Elliot Smith is not in the top 20. Either/Or is a true classic imo.

Robbie Fucking Williams tho :facepalm:

26. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

I don't get Robbie Williams but having said that I did include texas in mine :oops:

27. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I get the feeling that I was the only one who had Mansun at number 1 or even in the top 10 :(

28. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

So did I :thumbs:

krink likes this.
  29. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Dare I ask if we are doing 2007? Fairly sure none of my choices for that year will make it into the top ten.

30. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

It might be interesting to compare to the contemporary 2007 poll...

marty21 likes this.