1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban75 Album of the Year 1997

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Looking through what was released when it seems there were a few great Detroit techno best of comps in 97. As well as Innovator there's:

Drexciya - The Quest
    Jeff Mills - The Other Day
    Kevin Saunderson - Faces & Phases
    Stacey Pullen - Collected Works
    The Seductive Sounds Of Teknotika

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I think Daft Punk and DJ Assault both released better albums than their 1997 efforts, and my love for SFA spans their whole career without picking out an album, so I'm torn between these two, which are the respective artists' bests;

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Surprised no one has mentioned Godspeed You Black Emperor's F♯ A♯ ∞, Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen... or Stereolab's Dots and Loops yet.

But not surprised no one has mentioned Dave Douglas' Sanctuary, Isotope 217's The Unstable Molecule or Peter Brotzmann's The Chicago Octet/Tentet.

I've got a list of 20 so far, and if I need to reduce it to 10 will have to choose between mainstream (in Urban terms anyway) stuff and great but obscure shit that I suspect very few will have heard.

Does it have to be just ten belboid?

Plumdaff likes this.
  4. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

Does it have to be 10? I'm struggling

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Nah, I think I managed 5 for the 1957 one and one of those turned to have come out a year later. :D

krink likes this.
  6. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Fell in love with this when I bought the album on a random whim that year

7. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

My mates band. Could never stand them, Or anything he's been involved in musically. From early james-style classic white posh kid indie shit to ongoing.

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

First post :)

9. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

also, it's shite.

10. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Blimey. and its my number one for that year as well lol.

Compilation of 1997 Return of the Roughnecks /Chameleons

11. belboid

How dare you use that word on this thread!

andysays and The39thStep like this.
  12. copliker

copliker ...

Jeff Dreadnought everybody.

13. andysays

I see there's another Fleetwood Mac album for you to vote for this time round

[​IMG]

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  14. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I've not heard it, so thanks for the heads up.

15. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Played that to death at the time and had subsequently completely forgotten about it. Might have to stick it on later, see if it's as good as I (now) remember :)

16. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

It's still great. The bassline from Sugardaddy is still a facemelter.

17. dialectician

dialectician Well-Known Member

Madness! Black Secret Technology, Jacob's Optical Stairway and T-powers - self evident truth were all 95.

second disc of two pages was 98 - we who are not as others is still the future...

Modus operandi was good tho, definitely. Never got into new forms, and prefer Adam F's stuff on Lucky Spin.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Fozzie Bear likes this.
  18. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Cornershop - When I Was Born for the Seventh Time
    Stereolab - Dots and Loops
    Bjork - Homogenic
    Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Barafundle
    Roni Size and Reprazent - New Forms
    Portishead - Portishead

Got to six before the only thing I could think of was putting Radiohead in, which I count as Game Over.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  19. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

DnB albums in general rarely work as albums IMO...of this crop I would say Grooverider presents Prototype Years is the best of them by a long stretch, even though its technically a compilation. Colours is really a few of Adams best 12s put together for an album, with a few sightly filler album bits added, but he was making such enormous tunes right there that its still an amazing LP....Actually looking back at the tracklist again its pretty 60/40, but when the good 60% includes tunes like Metropolis, Circles, Aromatherapy, Dirty Harry etc..DnB anthems. Metropolis goes beyond that - is a masterpiece of UK music IMO.

New Forms is a weird one to me too...I only once sat down and played it through both CDs but its got so many innovative tunes on it, so may great 12s off it, plus they definitely broke new ground with the live thing, and created their own distinct sound. Even if it has faults as an album its classic material overall.

Modus Operandi is not an album I like but I respect it no end. So much work gone into it, and such an original sound. Its a conceptual work of art for sure.

20. krink

1997 is when i had my first huge meltdown :( so not much album buying for me that year - I sold my entire collection I think! But boy, it's slim pickings anyway, ffs one on my list is Texas:facepalm: but then there was this absolute cracker, easily the best of that whole US ska revival scene...

21. krink

i remember around that time coming home from a session about 5am and they were djing on radio one and they played some incredible stuff I'd never heard of.

22. andysays

Did we ever establish/agree how long a release has to be to count as an album for the purpose of these threads? One of my choices for 1997 is three tracks, totalling 28:30 minutes.

What do people think and, more importantly, what does belboid think?

23. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I think the answer is it depends.

Was it intended as an album or is it just a long single?

Come on Pilgrim came 4th in the album of the year '87 poll, but is only 20:28 long.

One of my favourite records from '97 is Underground Resistance's The Turning Point - 2x12", four tracks, about 29:30 long - but I'm not voting for it cos it's quite clearly an EP. There's loads of long singles and EPs in 97, but there's also short albums.

Follow your heart.

andysays likes this.
  24. belboid

Almost definitely fine.

Was there something else I’m meant to adjudicate on? I forget.

andysays likes this.
  25. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

I think an interesting "what is a 1997 album" limit case would be the first 12" version of Orbital's 'Satan Live'.

This was a double 12" package contained over 60 minutes of music (so about the same as the Mothers 'Freak Out' double album). I'm pretty sure it played at 33rpm not 45. Because it was so long it breached the chart company rules as to what constituted a single and as a result the week the single entered the charts in February 97, this 12" version entered the album charts. So is it an album masquerading as a single ?

But the boundary pushing doesn't stop there. It is generally listed as a 1996 release - which it was : on Tuesday 30th December. Is that the last week of 96 or the first week of 97? In any event the overwhelming majority of sales were in 97 and that's when it entered the charts.

Now the reason I wouldn't be testing Belboid's sense of humour by asking for an adjudication is that in reality I doubt very many people actually own or have heard this version. Indeed it's not even very easy to recreate it since it contained a unique track - a live version of 'Choice' - which has never been released in any other form as far as I know, and certainly seems to be as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth. Admitting it as an album would actually be admitting the single version (released as three separate CD singles again with unique content) since that is what most people owned, or could download today.

Nonetheless if archaeologists uncover copies of it in a few centuries time it is going to look exactly like a double album which is pretty much what it is.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  26. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

So difficult. Gotta be between

The Verve - Urban Hymns
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    The Prodigy - Fat of The Land

27. belboid

Not sure about that particular version, but there were a shot ton of Satan 'singles' from around then that were similarly long (Future Sound of London did likewise). Plenty of them could easily have been released as albums (indeed, Primal Scream did similarly with EchoDek), and any rationalisation that says why they are singles rather than albums is deffo just that, a rationalisation rather than a consistent logically applied status.

So, I'm not going to make one. But that is definitely a single.

28. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

EckoDeck is a remix album, it's not any kind of single.

29. belboid

I know, but most of the versions of Satan are also remixes. Admittedly just of one track, rather than most of an album...

30. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

A remix album is different from a remix single though - some of those mid-90s ambient acts blurred the line, but EchoDek isn't one of them.