1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban75 Album of the Year 1997

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 1, 2017.

1. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

This didn't make my list, perhaps it should've.

[​IMG]

krtek a houby likes this.
  2. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Blimey, were they all 97? Impressive.

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

hah hah
    classic and dominated 97....but looks like an early edition came out in 96?
    Nuyorican Soul - Nuyorican Soul

needs adjudication really

4. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

It doesn't need adjudication, it was released in '97. the promos don't count.

5. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

(I think it's my number 1 btw. Can't think of anything right now that touches it)

ska invita likes this.
  6. chilango

...and on a very different vibe. Here's another that should've made my list but didn't. Play it more than some on my list tbh.

7. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Ooh, now you've got me. A dance floor filler in'96, but you may we'll be right they were all promos.

Adjudication: reserved

8. ska invita

looks like the original box set came out in 96 - wasnt a promo, just a limited edition thing
    Nuyorican Soul - Nuyorican Soul
    "(I belive that this boxset was released in even more limited releases. It was the same box but it featured 4 or 5 Cigars with "Nuyorican Soul" written on the belt. Totally awesome. And the picture here might be wrong, My boxset is not in color, its simply in a brown colored box (and was)Sealed with a green nuyorican soul bill)"
    :D :thumbs:

i think since its wider release was 97 it should go as 97. It was definitely a 97 album in practice

9. chilango

Chumbawamba's Tubthumping came out in 97 too in case anyone was wondering....

...oh. You weren't?

10. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

11. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

This was such a good year

[​IMG]

stavros likes this.
  12. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

This, incidentally, is the greatest live album of all time.
    [​IMG]

13. ska invita

I dont know the albums youre posting but so far my top 10 is probably going to be my favourite of any year. Up there anyway

14. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

These top tens make me think about what I was listening to and doing that year (not always a pleasurable exercise). I looked at the various 'years best album' lists at rocklistmusic to refresh my memory. Such was my detachment from what was 'hip' in 97 there hardly seemed to be a single listed album I possessed.

There's Janet Jackson's 'The Velvet Rope' (although tbf it was the multi version single of 'Together Again' I played to death). Portishead and Robert Wyatt's 'Shleep', neither of which I've listened to in years. About it as far as I can see.

I was in my mid-40s, most of the live music I saw was free jazz or improv. So there's this cracker

[​IMG]

Aside from that lots of older music. Old Soul, old Jazz, and of course 97 was the heady days of the easy listening revival. (Shame the Ultra-lounge series are compilations).

Pretty bored with mainstream hip-hop. In 97 there was Rakim's first solo album and the Jungle Brothers and Gravediggaz had albums out, but not really a great year IMO. The strongest connection I had with 'current music' was with top 40 pop. So I guess I'll have to listen to the All Saints album again. Sadly I see The Cardigans didn't have an album out, but maybe there was other Scandi pop that year (?)

Knotted likes this.
  15. ska invita

Missy Eliot and Camp Lo biggest rap LPs in 97 IMO. De La's Stakes is High came out in 96 but played to death in 97

16. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced Enforced Holiday

Daft Punk will walk this, and rightly so.

But here's an album which has stood the test of time and I still listen to a lot:

[​IMG]

17. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

18. Will have to try fit this one in my 10
    [​IMG]

19. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

ha, I saw the live show in the summer - fabulous.

20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Two Primal Scream albums in 1997 - the lesser known of which is far superior.

Also the first Alabama 3 album for all Brixton crew. Two great Sizzla LPs

One great Wu-Tang LP which was unfortunately part of a 4 LP set.

21. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

yeah, there's some incredible tunes on that one, and a world of filler.

22. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

I wouldn't be too sure...

23. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Perusing the list of stuff I have, I think I'd go: Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway.

Or, err, Pat Boone - In A Metal Mood...

24. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

Why has no-one mentioned Urban Hymns? Just on Two singles alone it wins by a country mile.

25. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

Cos it's one of those records that sold millions but nobody will admit to buying.

26. Stanley Edwards

Ah yeah!

I'm playing it now, but I never bought it ;)

27. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Probably played Life After Death most in 1997, if we're being honest.

28. ska invita

for me black woman and child is likely the best JA LP of the 90s. Capeltons I Testament is pretty much all killer apart from a couple of goes over a hip hop beat. Beenie Mans Many Moods of Moses is pretty good. Not a fan of Buju's Inna Heights. Bounty Killer My Xperience was 96 but i heard it in 97..thats a classic

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  29. ska invita

Just saw theres a Bounty Killer follow up in 97
    Bounty Killer - Ghetto Gramma'
    Havent heard this...should be mainly good...he was flying high at this time...though it could be a rushed cash in

30. Stanley Edwards

The internet has just reminded me that 'Radiator' was 1997's album of the year.

This was the year I said goodbye to the UK (I came back for a while stupidly). I took a few copies of Radiator with me to NY to spread around.