1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban75 Album of the Year 1997

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 1, 2017.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

[​IMG]

It's been ages since we had an Album of the Year poll, time for another methinks.

So, usual rules apply - PM me a list of your favourite 10 albums released in the year 1997 - preferably in order, 1-10 (no need to put the numbers in) and Artist - Title format would be nice. As in previous polls, compilations don't count, no, not even that cracking DJ Fuckwit mix album of absolute bangers. Anything else released between January 1 and December 31 does, even if it was recorded forty years earlier, or was only available on tape or whatever.

I suspect we all know what will win*, although there were a fair few releases by previous (or later, depending on how you look at it) poll winners - David Bowie, Nick Cave, Radiohead, Charles Mingus, as we all as many archetypal '90's albums - Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Verve, Primal Scream, Super Furry Animals, this years token woman (Bjork).

how long shall we give this one? Let's say midnight next Sunday, October 8.

* Be Here Now, obvs

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Fozzie Bear and chilango like this.
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Good Feeling -Travis

3. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Anything but OK Computer.

Homework, Young Team, Radiator and Supa Dupa Fly
    spring to mind.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  4. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Hmmm.

Emo.

5. chilango

...and dregs of "skate punk".

6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

an Art Garfunkel solo album as well. Rich pickings this year

7. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Can't think of anything. I'm sorry I missed the 87 deadline: there was loads I liked that year.

8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

9. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

1997? So that's going to be Ground Zero, Ruins, C.C.C.C., Merzbow, Hijokaidan, Fushitsusha, Tipographica, White Heaven, Violent Onsen Geisha and Hoahio then.

OK I'm being provocative and I'm sure somebody will mention something good from outside of Japan but I need to remind myself of my first thoughts for later when I compile the list. I've got an awful lot of noise to sift through. Yippee.

nogojones and belboid like this.
  10. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I can barely make 10 albums here, had music gone to that much shit come 97!

This is also when I started to go through a dance music phase. So literally every album I adore from 97 is a complilation. Even the good rock albums are compilations! :D

11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

12. cybershot

Although I will say controversially, that this is a great album:

[​IMG]

Wookey likes this.
  13. cybershot

Oh, this came out in 97, awesome, still their best album IMO.

[​IMG]

krink, Sprocket. and Sea Star like this.
  14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Post it up on the 87 thread if you can, i’d like to see it. :)

Knotted likes this.
  15. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

*cough*

MANSUN

*cough*

krtek a houby likes this.
  16. Sea Star

Sea Star Not a cis person

97 was the last year I had any kind of vague grip on what was going on and even that was pretty tenuous. :(

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  17. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

OK I need to start campaigning. If you're unsure what to vote for for that tricky tenth place, pop Happy Mail in there.
    Go on - you know you want to. All female trio and wackier than Björk . Think of the PC cred.

belboid likes this.
  18. S☼I

S☼I unhailed warden of a fled campestral

Homework is a brilliant record I still play now, but I can't see beyond The Boatman's Call for top spot tbh. I have about 5 albums that will vie for second place but not much after that. Started going off current music around this time.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  19. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

Very tricky. Think I'd mostly given up on new music by then and was busy investigating previously unreleased stuff from the early 70s. The only thing that springs to mind is Guided by Voices. Japan's Fushitsusha and High Rise also good but nothing epic from them in 1997.

20. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Vintage year for DnB Albums
    Colours - Adam F
    Reprazent - New Forms
    Grooverider presents Prototype Years
    Modus Operandi - Photek

Squarepusher, Amon TObin, uziq, Autechre, PLaid etc all had albums in 1997. A high point for that sound. Not my thing but in 97 i lived with a Warp head and had a big earful of it at that time. 97 Orb LP is ace. Portishead (which i cant handle - too depressing) and Finlay Quaye also got loads of play around ours, as did Lee Perry arkology and that Derrik May comp Innovator. I was loving music in 97...exciting time i thought. Lots of UK dub about and people like Sizzla and Capelton smashing it around that year too

blairsh and Spandex like this.
  21. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

22. ska invita

Mercury prize 1997

winner Roni Size/Reprazent – New Forms
    • The Chemical Brothers – Dig Your Own Hole
    • Beth Orton – Trailer Park
    • Primal Scream – Vanishing Point
    • The Prodigy – The Fat of the Land
    • Radiohead – OK Computer
    • Spice Girls – Spice
    • Suede – Coming Up
    • John Tavener – Svyati
    • Mark-Anthony Turnage – Your Rockaby

23. ska invita

great shout
    a lot of people like Carl Craig's More Songs About Food And Revolutionary Art too.

chilango likes this.
  24. ska invita

25. chilango

A couple of my faves from the year:

26. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

27. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

28. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Loads of great techno, house & DnB albums to choose from, even if 'no mixes' means some of my favourite albums from 97 are ruled out.

So since they're banned, here's a quick top 5 mix albums of 97:

1. Kevin Saunderson - Xmix: Transmission from Deep Space Radio

Kevin Saunderson recreates his long running Deep Space Radio show on CD and makes one of the best mixes of Detroit techno burnt to plastic.

2. Derrick May - The Mayday Mix

And here's another one of the best mixes of Detroit techno put on a CD.

3. Miles Hollway & Elliott Eastwick - In At The Deep End

The UK deep house scene was on fire in 97 with loads of crunchy dubbed out house jams. I played this A LOT whilst stoned and playing Goldeneye on the N64.

4. Dreem Team - In Session vol 2

UK Garage was kicking off big time in 97 and this was the best mix of what was around at the time.

5. Tony Di Vit - Global Underground 005: Tokyo

Tribal Gathering 97; when the sun went down the temperature plummeted. It was freezing cold, drizzling, one tent was playing trance (run away!), one tent was playing progressive house (yawn), one tent was playing the moodyist darkest DnB (not my scene), Jeff Mills was playing the most abstract impenetrable techno to a near empty freezing cold tent, it was hours until the buses & trains started running. Just to have something to do we took another pill and wandered into the Hardhouse tent. Tony Di Vit had just come on and that's where the party was. Packed, warm, fun. I've had a soft spot for him since.

killer b and ska invita like this.
  29. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Turns out that most of my favourite records released in 1997 were Blood and Fire reissues of 70s Reggae albums - or drum n bass twelves. :facepalm:

ska invita likes this.
  30. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins