1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban75 Album of the Year - 1977

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Sep 6, 2017.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

It is, apparently, what the people want.

The Pistols or The Clash, then. Or are we going to dare admit that it is actually Rumours.

My god, there were a lot of brilliant albums released that year. Not just the punk classics, but the number of 'post-punk' masterpieces, Bowie, Culture, Kraftwerk, Tull. Okay, maybe not the Tull.

Usual rules apply, up to 10 choices. PM me a list of your top ten, in order, and I'll add them all up. NO COMPILATIONS. Live albums fine.

I will post up a results list.....Tuesday or Wednesday.

FINAL VOTES TO BE IN BY
    23:59:59 MONDAY SEPTEMBER 11

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Spandex, marty21, krink and 4 others like this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

3. belboid

I'll just leave this here

Signal 11 likes this.
  4. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Strong year - Low and Heroes.

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

That was hard!

danny la rouge likes this.
  6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

I'm going to find this much harder than usual. Not only is it the year my serious album buying took off, it is also the year that the same happened to my friends. Albums I didn't own myself were borrowed from friends, played in friends' bedrooms, at parties, copied on cassette, played at school on crappy flat, one-speaker casette players, and so was responsible for much of the soundtrack of my youth. It is a Year responsible for many albums that are still my favourites today. Many of my most abiding and meaningful music memories were made that year. I still vividly remember cycling home with Rocket to Russia under my arm, for example.

It is also a year my record-buying mined in subsequent years. In 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 and even later I was still mining 1977.

Even records I love now and didn't even realise were released in 77 in fact came out that year: Dark Magus was released in 77, To Lefty From Willie, Sandy Denny's Rendezvous.

I honestly don't know how I'll do this. It's the hardest year we've ever polled.

Maggot, marty21 and ElizabethofYork like this.
  7. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

you're going for rumours too then?

marty21 likes this.
  8. danny la rouge

You are my eldest daughter and I'm cutting you out of my will!

marty21 likes this.
  9. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Rocket to Russia

10. danny la rouge

I mean, the Idiot and Lust For Life came out in 77. Any day of the week I'd say they were both top notch albums. But I can't have both when Parliament had two that year too (not to mention Bootsy Collins' best solo outing!).

Fuck you belboid! Fuck you!

11. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Guadalajara won't do now!

This will be difficult, can we have our top fifteen?

12. danny la rouge

One of my oldest friends and I had our only serious argument about an album that came out that year. The argument occurred a few years later, but it was over a Little Feat album he wanted to play at a party we were both at. I took it off the turntable and said it was "truckers' music". This escalated into unforgivable insults and drunken and badly thrown punches. And ended up with him sitting on the roof of the house we were at and refusing to come down. :D

(It won't be in my top ten albums. But it's something he still brings up to this day).

13. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think the discipline of 10 is good :D.

I'm starting with the top ten reggae albums (congos, yabby you, abyssinans, junior murvin, prince far i) and will then have to squeeze in the rest.

nogojones and danny la rouge like this.
  14. belboid

So hard you got it almost completely wrong!

danny la rouge and Fozzie Bear like this.
  15. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Same.

16. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Has your view of Little Feat changed since then? I briefly checked them out after reading they were John Cale's backing band on Paris 1919, but found nothing much of interest... that was a decade ago though, and my own tastes have developed considerably since.

17. belboid

I suspect this might take me more time to compile than the bloody normal album of year vote already

18. danny la rouge

To be honest, I haven't listened to them to find out. But I probably wouldn't be so snobby about truckers now.

In my defence I was a kid and music tribes were important.

19. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

It's good to listen again and see if you missed something - I recently tried Steely Dan again after years of spurning them and found much to enjoy (Aja, which happens to be a class of 77 album - I doubt it'll make my list tho).

Sprocket. and nogojones like this.
  20. belboid

Dixie Chicken & Feats Dont Fail Me Now are great albums. Not so sure about the rest.

existentialist and Dr. Furface like this.
  21. danny la rouge

I'll give them a listen, then, as our tastes often coincide.

22. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Top 20, come on!

nogojones and danny la rouge like this.
  23. belboid

I'm just doing a Top 3.

Which I have nine contenders for after four seconds thought.

24. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Love Oh Atlanta from the latter

belboid likes this.
  25. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I started buying albums and singles in 1978 so for that reason I'm out and will wait for the 78 poll.

26. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

There will be only me that will list these two albums from that year so excuse me for playing two extracts:

Twilley Dont Mind -Dwight Twilley who were perhaps the greatest exponents of power pop

Future Games - Spirit

27. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

quite boring list from me :( didn't really buy albums before 79

this one might not be very popular with the cool kids :cool:
    [​IMG]

a_chap, nogojones and ska invita like this.
  28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Five Fela albums in 77 including Opposite People and Sorrows Tears and Blood

nogojones and Spandex like this.
  29. AuntiStella

AuntiStella no longer available

Since I'm still obsessed with "Low" and hear new things every time I go back to it - I still can't quite get over the fact that this record is real and was made all the way back in 1977 by a bloke who ten years before thought he might be the new Tommy Steel. No other record comes close - let alone just from 1977.

After that I'm open to debate. It was a fucking good year!!

this is Low being performed in 2002

The39thStep likes this.
  30. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Some tough choices to make...

Throbbing Angel likes this.