Urban75 Album of the Year - 1968

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 2, 2018.

1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Been listening to George Harrison's Wonderwall Music which is now seen as one of the first world fusion records. It's not one you'd find yourself humming along to but it's a damn fine listen, imho.

2. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

3. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Is it new versions of previously recorded stuff? Which would be fine. But it looks a lot like ‘67 to me

4. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

There's an article in Billboard on the 18th November 1967 about a slate of contemporary music releases on Columbia labels ("Col. Goes Mod With Release of 17 Titles of Contemporary Fare") which lists it but no release date. Billboard list it in their new album release column on 13th January 1968. Looks like another of those annoying end of year/start of year releases and in a genre where the notion of 'release date' isn't exactly a massive priority.

ETA: trying some different search strings I found a couple of articles confirming this group of contemporary music titles were released in November 1967.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  5. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Another groovy soundtrack. Rather played this to death in the 90s, however it's still as entertainingly silly as the film and unlike a lot of soundtrack LPs it works as an album IMO.

[​IMG]

6. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

This may be making it's way onto my short-list.

nogojones likes this.
  7. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

This John Mayall album is worth checking out - really solid psychedelic blues stuff.

[​IMG]

krtek a houby likes this.
  8. killer b

(I tried Van Morrison, but found it pretty dull tbh)

Peter Brotzmann, now...

nogojones and Fozzie Bear like this.
  9. killer b

seriously though, the Brotzmann. What an album.

10. killer b

a wild year for free jazz, this is wicked too.

nogojones likes this.
  11. killer b

This Pearls Before Swine album is good, came across it a month or so ago when the singer died (Psychic TV covered Translucent Carriages on A Pagan Day too)

12. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

surprised this hasn't come up yet - its a belter (racist art work notwithstanding)
    [​IMG]

Sprocket. likes this.
  13. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Reverend Gary Davis "live at Newport". his live albums are the way to go for me, much as I love his early 40s crazy fast technical blues style, I really LOVE his rougher more emotional live output from the 60s/70s.

14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Celia Cruz had 2 out in 68 that I'll be checking out tomorrow hopefully.

15. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

If you're interested in Latin music, check out Fania's releases: it's wall to wall classics in '68.

rutabowa likes this.
  16. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ken Boothe "Mr rock steady" shd prob be somewhere

Spandex and Fozzie Bear like this.
  17. copliker

copliker ...

This is great ta.

Spandex likes this.
  18. Spandex

If there's one problem with that album it's that the first track is so off-the-scale amazing that the rest, despite being great, suffers by comparison.

19. Spandex

The Heptones!

20. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Lack of musical prowess, LSD and a heavy dose New York weirdness. Some say it's the worst The Godz ever made, I reckon it could be the best.

rutabowa likes this.
  21. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Much as Id like to Im struggling to get behind any of the hippy LPs from this peak-hippy year. Curious to see what the hippiest lp to make it into the final list is.

Best two Ive never heard before finds so far are this really accessible tight and lyrical south african jazz lp - really lovely vibes and great playing. So sweet impossible not to like...
    Mankunku Quartet - Yakhal' Inkomo

title track tribute to John Coltrane (who died the previous year)

as it says in the liner notes, brilliant piano solo on that
    And this kinda psych-brazilian LP (great artwork too)

Reading about, both have been super rare but had reissues in the last couple of years.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    nogojones likes this.
  22. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Might need time to reflect, but my kneejerk reaction would be 'Astral Weeks'.

23. ska invita

Nice little blog project
    The '68 Comeback Special "Revisiting the albums of 1968 on their 50th anniversary"
    Good write up of albums from 68

24. isvicthere?

On reflection, I might also go for 'Village green preservation society'.

25. isvicthere?

I somehow always assumed, without checking, that this was from 1967.

26. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

If it's any help there's a hell of a lot on the wiki list that I listened to at the time and thought wonderful but now, listening with 2018 ears, nah, not so much. Maybe the drugs were just better then.

ska invita likes this.
  27. ska invita

yeah i think my window for a lot of that has closed. maybe i need my third eye chakra cleasing :)
    Im finding the whole indian scales and sitars thing particularly grating. Alice Coltrane notwithstanding.

at work i can only listen with a single ear bud which is really working against all that 68 hard panning! ;) IIRC even Aretha Now had some tracks with the drums in the right only. Might have been Etta James as it goes. Discovered a couple of good albums with only clean vocals in the left channel though which makes them very tidy to cut up and stick in a sampler.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  28. ska invita

Been checking out this (its on Spotify):
    White Light/White Heat (3CD - 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition) (with Flexi Exclusive) | The Velvet Underground | Music, News, Reissues
    some fairly interesting bits including unreleased stuff on there, but I think its the live set on CD3 that is the best part of it.

Includes an instrumental of the Gift. Only so many times you can hear that story. Id guess its just the right channel from the original turned into a mono though, and not sure its stands up on its own tbh.

Overall these packages can err on spoiling the classic album I find.

29. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

"Hippiest" ?.

Lurdan gloomily contemplates the erasure of the distinctions between musical types which seemed so clear cut when he was 15.

I'd have thought Electric Ladyland might be a contender for the final list.

Dave King's original UK LP covers for Track Records aren't seen on reissues. Always liked this collage which was used on one of the discs for it's release as single albums. (Double albums were still something of a novelty for pop releases).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loved the Mekon on the back.

Dr. Furface and ska invita like this.
  30. ska invita

Id be curious to hear you lay them out Lurdan. Its true I dont have the vocabulary for it.
    i guess i meant overindulgent in some psychedelic shape or form

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018