Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year - 1968

Knotted

Sweet when you stir it up
I fell in love with Rogerio Duprat's album over the weekend. It is perhaps bad form to give away one of your choices but a lot of people are going to miss this one especially as it's just a covers album.

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
Van Morrison is the shit.

No, sorry. Van Morrison is shit. Went to see him in 1983/4 at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road because my hip student friend (now famous theatre director and not a friend anymore) had a spare free ticket and begged me to come. (We weren’t even living in London, this involved a train ride from Colchester ffs).

One of the dullest evenings of my life. You will die Fozzie Bear.
You see, you're right. And this is why, as mentioned, I can't really bring myself to pay it much. But when I do..... It is magnificent, a (small) world changing piece of music. The band are out of this world, n the lyrics pure poetry, even his voice is damned good. The fact that Morrisey is a complete cunt doesn't stop The Smiths from being a brilliant album, nor does Dylan's desecrations of his entire back catalogue reduce their wonder. The same shoud be true of Van.

Listen to it, all of it. Now.

Last edited:

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
And in the 21st Century, nobody actually releases records months apart in different countries, do they?
These days you get streaming, digital, CD, vinyl (and maybe cassette) released at different times, sometimes months apart. For non-major label releases from today it'll be just as hard to pin down a release date in the future.

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
These days you get streaming, digital, CD, vinyl (and maybe cassette) released at different times, sometimes months apart. For non-major label releases from today it'll be just as hard to pin down a release date in the future.
Non-physical releases can fuck off. CD & vinyl tends to come out at the same time, and cassettes are pretty much only for odd releases. It's the ALBUM of the Year chart, actual albums only.

Spandex

68 was when James Brown starting taking making albums seriously and of the seven or so he released one is a desert island record for me. Just have to decide which one :confused:
I'm trying to make sense of James Brown's releases from 68 and it's not proving easy. I Got the Feeling was also released as King of Soul in Europe. I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me was also released as Mr Soul and This Is James Brown. Some of his records were released as James Brown, some as James Brown and the Famous Flames. The Show of Tomorrow is released under his own name, but is a compilation.

I suspect that even if everyone votes for a James Brown album, voting splitting won't see any of them place...

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me
I Got the Feelin'
James Brown Plays Nothing But Soul
Thinking About Little Willie John and a Few Nice Things

Those are your James Brown choices

mojo pixy

unquantifiable hazards
The Beatles (aka The White Album obvs) gets its own prize for covering every style of music all the other bands chose one of and stuck to.

Lurdan

old wave
I'm trying to make sense of James Brown's releases from 68 and it's not proving easy. I Got the Feeling was also released as King of Soul in Europe. I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me was also released as Mr Soul and This Is James Brown. Some of his records were released as James Brown, some as James Brown and the Famous Flames. The Show of Tomorrow is released under his own name, but is a compilation.
I think 'I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me' was his first truly great studio album, but then there's also 'Live at the Apollo vol 2'. I'm leaning towards the former myself but really, what a years recordings. 'Plays Nothing But Soul' has some of his greatest soul-jazz performances.

I suspect that even if everyone votes for a James Brown album, voting splitting won't see any of them place...
Of course I wouldn't want to suggest tactical voting - we'd probably finish up with The Doors again :eek:

I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me
I Got the Feelin'
James Brown Plays Nothing But Soul
Thinking About Little Willie John and a Few Nice Things

Those are your James Brown choices
Surely 'Live at the Apollo Vol 2' and 'A Soulful Christmas' also qualify. (Not that I see the latter doing much business even with 'Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto' on it)

Spandex

I think 'I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me' was his first truly great studio album, but then there's also 'Live at the Apollo vol 2'. I'm leaning towards the former myself but really, what a years recordings.
Yeah, I Can't Stand Myself... is the one I was heading for. Plenty of time for my shortlist to change yet...

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
Surely 'Live at the Apollo Vol 2' and 'A Soulful Christmas' also qualify. (Not that I see the latter doing much business even with 'Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto' on it)
Curses, I beleive you are right. And Soulful... contains the first album release of Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud on it

Lurdan

old wave
Curses, I beleive you are right. And Soulful... contains the first album release of Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud on it
It's one of the few Christmas albums which doesn't require some alcohol to get past the cheese IMO - real shame that like one or two of the others it's either not readily available at all or in this case in it's original form with non-christmas related tracks.

Spandex

Actually, the best James Brown album from '68 might not be under his own name at all, but produced by him...

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
Actually, the best James Brown album from '68 might not be under his own name at all, but produced by him...
Actually James Brown was yet to sack his whole band therefore allowing Bootsy Collins to join so the best ‘68 James Brown album probably wasn’t even released until ‘71.

Spandex

Actually James Brown was yet to sack his whole band therefore allowing Bootsy Collins to join so the best ‘68 James Brown album probably wasn’t even released until ‘71.
The best James Brown album was in '72, so I think you're onto something there. That'll have to wait til 2022 though...

Indeliblelink

\..................................../
Talking of soundtracks, I thought Morricone's "C'era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon A Time In The West)" was 1968 but Discogs is saying '69.

Last edited:

Indeliblelink

\..................................../
It's not the soundtrack LP but Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" will always remind me of Michael Mann's 1986 film Manhunter.

Casual Observer

binoculars
Some absolutely killer music recorded in '68 that wasn't released until much much later (so can't be voted for). Pärson Sound, Michael Yonkers etc..

Not much use me posting that, really.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
Oliveros was also on this great LP in '68, which I think is excluded (could we have a check on that? It's several artist's work, but not available previously - a lot of contemporary classical & avant-garde music was releases in similar ways around here...)

SpookyFrank

Self-cleaning oven, the whole bit.
It's not the soundtrack LP but Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" will always remind me of Michael Mann's 1986 film Manhunter.
Ooh yes, one of those movies where one tune really defines the whole thing, as proven by the almost shot-for-shot remake which lacks that tune and is rubbish.