Urban75 Album of the Year - 1968

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

I fell in love with Rogerio Duprat's album over the weekend. It is perhaps bad form to give away one of your choices but a lot of people are going to miss this one especially as it's just a covers album.

2. copliker

copliker ...

Vanilla Fudge. Far out.

3. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

You see, you're right. And this is why, as mentioned, I can't really bring myself to pay it much. But when I do..... It is magnificent, a (small) world changing piece of music. The band are out of this world, n the lyrics pure poetry, even his voice is damned good. The fact that Morrisey is a complete cunt doesn't stop The Smiths from being a brilliant album, nor does Dylan's desecrations of his entire back catalogue reduce their wonder. The same shoud be true of Van.

Listen to it, all of it. Now.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

These days you get streaming, digital, CD, vinyl (and maybe cassette) released at different times, sometimes months apart. For non-major label releases from today it'll be just as hard to pin down a release date in the future.

5. belboid

Non-physical releases can fuck off. CD & vinyl tends to come out at the same time, and cassettes are pretty much only for odd releases. It's the ALBUM of the Year chart, actual albums only.

6. Spandex

I'm trying to make sense of James Brown's releases from 68 and it's not proving easy. I Got the Feeling was also released as King of Soul in Europe. I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me was also released as Mr Soul and This Is James Brown. Some of his records were released as James Brown, some as James Brown and the Famous Flames. The Show of Tomorrow is released under his own name, but is a compilation.

I suspect that even if everyone votes for a James Brown album, voting splitting won't see any of them place...

7. butcher

butcher boner at the ready

8. belboid

I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me
    I Got the Feelin'
    James Brown Plays Nothing But Soul
    Thinking About Little Willie John and a Few Nice Things

Those are your James Brown choices

Spandex likes this.
  9. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

The Beatles (aka The White Album obvs) gets its own prize for covering every style of music all the other bands chose one of and stuck to.

krtek a houby likes this.
  10. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

I think 'I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me' was his first truly great studio album, but then there's also 'Live at the Apollo vol 2'. I'm leaning towards the former myself but really, what a years recordings. 'Plays Nothing But Soul' has some of his greatest soul-jazz performances.

Of course I wouldn't want to suggest tactical voting - we'd probably finish up with The Doors again :eek:

Surely 'Live at the Apollo Vol 2' and 'A Soulful Christmas' also qualify. (Not that I see the latter doing much business even with 'Santa Claus Goes Straight To The Ghetto' on it)

Spandex likes this.
  11. Spandex

Yeah, I Can't Stand Myself... is the one I was heading for. Plenty of time for my shortlist to change yet...

12. belboid

Curses, I beleive you are right. And Soulful... contains the first album release of Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud on it

13. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

14. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

It's one of the few Christmas albums which doesn't require some alcohol to get past the cheese IMO - real shame that like one or two of the others it's either not readily available at all or in this case in it's original form with non-christmas related tracks.

[​IMG]

15. Spandex

Actually, the best James Brown album from '68 might not be under his own name at all, but produced by him...

16. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

also this

[​IMG]

Knotted likes this.
  17. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Actually James Brown was yet to sack his whole band therefore allowing Bootsy Collins to join so the best ‘68 James Brown album probably wasn’t even released until ‘71.

Spandex and belboid like this.
  18. Spandex

The best James Brown album was in '72, so I think you're onto something there. That'll have to wait til 2022 though...

planetgeli likes this.
  19. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Intrigued :cool: Hank Ballard ?

20. Spandex

Yep. Love Hank Ballard :cool:

Lurdan likes this.
  21. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Meanwhile in the groovy soundtrack aisle...

[​IMG]

Dr. Furface and killer b like this.
  22. Talking of soundtracks, I thought Morricone's "C'era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon A Time In The West)" was 1968 but Discogs is saying '69.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  23. It's not the soundtrack LP but Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" will always remind me of Michael Mann's 1986 film Manhunter.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  24. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Some absolutely killer music recorded in '68 that wasn't released until much much later (so can't be voted for). Pärson Sound, Michael Yonkers etc..

Not much use me posting that, really.

25. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

This looks interesting too. I've been listening to quite a bit of Pauline Oliveros lately, will have to try and track this one down for a listen.

[​IMG]

26. killer b

Oliveros was also on this great LP in '68, which I think is excluded (could we have a check on that? It's several artist's work, but not available previously - a lot of contemporary classical & avant-garde music was releases in similar ways around here...)

[​IMG]

27. sunnysidedown

Vortex Records put out some interesting stuff in '68, including Keith Jarretts first 2 albums.

28. sunnysidedown

killer b Discogs has that down as '67. There's this Morton Subotnick album from '68, not heard it but i'll be giving it a listen later!

[​IMG]

29. killer b

everyone else has it listed at 68, but either way I think some guidance on this kind of release would be helpful belboid

sunnysidedown likes this.
  30. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Ooh yes, one of those movies where one tune really defines the whole thing, as proven by the almost shot-for-shot remake which lacks that tune and is rubbish.