Urban75 Album of the Year - 1968

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by belboid, Oct 2, 2018.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

There's no point in hanging about, is there? And, following complaints about the short time allotted for the 1958 voting, you can now have two - count them, two! - glorious weeks to make your mind up about whether you prefer Dionne Warwick in Valley of the Dolls or Shades of Deep Purple.

So, get your votes to me by 6pm October 16th, from 1-20 if you can be bothered. Preferably without the number at the beginning cos I still haven't worked out a really simple way to strip them out prior to totting everything up.

NO COMPILATIONS! Anyone voting for Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4 will be disbarred from ever voting again.

No questions or queries will be answered by me, because you should all know how it works by now. And I'm holiday.

Have some lists:
    1968 in music - Wikipedia
    https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1968
    Rolling Stone's Best Albums of 1968

2. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

white light / white heat is a shoe-in, although it should be Scott 2.

3. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

4. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

5. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

Silver Apples - Silver Apples

6. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Yeah I know what my number 1 is. Hell of a lot of competition for the rest though.

7. sunnysidedown

There's some cracking albums there. I'm going to have to give that Soft Machine album a proper listen later.

8. belboid

VU&N seemed like a shoo-in [this is the correct spelling], in '67, but it turned out to be the bloody Doors

9. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Did we previously decide what we'd do about albums which were released in different years in different countries (I'm thinking about Miles' Filles de Kilimanjaro, which was apparently released in 1968 in UK and 1969 in US)?

10. belboid

That's deffo a '68 then. There is an element of 'depends' I think - for later years, probably seventies, eighties, nineties, I'd say it was definitely year of UK release, because of the difficulty most of us had in getting hold of imports. For records from before then, well, we probably weren't actually buying them as new releases, so the year of original release, wherever, seems reasonable. And in the 21st Century, nobody actually releases records months apart in different countries, do they?

Fozzie Bear and andysays like this.
  11. killer b

We can't allow a repeat of such an injustice

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  12. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

*Makes note to put Waiting for the Sun at top of list*

The39thStep and Kaka Tim like this.
  13. Knotted

It's fantastic.

14. Knotted

Is anybody voting Astal Weeks and if so what is the appeal of this? I don't get it.

Kaka Tim and Dr. Furface like this.
  15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

It's one of those "classic albums you must hear before you die" jobs that I haven't heard. So will try to give it a go.

16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

If I die afterwards, I will blame you lot.

marty21, mojo pixy and belboid like this.
  17. belboid

It's one of those albums I very rarely play, because I probably did do too much twenty odd years ago, and because he's a bit of an arse these days. But it is fucking magnificent.

18. killer b

I've also never listened to it, but there's far more interesting looking albums I haven't heard that I'll be checking out before I bother. Dunno if I'll get as far as van tbh

19. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

I'm so edgy I've never even heard of Van Morrison, so I win.

20. killer b

don't think you're in any position for snark at anyone else's rejection of popular culture tbf

21. SpookyFrank

Sorry I don't have time to read this post. I know lots of people do read your posts but these days I'm mostly into much more obscure stuff that makes me far more interesting than most people.

Paradoxically however I did have time to swing by and tell everyone about this.

22. killer b

I guess you've got Astral Weeks at number 1 then.

23. SpookyFrank

More of a TB Sheets man myself.

24. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Van Morrison is the shit.

No, sorry. Van Morrison is shit. Went to see him in 1983/4 at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road because my hip student friend (now famous theatre director and not a friend anymore) had a spare free ticket and begged me to come. (We weren’t even living in London, this involved a train ride from Colchester ffs).

One of the dullest evenings of my life. You will die Fozzie Bear.

25. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I’m very much in the Van is boring camp myself.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  26. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

We were only supposed to blow them off...

68 was when James Brown starting taking making albums seriously and of the seven or so he released one is a desert island record for me. Just have to decide which one :confused:

27. killer b

Great year for freak-out acid rock. Electric Prunes, United States of America, The Fugs, Beefheart...

28. Knotted

To be fair it is magnificent. The backing band is fantastic.

29. Knotted

And Blue Cheer.

30. sunnysidedown

bit of this too.

[​IMG]

sankara, elbows, nogojones and 4 others like this.