Urban seed Exchange

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by northernhord, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

*Subscribes* :)

2. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

I would welcome swapping some seeds!

I've got

Bulgarian Carrot Chilli seeds
    Birdseye Chilli seeds
    Tongues of Fire Chilli seeds
    Border Chilli seeds
    Coriander
    Pakchoi

3. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

Tooter, what veg are are looking to grow?

4. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

Potatoes,Beans, Radishes, Lettuce, Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, Garlic, Patchoi...:) Send me a PM if you want to swap...

5. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

I've got the following seeds, but no room to grow them now...

Tomato (gardener's delight)
    Lettuce (lollo rosso)
    Beetroot (boltardy)
    Butternut squash (hunter)
    Carrot (early nantes)
    Purple sprouting broccoli (rudolph)
    Climbing french beans (got these from Spark but never got round to growing them :()

What I do have is a window box that I want to grow some flowers in :)

I know it might be a bit late for chillies now but could I grow chillies in a flower box too?

If so, anyone up for swapping that lot for some flower and chilli seeds?

6. Biddlybee

Going to bung these in the recycle thread too, to give away, because I might end up buying established plants for my window box :oops:

7. Biddlybee

All gone now.

8. fernhill heath

fernhill heath New Member

i've many seeds to exchange and would be glad to get sumat i aint got.

i have french beans, normal. black and yellow.
    harricott beans
    mangetout
    peas
    lots of lettucce cos green,little gems purple annd green ( imho slugs/snails steer clear nof red or purple stuff) iceberg, oak leaf( cut and grow) in green and purple. lakeland abd many more.
    purple. yellow and orange caroots.
    leeks. onoions
    yellow, black and green courgette
    spring onions nornal and purple
    sweet corn normal and little
    purple popping corn
    chillies
    variours sqaush and gords
    my owm opinion is that slugs/snails dont go for red/purple stuff but thats me and it might b different where you are but if you want to swap let me know

and countless flowers
    time is running out for this year but i think if you whack it all in b4 the end of may you gotta change of it all comming good

9. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Seeds keep quite well in the fridge. Parsnip seed goes off really fast though.....

Lotus, magnolia and tomato seeds are viable after centuries...the first two have been found in Chinese tombs and germinated and the tomato seeds in a tomb in Latin America, so don't chuck seeds if they've passed their sow by date, give 'em a go.

10. fernhill heath

fernhill heath New Member

thats right i think they put a best sown b4 date so you buy more. i have found things growing years after i sown them there. they have been dormant then when i've forked it over a few years later and some seeds have came to to top of the soil then they have germinated, like mrs magpie said give them a go. if you sow them at the right time and they dont grow after 3 weeks then fair dos sow some more. but most seeds just need that right soil temp to set them off and they will do what they are programmed to do.
    it's fucking amazing some seeds will wait forever and when the time is right they will do the business,
    it's second only to watching a child grow and every year it blows my mind seeing this happen.
    i am a simple man and these simple things do it totally for me. some people like cars . fashion, football or whatever but for me it's stuff growing and it's so much more easy than people think, they just do what they do all you have to do weed round them and you will be rewarded with the best nature has to offer,
    i love this time of year when it all kicks off and you can just sit back and watch it happen
    it's what life is all about and it blows my mind every year

ace

11. citygirl

citygirl friendly fire

:cool::)

12. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

This, except seeds are quicker and sometimes the resulting plant will outlive the sower far longer than a child will eg oak. Which brings me to another point. Some seeds require one period of cold, some require two periods of cold (double dormancy). This is often the case for tree seeds that grow in areas with cold winters. Luckily you can fool them by putting them in damp compost in a placcy bag and one or two stints in the fridge (this is a different number to storing dry seeds in the fridge).

13. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

Got your seeds Mel! Just put a package together and it is in the post in the morning... :)

I've found a load more now (in no particular order):

cucumber (marketmore)
    courgette (green bush)
    lettuce (webbs wonderful)
    radish (scarlet globe)
    Pak Choi (F1 Hanakan)
    chilli pepper (hot tepin)
    Leek (Autum Giant)
    French bEAN (Dwarf)
    Sweet Pea (Tamar mix)
    Spinach (Bordaux F1 Hybrid)
    Parsnip (Avon resister).

14. Melinda

Toot Toot Mr Tooter!! :D

[​IMG]

Corrrrr! I got a fantastic surprise tonight when I got home :D

Hurrah!! Hurrah!! Hurrah!! :cool::cool:

15. gwenjones28

gwenjones28 New Member

Gourd seeds for asparagus seeds

A good idea! In a few weeks I think we'll be having lots of asparagus seeds to swap (mind you I am only a beginner asparagus farmer!)

I would love to grow some of those gourds that look so pretty in shop windows when they are dried.

By the way, this is my first post. I'm off work now, and so I'm looking around for enriching things to do...like, wasting time on internet sites!:rolleyes:

Gwen

16. Leggsy

Leggsy Uranium Wastelands

got some seeds that came out of a thai stick might have a bash with them this year

17. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

*hoping a few people have subscribed!

Got loads of seeds! Anyone fancy swapping certain seeds or a mystery swap.....send me a PM! :)

18. Melinda

I have mixed small fruiting squashes- it'll be pot luck as to what you end up with,
    parsnip- white gem
    peas,- early onward, hurst greenshaft
    beans- broad, french and runner beans
    beetroot-boltardy
    various chillis
    various herbs
    Leeks

19. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

I have TONS of Humulus Lupulus 'Aurea' which have self sown everywhere which I'm going to dig up and chuck unless anyone wants them. I will send you bare root plants if you PM me your address :)

[​IMG]

20. Addy

Addy cooking...

21. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Olly Murs is a cock

oh, I thought this was gonna be about something else.

what about clones?

22. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Has anyone got any scented Nicotiana (preferably not the stuff that grows huge, but maybe the stuff that grows to 3ft) please?

I have various flower seeds to offer in exchange

23. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I've got some snake seed. I'm looking for something with plump red petals that's got a nice scent to it. Got some Cyclops giant sunflower seeds as well ;)

24. invisibleplanet

invisibleplanet porter des cornes

I'm looking for honesty and borage seeds.
    Will swop for any seeds from my collection.

25. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

26. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

27. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Cheers for that but it's an app

28. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

Does anyone want some Macleaya cordata 'Kellways coral plume'? Mine have put down runners/self-sown and I need to get rid of a few of them.

They're not seeds but I can dig them up and send them 1st class and they should survive. They grow to about 1-2m so you need a bit of space :eek:

[​IMG]

29. Biddlybee

Would anyone like some lemon cucumber seeds? Got some free with an order I made.

30. Zazzy

Zazzy New Member

Hi.
    Are people here still interested in swaps? How about a circle where we have say 16 members, and all send in 15 [small, handmade] packs, and some postage, and each person gets one pack of each back? We could stick to veg and each pack doesn't have to have alot of seeds in it.