1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban regeneration in Brixton: a study from the front line of gentrification. Discuss

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 22, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Greebo likes this.
  2. technical

technical stripey

That is a really interesting article. Makes loads of fair points, although my initial reaction is that it makes no mention of the massive funding cuts to Lambeth that have forced it to make some (but not all) of the decisions that they have, or indeed of the demographic changes/population growth that has created the housing crisis which in turn has partly fuelled demand for Brixton as a place to live.

Greebo likes this.
  3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I will get in touch with him. I think he should cover the Brixton Rec.

Glad he brought up the fact that the Council has adopted One Planet Living principles. These cover issue of sustainability in a broad sense. From sustaining communities to green energy.

Whilst OPL is supposed to inform all new development the Council pay lip service to them.

I pointed out to an officer recently that the Network Rail plans for the arches go against OPL. Which are written into the planning guidelines.

The officer retorted that OPL was just "aspirational".

Yet another case of how the local community come last behind big business and the Council.

Greebo and editor like this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Also thought it was good he brought up the needs of young people. Nu Brixton has little to offer them. Why Brixton Rec is important. It provides a safe space for younger people. And a lot of activities.

As he correctly points out teenagers have not much space to hang out in. Especially if they are limited in funds.

Greebo likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was written by a she, by the way :)

Gramsci likes this.
  6. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

Back in the mists of the past - okay, the '80s! - that's what regeneration meant. It meant improving an area through improving the infrastructure, not through wreaking demographic change via gentrification.

lefteri likes this.