1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban Recipe Repository

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by ringo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

The old Recipe Wiki is no more, time for a new place to stick well tried and tested recipes and Urban favourites.

This from Leiths Vegetarian Bible is a cracker

saffron_and_tomato_potatoes.jpg

2. ringo

Aqua's Cheesecake

100g chocolate digestive biscuits
    50g butter melted
    2 x 200g white chocolate bars
    284ml tub of double cream
    250g tub full fat soft cheese
    200g mascarpone (are your arteries clogging yet? :D)

now it suggests serving with a blueberry sauce which is 275g blueberries, 50g caster sugar and 1tbsp lemon juice heated together to make a sauce. Tbh, I've never bothered :oops:

Line an 8" springform tin so it doesn't get stuck with greaseproof paper. Melt butter, add to crushed biscuits and put into the tin and smooth to make the base. It looks like there isn't enough biscuit, and its up to you what you do but I normally use 50% more than they suggest cos I like a good base :)

Stick in fridge for up to 24hours or if like me, for as long as you have.

Melt chocolate as normal, keep an eye on it though cos its white and a bit different, when melted leave to cool a bit (but not till its cold obv).

then basically mix together the cream cheese, mascarpone, and chocolate, this is heaven in a bowl and if you have any chocaholics keep them away.

Spoon onto base, and smooth, stick in fridge for at least 3 hours to set nicely.

Biddlybee and Badgers like this.
  3. ringo

The Hairy Bikers Sausage Casserole

Serves 6.

Ingredients:
    • 1–2 tbsp sunflower oil
    • 12 good quality pork sausages
    • 6 rashers rindless streaky bacon, cut into 2.5cm/1in lengths
    • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    • ½–1 tsp hot chilli powder or smoked paprika
    • 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
    • 300ml/10fl oz chicken stock
    • 2 tbsp tomato purée
    • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 tbsp dark brown muscovado sugar
    • 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
    • 100ml/3½fl oz red or white wine (optional)
    • 1 x 400g/14oz can butter beans or mixed beans
    • salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Method:
    Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the sausages gently for 10 minutes, turning every now and then until nicely browned all over. Transfer to a large saucepan or a flameproof casserole dish and set aside.

Fry the bacon pieces in the frying pan until they begin to brown and crisp then add to the sausages.

Place the onions in the frying pan and fry over a medium heat for five minutes until they start to soften, stirring often. You should have enough fat in the pan, but if not, add a little more oil.

Add the garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes more until the onions turn pale golden-brown, stirring frequently.

Sprinkle over the chilli powder or smoked paprika and cook together for a few seconds longer.

Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and herbs.

Pour over the wine, or some water if you’re not using wine, and bring to a simmer.

Tip carefully into the pan with the sausages and bacon and return to a simmer, then reduce the heat, cover the pan loosely with a lid and leave to simmer very gently for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Drain the beans and rinse them in a sieve under cold running water. Stir the beans into the casserole, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick.

Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with rice or slices of rustic bread.

4. ringo

Xanadu's Mum's Dahl

1. Boil the lentils till you can crush a grain without any hard stuff.
    2. Fry some onion, when translucent add some garlic and ginger, stir for a sec, then add a chopped tomato.
    3. Then add a teaspoon of paprika, and half a teaspoon each of cumin, chilli powder, tumeric, coriander and garam masala.
    4. Once the spices are fried off a little, stir it into the dhal.
    5. Add green chilli, salt and vinegar to taste.
    6. Serve with chapatis, or whatever bread you've got lying around.

badseed, May Kasahara, polly and 2 others like this.
  5. ringo

Huevos Rancheros

1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 tortilla wraps per person
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    Chilli powder or chillis to your taste
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    salt and pepper
    2 fried eggs per person
    grated cheese - Monterey Jack, Emmental, cheddar will do
    sprinkling of paprika

In a little oil fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft.
    Add the tomatoes, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and reduce to a thick sauce (about 15 mins).
    In another frying pan fry the eggs.
    Pile tortillas on plate and microwave for 1 minute.
    Put two tortilla on each plate.
    Spoon over the tomato sauce and spread evenly.
    Put an egg on each tortilla, then sprinkle with grated cheese and paprika.

I usually serve it with refritos (batch from the freezer or tinned)

alan_, Cheesypoof and danski like this.
  6. ringo

Ringo’s Macaroni Cheese

Serves 4

400g Macaroni
    25g butter
    25g plain flour
    500ml milk
    Small handful sliced mushrooms
    250g grated hard cheese (Gruyere, cheddar, comte etc)
    A pinch of English mustard powder or nutmeg
    Salt & pepper
    Handful of halved cherry tomatoes

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Boil the macaroni according to packet instructions

Melt the butter, stir in the flour to the consistency of wet cement and stir for a minute.

Gradually add the milk a little at a time, whisking if necessary to remove all lumps.

Add the mushrooms so that they cook in the sauce and season. Stir until the first bubbles appear, then remove from the heat and stir in most of the cheese.

Add a pinch of English mustard powder or nutmeg.

Drain the pasta.

Combine the pasta & sauce in an oven dish. Top with the tomatoes, sliced side up, and then the remaining cheese.

Bake in oven for 25 minutes.

Alternatives: Add some spinach in with the mushrooms. Use exciting cheeses. Use the green leafy ends of leeks as a topping. Mix the last of the cheese with breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping. Some freaks put plum tomatoes in the sauce. Ignore them.

7. ringo

Ful Gnaoua

* 1 tin black eyed peas (cowpeas), or similar
    * 2 tomatoes, grated
    * 1 large onion, thinly sliced
    * 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
    * 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or coriander
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1/3 cup olive oil

Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan with one cup of water, bring to the boil and simmer until it reaches a thick sauce.

8. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Good idea ringo - I'm making aqua's cheesecake this weekend as it goes, with raspberries stirred in and on top (it's in my recipe folder as 'Aqua's cheesecake' :D).

aqua, Saffy, Badgers and 1 other person like this.
  9. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Quite similar to my recipe for macaroni cheese that is ringo :hmm::p

Badgers likes this.
  10. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Thimble Queen needs to get over here with her kachumber recipe :thumbs:

11. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Creamy Spinach Pasta

This one is so simple but really tasty.

Pasta in a pan (for its 10 minute - or whatever it says on the label - boil)
    A couple of handfuls of spinach leaf in a frying pan. Touch of salt and a clove or so of garlic. Heat gently until it starts to melt a bit.
    Add a dessert spoon or so of mascarpone to the spinach and stir it together.
    Add in the drained pasta when it's ready
    Sprinkle some grated cheese on top for loveliness.

ps You can do exactly the same thing with Gorgonzola (piccante) replacing the spinach. Just melt down the Mascarpone with a bit of garlic. Add in a fair bit of crumbled Gorgonzola till that, too, melts a bit, then add your cooked pasta....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I've got a massive word document of recipes. Is there any way of uploading it on here?

13. ringo

Ha, I think I've pasted yours in, didn't read it properly

sojourner and Badgers like this.
  14. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Good call ringo. I didn't use the urban recipe wiki as much as I should have.
    Oh, and I'm pleased to say that I already topped my cauliflower/pasta/kale/cheese bake thing with sliced tomatoes, and as a result of reading this thread have conformed to Urban standards by adding some extra cheese on top for the last ten minutes in the oven.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    sojourner, Badgers and ringo like this.
  15. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

As that tomato biryani was so intensely good, I'm gonna repost here:

Tomato Biriyani

4 Tomatoes
    2 Onions
    4 Cloves
    3-inch Cinnamon stick
    1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
    few Curry leaves
    1/2 cup Coconut milk
    1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
    1/2 tbsp Chilli powder
    1 1/2 tbsp Salt
    1 1/2 cup Rice
    2 tbsp Oil

Fry onions for a few mins, then add chopped tomatoes and fry until almost broken down.

Add cloves, cinnamon, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Stir for a minute.

Add coconut milk, rice and 2 cups of water.

Bring to boil, put lid on, simmer on lowest light for 10 minutes.

Turn off light, leave lid on, leave for 5 mins.

I got the original from here, but didn't use cloves cos I hate them, subbed garam masala for the curry leaves, don't have a rice cooker (!) so used my usual method for basmati...Tomato Biriyani : Sri Lanka Recipes : Malini's Kitchen

polly, a_chap and neonwilderness like this.
  16. Orang Utan

These are my family favourites:
    LAMB AND BEANS

1 small joint lamb (1/2 a leg?)

garlic (3 cloves?)

haricot beans (1/2 to 1 lb) or 1 or 2 tins

1 bay leaf

1 or 2 tins chopped tomatoes

1 or 2 onions

olive oil or vegetable oil

dried basil

salt and pepper

I haven't given exact quantities for this recipe, as I just guess every time, and it depends what I have got -- for example, for a quickie, you can use cold leftover lamb and tinned haricot beans, and you can always chop up whole tinned tomatoes in a bowl with a pair of scissors. The recipe I will give is the nicest but most expensive and time-consuming.

Wash and rinse the beans, then leave to soak overnight in plenty of cold water. Then drain and rinse the beans again, put in a pan with water to cover*, bring to boil, boil for a few minutes, drain and rinse again, then return to the pan with plenty of cold water**, a clove of garlic and a bay leaf, bring to the boil, lower heat, part-cover (put the lid on a bit askew) and cook gently until the beans are cooked quite soft, but not smashed. (All this performance seems to be the best way of making sure the beans are not too farty, but if this is not a problem you can miss out all the extra rinsing etc. and skip from * to **.)

Meanwhile, peel and cut in half lengthwise one or two cloves of garlic and stick either next to the bone or under the skin of the lamb, then roast slowly until cooked through (this depends on your oven - try 335°F/180°C/Gas Reg 4 for 40 minutes per lb).

Take the roast from the pan, keeping the juices, and carve. Set aside.

Slice or chop the onion and fry gently with oil until soft. Add the juices from the roast, one or two tins of chopped tomatoes and a little dried basil (or oregano or herbes de Provence), bring to the boil, lower heat, and simmer gently for about half an hour, or until the juice starts to reduce. Add the drained beans (keep any liquid, in case you need it to thin the mixture) and slices of lamb, mix all together, season to taste with salt and pepper, add bean cooking liquid to thin down if necessary, and heat through.

If you use tinned beans, drain, discarding the liquid, and rinse, and to avoid fartiness, cover with water, bring to the boil, drain, and discard the water.

KROM BI L'HAM MARHI

(sautéed cabbage with minced meat – a North African recipe)

1 lb minced lamb (or other minced meat)

1 large, firm cabbage

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp black pepper (or generous grind)

3 cloves garlic, crushed

oil

Quarter and core the cabbage, and separate the leaves. Put in a large pot of boiling, salted water, and parboil -- about five minutes? -- do not overcook, as it will be further cooked with the meat. Drain and cool until it is cool enough to handle, then squeeze out as much remaining water as possible, then chop roughly. Meanwhile heat a little oil, and fry the meat and with the spices and a little salt, stirring frequently until it is cooked through. Shortly before eating, in a large frying pan or casserole, heat oil and fry the garlic gently for one minute, then raise the heat, add the cabbage & fry, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage starts to brown. Add the cooked meat, mix well and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately. (Though best when first cooked, this keeps and reheats very well.)

YELLOW CHICKEN

(chicken sofrito from Claudia Roden's Book of Middle Eastern Food)

1 chicken (a large one will do for 2 dishes, a smallish one for 1)

sunflower oil

1 tsp turmeric

1 cardamom pod

white pepper

juice of 1/2 lemon

salt

water

In a large pot put 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 crushed cardamom pod, juice of 1/2 lemon, tsp pepper and 1 tsp salt together with about 1 glass of water (or a bit more if you want as bit more sauce), mix and bring to the boil. Put in the whole chicken, cover, lower heat and cook gently, turning the bird occasionally in the juices so that it absorbs the flavour and takes on the colour all over. Cook for about one hour, or until the flesh lifts clean off the bones. Remove from pot, reserving juices, allow to cool, then remove all the flesh from the bones. Keep the bones to make stock.

Chicken done like this is the basis for Chicken with Pasta and Chicken Eggah (see below and next page). It is also very nice eaten cold as it is, cooled in the juices, which jellify when cold.

CHICKEN AND PASTA

chicken from Yellow Chicken above, chopped in small pieces

cooking juices from chicken

1 lb spaghetti, spaghettini, tagliatelle or any long pasta

sunflower oil, or the chicken fat skimmed from the top of the cooled cooking juices

1 tsp ground cinnamon

water, or stock (made by boiling up the bones and bits of the chicken with vegetables [an onion, a carrot, a stick of celery -- any vegetables you have lying about], herbs [parsley, bay leaf, rosemary, oregano, dried herbs -- whatever you have] a few peppercorns -- anything you fancy! Boil all together gently for about 1 hour. You can use this twice -- once for boiling up the pasta, then keep it when you drain the pasta and use it for making vegetable soup or any other recipe requiring stock. It freezes well. If you can't be bothered simply use water -- it will be fine.)

Boil a pan full of water or stock and cook the pasta until it is al dente (i.e. slightly under-cooked). Drain (keeping liquid if stock). Have ready a big shallow dish which will go in the oven, greased all over. In a large frying pan heat the oil or chicken fat and fry the pasta for a few minutes, stirring until it is coated with the oil or fat. Spread half of the pasta over the bottom of the shallow dish, and cover it with the bits of chicken. Sprinkle over 1 tsp cinnamon, then cover with the other half of the pasta. Heat the chicken cooking juices so they are liquid, and pour over the dish. Cover with a well fitting lid, or with kitchen foil. Bake in a moderate oven (180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4) for about 30 minutes, removing the lid or foil for the last ten minutes if you like a crunchy top.

If you haven't got an oven, or don't want to use it, make a bit more juice by using more water when you cook the chicken, mix up the cooked chicken, together with 1 tsp cinnamon, in this sauce, stir in the half-cooked pasta and finish cooking it in the pan with the sauce and chicken. To get the crunchy effect, finish it in a shallow dish or pan under a grill.

(for Chicken Eggah see next page)

CHICKEN EGGAH

12-oz/375 g (or about half the meat from a Yellow Chicken (see above)

375 -- 500 g (3/4 -- 1 lb) tagliatelle or other long flat pasta

chicken stock (see Chicken and Pasta above) for cooking the pasta

4 eggs

2 -- 3 cardamom pods, cracked open

salt and black pepper

butter

chopped parsley for garnish

Cut the cooked chicken into small pieces. Boil the tagliatelle until al dente (slightly under-cooked), and drain (keep stock for making soup). Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the chicken, the cooked pasta, cardamom pods, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Melt a little butter in a large frying pan, and swirl to make sure the whole surface is covered with a film of butter. Add the egg, chicken and pasta mixture, spread out evenly in the pan, and cook without stirring over a very low heat for about half an hour, or until set. If you put a lid, or a large plate, over the pan, the top will set more quickly and the bottom is less likely to burn before it is ready. Finish under a grill to dry and brown slightly. Turn out onto a large warm dish (if you can -- I usually serve it from the pan!) and garnish with parsley.

TAGINE (any kind)

This is a very approximate recipe as it can be made with all kinds of meat (except pork!) and with all kinds of vegetables and the spices depend largely on personal taste.

MEAT -- The most likely meats are lamb (on or off the bone) or chicken, chopped into pieces.

SPICES -- the essential spices are cumin and coriander, together with white pepper. The next most likely additions are turmeric (a very little) and/or ginger.

VEGETABLES -- My favourite tagine vegetables are carrots or cauliflower, but potato or any other root vegetable is good, so is cabbage, courgette, broad beans -- in fact any vegetables you fancy, separately or in combination. Always include at least 1 onion -- or as many as you like.

PLUS juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon and chopped green coriander

Quantities depend on the number of people and the size of their appetites!

METHOD -- In the best tagines, fry the meat, an onion, sliced lengthwise into half moons, and the spices (about 1 tsp of each spice) gently together, then add lemon juice, and enough water to half-cover; bring to the boil, then cover this mixture and simmer gently until the meat is cooked. Then lift the meat out of the sauce, and cook the prepared vegetables in the sauce. When they are almost cooked, add a little salt to season and return the meat to the pan at the end for about five minutes to reheat and for the flavours to mingle. If you are in a hurry you can just shove everything in together and cook it all like that. Add chopped green coriander at the end if available, and if you like it.

17. Orang Utan

KEDGEREE

Another approximate recipe – quantities to suit your appetite.

Smoked haddock or similar fish

2 onions, 1 chopped and 1 sliced

1 bay leaf

12 peppercorns

rice (about 2 -- 3 oz per person?)

water – calculate the quantity according to the rice: for 4 oz rice – 1/2-pint water, 6 oz rice – 12 fluid oz water, 8 oz rice – 1 pint water etc. (But it depends on the rice, some being more absorbent than others – there may be guidelines on the packet.)

Butter, sunflower oil or margarine

Pinch turmeric (for colour)

Hard-boiled eggs – 1 per person

Wash the rice and leave to drain well.

In a shallow pan put the measured water, the sliced onion, the bay leaf and the peppercorns. Bring the water to a gentle boil, and place fish (cut into pieces to fit the pan if necessary) in pan. Bring back to the boil, put on the lid, turn off heat and leave for ten minutes, turning the fish over after about 2 minutes if it projects above the water. Remove the fish from the pan, keeping the water. Flake the fish when cool enough to handle, discarding any bones. Remove bay leaves, onion and 12 peppercorns from the water.

Heat fat/oil and gently fry the chopped onion with a little turmeric. When softened, stir in rice and cook gently. Add fish-water and cook.

Meanwhile hard-boil eggs. Cool, shell and chop. When rice is nearly done, (after about 25 minutes?) add fish and egg, and stir in gently. Leave to finish.

TAGLIATELLE ALLA BOLOGNESE

Tagliatelle with Bolognese Sauce

It is curious that, the world over, the best-known pasta is spaghetti Bolognese. For in Bologna, where Bolognese sauce was created, it is eaten with tagliatelle - the pasta also created in Bologna. Moreover, the true Bolognese sauce often has little in common with its international namesakes. This is the true Bolognese sauce, as it is cooked at one of Bologna's top restaurants. For 4.

500g tagliatelle

25g dried porcini mushrooms (optional)

80g unsalted butter

80g cubed pancetta

60g celery, finely chopped

60g carrot, finely chopped

a small onion or shallot

500g excellent beef mince

1½ tumblers good red wine

nutmeg, grated

1½ teaspoons plain flour

2 scant teaspoons tomato paste

good Parmesan cheese, grated

Soak the porcini for an hour in a little warm water, if using. Melt three quarters of the butter in a casserole with the bacon. When the bacon begins to colour add the celery, carrot and chopped onion and let them soften gently. Add the beef, and brown it Pour in half the wine and cook briskly to evaporate most of it. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, sprinkle with the flour, stir, add the tomato paste, the porcini and a ladle of porcini water. Cover, and simmer the sauce very slowly for at least l'/2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding a little porcini liquid if necessary. Towards the end taste and adjust the seasoning.

Have ready a large pan of boiling salted water. Cook the pasta al dente, place on a warm dish, add the remaining butter in little flakes, and top with three-quarters of the sauce - the rest is passed round at table, like the Parmesan.

This is the classic version, but some people add 2 tablespoons of thick cream to the sauce at the very end. In Bologna they also vary the recipe by using half beef, half pork.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    doodlelogic and BoatieBird like this.
  18. Orang Utan

MOROCCAN SPICED GRILLED LAMB

For 2

2 chump chops or 350g cubed lamb

1 clove of garlic, crushed

1 small onion, grated or very finely chopped

½ tsp each of ground cumin and paprika

a pinch of cayenne pepper

2 tbsps each of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and coriander leaves

4 tbsps olive oil

juice of ½ lemon

Put the lamb in a shallow dish. Mix the other ingredients and toss with the meat. Leave: the flavour will become stronger the longer the meat marinates. Shake any liquid from the meat and cook under a preheated grill till firm and lightly crisped on the outside and pink and juicy within, about 3*4 minutes on each side.

MACARONI CHEESE

The first motion of Macaroni Cheese being eaten in England was in 1720 and it is hardly surprising that it is still popular today as it is both wholesome and tasty. It can be adapted very easily to suit wholewheat pasta, and wholewheat flour can be used for the sauce. As this combination produces a darker-coloured dish than the traditional one made with refined ingredients, I like to add extra colour by using plenty of chopped parsley. I also sprinkle over a cheese topping and grill this before serving the dish. This can be served with salad or steamed green vegetables for lunch or a light supper.

Serves 2 (4)

1 pint (1¾ pints) milk infused with ½ (1) onion (peeled), 6 (10) whole black peppercorns, 2 (3) bay leaves, 1 teaspoon (1½ teaspoons) thyme, ½ (1) teaspoon grated nutmeg

2 (4) oz butter

1 (1¾) oz flour

salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 (10) oz wholewheat macaroni

6 (10) oz grated Cheddar cheese

1 (2) tablespoons freshly chopped parsley

First infuse the milk by bringing it just to the boil with the onion, spices and herbs. Remove the pan from the heat, cover it and allow the milk to stand for 10-15 minutes, then strain it. Meanwhile melt the butter over a gentle heat in a clean saucepan. Add the flour and cook this roux for 2-3 minutes. Pour over the infused milk, stirring all the time and bring the sauce gradually to the boil. Season well and then allow the sauce to simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling water for 8-10 minutes. When it is just cooked, drain and put it into a warm serving dish. Quickly stir ¾ of the grated cheese and the chopped parsley into the white sauce, then pour this over the cooked macaroni. Cover with the remaining cheese and grill the dish for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve straight away.

COURGETTES WITH TOMATOES

COURGETTES AUX TOMATES

1 lb small courgettes

½ Ib. tomatoes

olive oil

garlic

salt, pepper

If the courgettes are very small, simply wash them and leave them unpeeled. If they are the larger, coarser variety, pare off the rough ridge parts of the skin, so that the courgettes present a striped appearance. It is a pity to peel them entirely, for there is flavour in the skins. Slice them across on the bias, about ¼ inch thick. Sprinkle with salt, put in a colander and leave for an hour or two until the excess moisture has drained out. Shake them in a cloth to dry them. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy frying pan or sauté pan and put in the courgettes. Add a crushed clove of garlic. Let them cook, not too fast, until they have softened, turning them over with a palette knife and shaking the pan from time to time so that they do not stick. Now add the skinned and roughly chopped tomatoes and, when these have softened and turned almost to a sauce, season with a little freshly-milled pepper and turn on to a serving dish. Enough for two or three.

Nice as a separate vegetable, as an accompaniment to veal or lamb, or cold as an hors-d'oeuvre.

19. Orang Utan

20. Orang Utan

LEEK EGGAH

EGGAH BI KORRAT

750g (1½ lbs) leeks juice of ½ lemon

butter salt and black pepper

½ teaspoon sugar 6 eggs

Wash the leeks, trimming off the roots and removing the outer leaves. Cut off the tough tops of the leaves and wash the leeks again carefully. Cut into thinnish slices. Sauté in a little butter, then season with the sugar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Let the leeks stew in their own juices until soft and lightly coloured.

Alternatively, the leeks can be washed and trimmed as above, then boiled in salted water until just soft, drained and chopped.

Beat the eggs lightly in a large bowl. Add the leek mixture, mix again and adjust seasoning. Cook, covered, in a greased non-stick frying pan (preferably fairly deep in relation to its diameter and with a well-fitting lid) over a low heat for about 20-25 minutes), and then put under the grill for a couple of minutes to brown the top. Turn out on to a warm plate and serve cut in slices.

SPlCED LENTILS

Red and green lentils are readily available and used in combination they look quite stunning. For a vegetarian menu, serve either chapattis or rice and a vegetable dish as accompaniments. These lentils are also delicious with grilled fish, poultry or meat.

500g red lentils

500g green lentils

8 tablespoons sunflower oil

4 x 2.5cm (1in) pieces of cinnamon stick, halved

4 small onions, finely chopped

16 teaspoons ginger and garlic paste (see page 3)

4 teaspoons chilli powder

2 teaspoons ground turmeric

4 teaspoon salt or to taste

500g fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped, or canned chopped tomatoes, drained

3½ litres (6 pints) warm water

8 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves

Thoroughly wash both types of lentils together, then leave to drain in a colander.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a non-stick saucepan. Add the cinnamon stick, onion and ginger and garlic purees. Fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to brown.

Stir in the lentils, chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the tomatoes. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.

Pour in the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 25-30 minutes.

Stir in the fresh coriander leaves and cook, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes. Serve garnished with the red and green chillies.

21. Orang Utan

Butter Turka Daal

Serves 4
    500g red lentils

6 tsp Ginger and Garlic Paste (see page 3)

¼ tsp turmeric

3 green chillis, chopped

1½ tsps salt

50g (1½ oz) butter

2-3 cloves garlic, chopped

8 whole dried chillies

1½ tsps cumin seeds

¾ tsp Garnishing Garam Masala (see page 4)

1 tbsp chopped chives

When served with rice, this meal is known as Dal Bhaat in India and Dal Chaval in Pakistan and is one of the most popular meals in both countries. In the UK it is generally called Turka Daal. Rice and lentils is an old, traditional combination and an all-time favourite. The poor eat it because it is what they can afford, and the rich eat it because they happen to like the taste.

Do not be worried about the use of the whole dried chillies. When you are ready to serve, you can pick them out and use them for garnishing so that you will not bite into them by mistake. They are worth trying as they lend the dish their own subtle flavour which cannot be achieved by using chilli powder. If you do use chilli powder instead, add it with the Ginger and Garlic Paste. Never use chilli powder in the Turka process, step 4, as it will burn and spoil the taste and colour of the dish.

METHOD
    1. The red lentils can be cooked without pre-soaking them, just put them into a medium-sized heavy saucepan, wash them in 2-3 changes of water, then drain them.
    2. Add 1 - 1½ litres of water, the Ginger and Garlic Paste, turmeric, green chilli and salt. Bring to the boil gradually over a medium heat, then lower (he heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
    3. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to help break up the lentils. Cook for about 10 more minutes until the lentils have become soft and mushy - an indication that they are cooked and ready for the Turka, the tempering of the dish, which you do next as follows.

1. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over a low heat. Add the garlic, whole dried chillies and cumin seeds to the pan.
    2. As soon as the seeds begin to sizzle, the chillies turn a shade darker and the garlic pieces become pale pink, which will take about 2 minutes, pour the butter mixture over the lentils. Stir it well and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the Garnishing Garam Masala and chives over the top just before serving. Take out the whole chillies before serving if you wish.

BENGAL TARKA DHAL

This is a popular Bengali method of transforming humble red lentils into a superbly flavoured dish with just a few simple ingredients. This dhal is especially good with boiled basmati rice and a dry-spiced fish, meat or vegetable dish.

Serves 4

500g red lentils (masoor dhal)

1½ litres hot water

2½ teaspoons salt or to taste

2 tablespoons sunflower oil or vegetable oil

2 teaspoons Five-Spice Mix (sec page 4)

3-4 green chillies, seeded if liked, chopped

5-6 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves

1 largel tomato, chopped

Wash the lentils well, then drain them and place in a saucepan with the turmeric. Add and water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to just below medium and cook, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 18-20 minutes. Stir in the salt.

• Heat the oil in a small saucepan. When hot, but not smoking, add the five-spice mix followed by the chillies. Cook for 15-20 seconds and then stir in the coriander leaves and tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute.

Add the spice and tomato mixture to the cooked lentils. Stir and serve at once.

SPICED MACKEREL FILLETS

Mackerel are delicious, inexpensive and rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help in the fight against heart disease. Remember to ask the fishmonger to fillet the fish; then this dish can be assembled in minutes.

Serves 4

4 large or 8 small mackerel fillets

½ teaspoon salt or to taste

juice of ½ lime

1 tablespoon sunflower oil

½ teaspoon Ground Roasted Coriander (see page 3)

½ teaspoon Ground Roasted Cumin (see page 3)

½ teaspoon aniseeds

½ -1 teaspoon chilli powder

Preheat the grill to high. Line a grill pan with foil and grease the foil.

Lay the mackerel fillets in the prepared pan, skin sides down. Gently rub in the salt and sprinkle the lime juice over the fish. Brush with the oil and grill 7.5cm (3 in) below the heat source for 3 – 4 minutes.

Mix all the remaining ingredients and sprinkle the mixture over the fish. Grill for about another 1 minute. Serve at once.

TARKA CHANNA DHAL

This very simple, but superbly flavoured, lentil dish can be cooked quite effortlessly. Naan or chapatis and a vegetable dish go well with the dhal. A chutney or raita can be served instead of the vegetable dish. When served with rice, this dhal is also an excellent accompaniment to any fairly dry fish, poultry or meat dish.

500g channa dhal or yellow split peas

1700ml hot water

1½ teaspoons salt or to taste

2 tablespoons sunflower oil or vegetable oil

5cm piece cinnamon stick

8 green cardamom pods, bruised

8 cloves

3 bay leaves, crumpled

4 small dried red chillies (bird's eye chillies)

2 green chillies, seeded if liked, chopped

3-4 small tomatoes, chopped

4-5 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves

Wash and drain the dhal well, then place them in a saucepan with the turmeric. Pour in the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 9-10 minutes. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes.

Stir in the salt, switch off the heat and mash some of the dhal with a potato masher to thicken the mixture. The dhal should be the consistency of mango chutney: if it is too thick, add a little water.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Fry the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaves and both types of chilli for 25-30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute.

Add the spice mixture to the dhal with the coriander leaves. Stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes before serving.

22. Orang Utan

HAAK

1¾ lb(800g) tender spring greens

4 fl oz (100 ml) mustard oil or groundnut oil

¼ tsp ground asafetida

1¾ tsp salt or more to taste

1-5 whole dried hot red peppers

1-5 whole fresh hot green chillies

Trim away the coarse lower stems of the greens. Separate each leaf and wash it well. Keep the leaves whole.

Heat the oil in an 8-9 inch (20-23 cm) wide, 4 quart (4½ litres) pot over a medium flame. When hot, put in the asafetida. Let it sizzle for 5 seconds. Put in the greens and cover the pot immediately. Uncover the pot after 10 seconds and stir the greens. Add the salt. Stir and sauté the greens for a minute. Now add the red peppers, the green chillies, and 1½ pt (850 ml) of water. Bring to the boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer gently for 1 hour or until greens are tender. There should be about 6 fl oz (175 ml) liquid left at the bottom of the pot. If there is more, boil it away. Check the salt. Serve in a warm bowl with plain rice as an accompaniment.

SAUSAGES BRAISED IN WHITE WINE

Serves two

4-6 pork sausages depending on their size

1tbsp olive oil

2 shallots, finely chopped

100ml good chicken stock

1 small wineglass of wine, red or white

2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

a knob of butter

chopped parsley

Butter a heavy, heatproof dish. Place the sausages in the pan with the oil and set over a medium heat. Brown them on all sides very lightly. Scatter over the shallots and cook for a minute or so; then add all the other ingredients except the parsley.

Cover and simmer for 15 minutes till the sausages are tight and tender. Check from time to time that the liquid has not completely evaporated – there should be enough left to make a bit of sauce with. Lift out the sausages, drop in a large knob of cold butter and stir in till the sauce thickens. Scatter parsley and serve hot.

23. Orang Utan

MASALA CABBAGE

1 1/2 lb (675 g) cabbage

2 tbsp ghee

1/2 tsp paprika or chilli powder

1 onion, finely sliced

1 tsp garam masala

pinch of mace

1 tsp turmeric powder

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1 inch (2.5 cm) piece of ginger, finely sliced

juice of 1/2 lemon

Wash the cabbage and shred. A firm white cabbage gives the best results. Heat ghee and fry onion, garlic and ginger. Add turmeric, salt and paprika, and fry briefly. Add cabbage, stir fry for a few minutes, then cover and cook on a medium heat till tender. Uncover and dry off any remaining water by raising the heat. Sprinkle with garam masala, lemon juice and mace.

WHOLE BROWN LENTILS

Malika Masoor Daal

Serves 4

500 g brown lentils

6 tsp grated ginger

¼ tsp turmeric

1½ tsp salt

45 g/1½ oz butter

71 g/3 oz onion, chopped

11 cloves garlic, chopped

1½ tsp cumin seeds

7 whole dried chillies (optional)

1½ tsp chilli powder

1-2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped

The word Malika means the Queen, and the humble brown lentil has been honoured with this name because it is so popular. Underneath those turtle-brown shells lie the split red lentils that are more commonly seen in the West. Though the cooking methods for both lentils are somewhat similar, the taste and the look of the dish will vary a great deal. The brown lentil has an earthy taste of its own and makes a soft, brown, thick, soupy sauce.

Method
    1. Pick over the lentils (if you need to), then pour them into a medium-sized heavy saucepan, wash them in a few changes of water, then soak them in 1400 ml/3½ pints of water for 30 minutes.

2. Add the ginger, chilli powder, turmeric and salt and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

3. Although the lentils will be tender and soft at this stage, they will still have that insipid, watery look about them. Continue cooking and, at the same lime, try to break or mash some of the lentils against the side of the saucepan with the back of a wooden spoon until the mixture takes on a thick, dissolved and mushy look.

4. Melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the onions and fry them until they begin to turn translucent.

5. Add the garlic, Cumin seeds and whole dried chillies if using any - it will take about '/2 a minute for the garlic to turn pink. Then, add this sizzling mixture to the simmering lentils, stir and leave it to simmer for another few minutes, and serve.

24. Orang Utan

SOUR CHICKPEAS

Khatte chhole
    Known variously as chickpeas, garbanzos, and in India, chholas and kabuli chanas, this unsplit, heart-shaped legume provides North Indians with some of their tastiest snack foods. As a child in Delhi, I much preferred buying my chholas from itinerant street vendors. They were invariably sourer, spicier and much tastier than anything produced at home. (One of the reasons for my partiality to 'unclean bazaar food', as my father called it, may well have been that we were forbidden to eat it!) In this recipe, I have tried to reproduce that elusive ‘bazaar’ taste which made me an addict of the dish many years ago.

Although Khatte chhole are generally eaten as a snack in India, I serve them at my lunches and dinners, with vegetables, meats and rice.

Serves 6

1 lb (450g) chickpeas picked over, washed and drained

3 pints (1.75 litres) water

10 –11 oz (275-300g) onions, peeled and very finely chopped

2½ teaspoons salt

1 fresh, hot green chilli, finely chopped

1tablespoon very finely grated fresh ginger (grate after peeling)

4 tablespoons lemon juice

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

½ Ib (225g) tomatoes, finely chopped

1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds

1 tablespoon ground cumin seeds

½ teaspoon ground turmeric

2 teaspoons garam masala

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Soak the chickpeas in 3 pints (1.75 litres) of water for 20 hours. Put the chickpeas and their soaking liquid into a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer gently for an hour and a half or until chickpeas are tender. Strain the chickpeas and save the cooking liquid.

Put 2 tablespoons of the chopped onions, ½ teaspoon salt, green chilli, ginger and lemon juice into a tea-cup. Mix well and set aside.

Heat the oil in a heavy, wide, casserole-type pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the remaining chopped onions. Stir and fry for 8 – 10 minutes or until the onion bits develop reddish-brown spots. Add the tomatoes. Continue to stir and fry another 5-6 minutes, mashing the tomato pieces with the back of a slotted spoon. Put in the coriander, cumin and turmeric. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds. Now put in the drained chickpeas, 14 fl oz (400ml) of their cooking liquid, 2 teaspoons of salt, the garam masala and cayenne. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to low and cook very gently for 20 minutes. Add the mixture in the tea-cup. Stir again to mix. Serve hot or lukewarm.

May Kasahara likes this.
  25. Orang Utan

WHOLE GREEN LENTILS WITH GARLIC AND ONION

This is a very simple - and flavourful - method of cooking the humble lentil.

10 tablespoons vegetable oil

1½ teaspoons whole cumin seeds

10 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped

8 oz (200g) onion, peeled and chopped

500g whole green lentils, washed and drained

3 pints (720ml) water

2½ teaspoons salt

¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat the oil in a heavy pot over a medium flame. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. A few seconds later, put in the garlic. Stir and fry until the garlic pieces turn a medium brown colour. Now put in the onion. Stir and fry until the onion pieces begin to turn brown at the edges. Put in the lentils and the water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for about an hour or until lentils are tender. Add the salt and the cayenne. Stir to mix and simmer gently for another 5 minutes.

GUJERATI-STYLE GREEN BEANS

Gujerati sem
    Here is a very simple, yet delicious way to cook green beans. This dish goes well both with Indian meals and with grilled and roasted meats (I like it with sausages). Gujeratis often cook green vegetables with a little baking soda in order to preserve their bright colour. I am told that this kills the vitamins. So I blanch the beans and rinse them out quickly under cold running water instead. This works equally well. I generally do the blanching and rinsing quite a bit ahead of time and do the final cooking just before we sit down to eat.

If you do not want the beans to be hot, either do without the red chilli or else discard all its seeds and use just the skin for flavour.

Serves 4:

1lb (450g) fresh green French beans
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon whole black mustard seeds

4 cloves garlic, peeled and very finely chopped

1 hot, dried red chilli, coarsely crushed in a mortar

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon sugar

Freshly ground black pepper

Trim the beans and cut them into 1 inch (2.5cm) lengths. Blanch the beans by dropping them into a pot of boiling water and boiling rapidly for 3-4 minutes or until they are just tender. Drain immediately in a colander and rinse under cold, running water. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium flame. When hot, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, put in the garlic. Stir the garlic pieces around until they turn light brown. Put in the crushed red chilli and stir for a few seconds. Put in the green beans, salt, and sugar. Stir to mix. Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir and cook the beans for 7-8 minutes or until they have absorbed the flavour of the spices. Add the black pepper, mix, and serve.

26. Orang Utan

27. Orang Utan

DHAL (YELLOW SPLIT PEAS)

Every time I make this fragrant Indian dish, I make it differently. Sometimes I put ground chilli in, sometimes green chillies. Occasionally I use fresh mint with the coriander. It goes well with rice, but I have also been known to simply tuck in with a spoon.

Serves 2

yellow split peas - 200g
    onion - 1
    tomatoes - 2
    garlic cloves - 3
    small, hot red chillies - 2
    ground turmeric - 2 tsp
    salt and black pepper
    to finish:
    garlic cloves - 3
    ground nut oil - 2 tbs
    chopped coriander

Rinse the split peas in cold water. Peel and finely slice the onion. Chop the tomatoes. Peel and finely slice the garlic, seed and chop the chillies. Put the peas, onion, tomatoes, chilli, garlic, turmeric, salt and black pepper in with the peas and cover with just over a litre of water. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the pulses are soft.

To finish, peel and finely slice the garlic, cook till golden and lightly crisp in a shallow pan with the oil, then stir into the dhal with a handful of chopped coriander leaves.

FRIED CARROTS IN CURD (KORMA GĀJAR)

This is an excellent recipe for swedes, parsnips, potatoes or turnips either substituting for or adding to the carrots.

4 tablespoons ghee

1½ lb (675 g) carrots, chopped

1 inch (2.5 cm) piece ginger, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 teaspoons sesame seeds

2 teaspoons poppy seeds

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 teaspoon cumin powder

2 teaspoons coriander powder

1 teaspoon paprika or chilli powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup yogurt

chopped coriander leaves

Heat ghee. Add the ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and poppy seeds and fry till golden. Stir in the spices, salt and carrots and fry for two minutes. Add the yogurt and cook till the carrots are tender. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.

28. Orang Utan

Lentil soup 1
    This is one of the cheapest and simplest soups imaginable. It's also one of the most satisfying. Serves six.

150g brown lentils
    1 litre water
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)

Wash the lentils, put them in a big pot with the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the lentils feel tender. In a separate pan, fry the onions in the oil until soft, season, then add to the lentil pot and purée. If using the cumin, dry fry the seeds until they release their aroma and add to the soup pot with the onion.

Gently reheat the puréed soup and serve hot. For an authentic Lebanese touch, top with 'croutons' made from pitta bread cut into little squares and fried in corn oil.

Lentil soup 2
    1 onion, finely sliced
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1kg Swiss chard
    225g lentils
    1 litre water
    1 big potato, peeled and diced
    Salt and pepper
    2 lemons, juice squeezed

Fry the onion in a little olive oil until soft, then set aside. Separate the Swiss chard leaves from the stems, then cut the leaves into medium shreds and the stems into small dice.

Boil the lentils in the water until half cooked, then add the onion, potato, chard and seasoning, cover and cook for another 20 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and serve hot.

29. Orang Utan

30. Orang Utan