1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban really really really does hate Trance

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Gromit, Feb 8, 2017.

1. discobastard

discobastard Proof-Read by Spores

DOOF DOOF DOOF :thumbs:

ETA: speaking of which, one of the best band/artist names ever...

Opera Buffa likes this.
  2. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Oof coming into this thread and reading that gives me the heeby jeebies

Spandex and plurker like this.
  3. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Some wise words on 20 minute versions:

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I think i properly hate tech house

5. Spandex

6. ska invita

7. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

A good proportion of techouse has turned really ploddy and boring, to almost trancelike proportions. That some of the big psy events round here have techouse in room 2 can only mean bad things for the genera. I'm sure there's still some decent stuff being produced though. It can't be that hard!

ska invita likes this.
  8. NoXion

NoXion Give me communism or give me death

What the fuck is tech house?

9. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Dance wise I need variety- different genres. I got quite into psy trance, but the last time I went I just hated it.
    The bottom line is that I have to really want to dance whilst un-enhanced.

10. nogojones

I guess this could pass for recent techouse that I could dance to

11. ska invita

Heres the current top 100
    Tech House :: Top 100 :: Beatport
    see if you can find a tune that you can listen to from start to finish that doesnt make you want to stop living that little bit
    this is interesting evidence...the two are connected i believe...two sides of a similar coin

tech house is a funkless joyless spiritual void :)

12. nogojones

I had a quick look and theres a couple of things I could face dancing to there. That Green Velvet/Proc n Fitch thing ain't too bad. but generally yea, things ain't looking too healthy for techouse

13. ska invita

i can see how its addictive....if you enter the logic of it all real music seems like its trying too hard....but its not a healthy hole to go down.....theres nothing down there!

14. nogojones

I think a lot of genera's go through periods of utter dullness, then when just about everyone's forgotten about them something fresh emerges.

Liquid DnB has done very little for me for years, but one day there will be a fresh take on it.

ska invita likes this.
  15. NoXion

I gave the three top tracks a try. Bit difficult to listen from start to finish when the damn site won't let you so far as I can see.

From what I was able to hear, it's not terrible - I could have it on in the background and I wouldn't mind - but at the same time it's not the kind of thing I would actively seek out from the sounds of things. I guess what I would call it is the musical equivalent of wallpaper. It's there, but there's no real reason for me to pay any particular attention to it.

For an attempt at contrast, here are three Trance tracks that I personally enjoy:

Forgive me if I've failed to accurately identify the correct sub-sub-sub-genre of each track.

16. NoXion

With the three tracks I posted, I can imagine myself taking a trip through the farthest reaches of space. But those tech house samples had a more down-to-earth feel to them, and not necessarily in an especially entertaining way. If that makes any sense at all.

17. nogojones

I don't know track 2, but 1 and 3 remind me of our local gay club that we spent a couple of years off our tits in. The music was the same every week. Great times but the music leaves me cold these days

18. NoXion

In case anyone is at all interested (doubtful but what the hell), here is some more "down-to-earth" stuff that actually tickles my beat bone:

(bonus points for including a sample from one of my favourite science fiction horror movies ever)

(this one's a proper banger IMO)

I realise that these are less Trance and more Hard House, and that my relative lack of giving a fuck about such things makes me a filthy pleb in the eyes of certain music "fans", but whatever.

19. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

not over the o.g surely ?

20. Spandex

I've not really paid any attention to the tech-house scene for the last 15 years, so it was interesting to skim listen through that list to see how things have changed. The first thing that stands out is how little variety there is in the sounds: they're all stripped back tracks with little groove or melody. There were always tracks like that on the tech-house scene, but they mainly served as bridges between bigger tracks so DJs could have peaks and troughs in their sets. Now it seems the whole scene is made of trough.

It's functional music for people to move their bodies to when they should have gone home but had another pill instead.

I suppose it might sound better over a massive club soundsystem than from beatport sound clips on my laptop, but I'm not convinced.

nogojones likes this.
  21. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

I agree - it's never ok.

22. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

They do know how, but they choose not to use this knowledge in favour of coining it off of drugged up trustafari.

23. yield

yield zero

Pretty much. :D Took my first e at whirligig early nineties. Loved it.
    Miss the weekend feeling. </old>