1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban really really really does hate Trance

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Gromit, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I had forgotten about those!
    I bought this at the time:
    Various - Trance

lefteri likes this.
  2. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I've got the second one, not a bad selection

3. Orang Utan

Just the kind of stuff you heard at WU sometimes!

lefteri likes this.
  4. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

For the last 20 years trance has been so rigidly formulaic and insular that if it doesn't sound exactly like a euro-trance or psytrance or hard trance tune, then nobody considers it trance. But that doesn't mean there hasn't been plenty of decent trancey tunes scattered in the techno, house, electro, disco, synth or minimal genres. People tend not to think of them as trance because they don't sound like Eric Van Titso or Cyber Mushroom, but all these sound well trancey to me:

Rita Furstenhof - Hadron Collider
    Lindstrom - I Feel Space
    Slam - Azure (The Black Dog's Corn Beffy Mix)
    Visonia - Phantoms
    Zombies In Miami - This Is Not The End

Fez909 likes this.
  5. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Go on then...try.

Exactly, the 'commerical' form that took elements from a number of sources and fused them - but in doing so perhaps provided an entry point for some unaware of the deeper history involved. It has happened with many musical forms and genres - and for those lucky enough to have heard or experienced the earlier expressions it can be infuriating. But that record was legitimate pop music.

As for the wider genealogy - let us not forget Renegade Soundwave.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

What about RSW? Fuck are you on about.

discobastard likes this.
  7. Orang Utan

No one has said it wasn't legitimate pop music, just that it wasn't seen as part of the underground scene.

8. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Ozora and dark squat parties in London :)

discobastard likes this.
  9. stethoscope

Y'see, that sounds just like the music you used to get on Amiga megademo's. In 1991.

10. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

11. stethoscope

Was listening to some Trance Europe Express comps yesterday which were good to hear again. Keeping it strictly pre-95 :D

12. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Go on then...try.

I agree, and I had not suggested that it was part of the 'underground' scene of the time.

13. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Some great tracks on there - shame it's not the actual mix you linked to!

14. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

I still got those I think (and some of the booklets that came with them).

The first one is great.

15. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Some of these tracks (Trance Europe and the Andrew Souter one) reminded me of this, which I love dearly.

Oddly enough I interviewed Dick O'Dell, who ran Guerilla Records with William Orbit, a few months ago for a compilation project related to another label he ran. He was a lovely bloke and told me the story of setting up the label. He really disliked the term 'Progressive House', being a lover of punk/funk stuff, which is why he called his compilations Dub House Disco. The beginning of trance for me, along with labels like Harthouse and Rising High.

ETA some great stuff on those compilations:

Guerilla

Spandex, electroplated and Fez909 like this.
  16. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Just in case you clicked on one of those videos to see what it was like, this video should cure it.

17. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

One more:

And let's not forget the Psychick Warriors of Gaia - maybe for another night :D

Spandex and Fez909 like this.
  18. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Post reported.

cantsin and danski like this.
  19. Fez909

Fez909 um...

That kind of trance I can handle. Reminds me of what I think is the best trance comp/mix:

discobastard likes this.
  20. Spandex

Oh yeah!

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Exit 23

Fucking hell. Just listening to this it's still incredible. I was surprised to see this was released in either '89 or '90 (dates vary depending where you look). I thought it was from later than that as it was still being caned when I started going to trance parties in early '93.

Also love:

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Obsidian

I've posted the 20 minute version, because...

Indeliblelink and discobastard like this.
  21. Spandex

I saw (and when I say "saw", I really mean "ran around Brixton Academy tripping while they played") Spooky and Psychick Warriors of Gaia on the same line up in '93. There was some other acts playing too...
    [​IMG]

electroplated likes this.
  22. Oh I went to that. Great night, what a line-up.
    Was that the only time PWOG played in the UK?

23. Spandex

Yeah, that was a great night, though my recollections are a little vague. My only really clear memory is the beautiful metallic flower patterns growing out of the floor in the lobby...

No idea if that's the only time PWOG played in the UK. I should've paid more attention if it was :D

24. stethoscope

Holy fuck! Got to a few Megadogs back then, but never that one! That line-up! :eek: :cool: :D

I thought the allnighter I got to once with iirc Aphex/ Hawkwind/ BTTP/ Eat Static/ Chumbawamba/ Transglobal Underground/ Dog soundsystem was mindblowing enough!

25. Orang Utan

So Urban really really really does like trance, there's just a cut off date of around 95

26. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Seems like a fair assessment. :D

27. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Thanks for sharing! I never saw 'em sadly (went to a Megadog or two at Leeds University but I got the second division stuff like Dreadzone).

I *might* have seen Spooky but I really can't remember. Actually I think I did.

Anyway, the Warriors have some great stuff up on Youtube - some live stuff:

And a vaguely interesting video of a hybrid recording session/interview - nice to see what goes on behind the scenes (I'm always interested in what goes on behind the scenes of shit like this):

Indeliblelink likes this.
  28. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Long old intro, but after two minutes the drop gets the goosebumps going

29. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Niiiice. I really liked his Astral Pilot stuff - there's nowt that special about this track but I love the jaunty jerky percussion.

Oh and Accident is Paradise is a stomping great bassline...

plurker likes this.
  30. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Ha. Accident in Paradise album is what led me to the above. But as you're going hard....allow me some Virus

discobastard likes this.