1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban really really really does hate Trance

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Gromit, Feb 8, 2017.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

couldn't find this last night for some reason. ohhh dear it is a "bit" cheesy but definitely has a lot of memories

2. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Whilst 'Get Ready For This' did make rave sets in its first incarnation, 'No Limit' was never that at all - coming out in 92 it was entirely out of step with how the rave scene was developing, and is typical of major labels picking up on an underground idea late in the day because they can sense the $$ in a marketable pop record.

Being there back in the day, buying tunes, going out raving, and then DJing, that tune was simply not part of scenes as I recall whatsoever. My recollection of rave lineage is as kinda as follows:

In late 89-early 91 you had the late-Nu beat into Belgian, US detroit, and UK homegrown stuff (Spectrum - Brazil, Ravesignal, Beltram - Energy Flash, Senses - Destroyer, UR - The Theory, Rhythmatic - Take Me Back, LFO - LFO, 4 Hero - Mr Kirk, etc.)

By the mid of 91 the sped-up breakbeat/hip hop influence was core - Ragga Twins/SUAD - Spliffhead, Lamborghini, Scientist - Exorcist, Meat Beat Manifesto - Radio Babylon, HHFD - Total Confusion, Prodigy - Charly. By end of 91, you had tunes like Manix - Feel Good, Dragonfly - Visions of Rage,

All through 92 breakbeat hardcore run tings - and even at its most commercial cross-over (Sesame's Treet, Trumpton) that tune was musically out of joint. As the backlash happened after summer of 92 when hardcore went mainstream (Mixmag saying it had all died at that point, let's listen to prog house and trance), we then went through actually the strongest and experimental point of hardcore towards late 92 as it morphed into darkcore in one way, and the jungle influences were ever creeping through too in another way. Tunes like Rufige - Terminator, Doc Scott - Here Comes The Drumz, Wax Doctor - New Direction, Noise Factory, Be Free.

There was also the 'split' of late 93, when the piano/hands in the air hardcore turned into happy hardcore (Ramos & Supreme - Crowd Control), whilst by late 93 there was darkcore beginning to turn into d'n'b (Invisible Man - Bell Tune, Doc Scott - VIP Drumz/Riders Ghost, Studio Pressure - Jump, DJ Crystl - Warpdrive) and there was the fusion at that point still which would become jungle in its own right (M Beat - Shuffle, Gappa G - Information Centre, Conquering Lion - Dubplate Special). And this carried on through to about early 94 which at that point I think the directions of what might be considered jungle and d'n'b were more evident - though there will still plenty of fusion.

I can remember techno from 92 onwards being the likes of either Belgian/Euro producers and more US detroit influenced stuff: CJ Bolland - Springyard, Dave Clarke - Four Seasons, UR - X101, The Mover - Nightflight, Energy - Backdraft, Luke Slater - XTront, Kenny Larkin - Aurora, etc.

I remember trance around that time as being Jam & Spoon - Stella, Age of Love, etc.

TL/DR: No Limit just wasn't there and also it was infuriating having to explain to people that techno isn't anything like that fucking tune :D

(I also still have the first 2 or 3 Reactivates which were very good - Belgian techno > Euro trance, but after that what trance had become just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid).

3. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Because I think he's a mostly billy bullshitting self-important twat.

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

It wasn't even a sell out as they were always commercial

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

THIS IS A TUNE THO

(on 10 pills)

discobastard likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I mean selling out "the scene"

7. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Hiya Steth! Great post!

skyscraper101 likes this.
  8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

No Limits definitely got played in the year 1-3 school discos in 92, I can vouch for that.

9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I loved all the genre names that got invented along the way.

'Dream House'

'Intelligent Jungle'

:facepalm: :D

discobastard likes this.
  10. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Come on Friday night Robert Armani Circus Bells tweaked up by Hardfloor

plurker likes this.
  11. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

'Artcore' for the intelligent d'n'b React compilations

12. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

I had the pleasure of working at Platipus in the late 90s.

Nice bunch of folk. The label owner, Simon records as Art of Trance. his mobile number ends 303909 :D:cool:

13. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

I hate to admit it but along side "house", trance is probably one of the more popular genres of electronic music, more so in Europe, Russia & Israel. If you were to attend one of those "full moon" parties in Thailand, you'd find it chocca with Israelis & Russians.

Also, check out the big name commercial DJs/ producers from Holland... 90% of them produce/play trance. its massive over there

14. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

The snobs may hate it, but I love Trance.

xes likes this.
  15. moody

I fookin hate it, hard dance in general.

16. twentythreedom

twentythreedom COG SOG AWA TWA AWS TWS VMG

Spot on :)

17. moody

lot of folk don't know the difference between "tekno" & "techno" kids mainly.

also, the No Limit track was just pop/chart fodder, not part of any scene really.

18. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Haha-I did exactly the same thing a few months ago & again a few minutes ago before reading your comment. It was in our imaginations.

19. moody

it's on the special "eurodunce" remix

20. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

Am I alone? Surely not. Groping through the morning fog to discover urban doesn't really really really hate France.

But that gives me an idea....

Indeliblelink likes this.
  21. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Hating Trance was a tribal thing wasn't it? It was all that cod-spirituality bollox that we used to laugh at and the music seemed well dodgy. Cheesy washing machine stuff ?

Obviously go back to early rave and 'Trance' meant something different. By the 2000s it was all about something.....

sealion likes this.
  22. moody

I like to think hating trance was a "taste" thing.

23. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

It is. It's definitely an 'I'm a pretentious twat with bad taste so I'll hate Trance' thing.

24. moody

yeah above and beyond all that the fundamental issue that trance in all it's guises is shite still stands.

25. xes

xes F.O.A.D

26. xes

xes F.O.A.D

gentlegreen likes this.
  27. xes

xes F.O.A.D

28. xes

xes F.O.A.D

29. xes

xes F.O.A.D

30. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

There was also a crossover between trance and the early progressive house scene which Leftfield came out of - there was a series of comps called 'trance' which were actually full of prog house tunes

electroplated and Orang Utan like this.