1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban really really really does hate Trance

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Gromit, Feb 8, 2017.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

this got near.......

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

This is what that would sound like if they did things differently;

I'm using the same argument as you to show you how ridiculous your argument is

3. xes

xes F.O.A.D

Fuck anyone in the ears who doesn't fucking love this track.

4. Gromit

If I had to make a guess, someone was trying to get a post count quick. Either so they could PM or access restricted forums.
    English did not appear to be their first language which explains repetition of some post content. They weren't a bot though.

Now either the mods have some evidence that uppon reaching the required post count they misused the gained privileges.
    Or they assumed the worst and presumed him guilty before they reached that count and then sinned.
    Or the behaviour very closely matched a previous spam attempt.

I'm just guessing though.

pogofish and Fez909 like this.
  5. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Original '91/'92 trance is where it's at.

Stardiver - Lifetime Mission (10 minutes of madness mix) - Wolfgang Voight (Mike Ink, Gas, Kompakt, etc) in '91
    Near Dark - Heute ist ein guter Tag zu Sterben - Torsten Fenslau (Abfhart, Culture Beat :D, etc) in '92
    Barbarella - My Name Is Barbarella - Sven Vath's best tune

Though, yeah, '93/'94 were trance's high point. It was all down hill after that.

Pob - Strata (Clanger Remix) - best thing Platipus Records put out
    Digital Excitation - Sunburst (Cubic 22 Remix) - this took my head apart one night tripping at Megatripolis
    Pete Lazonby - Sacred Cycles - one for the 'long intros' thread - the drop doesn't come until 5:24

6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ohhh shit. Yes

7. discobastard

discobastard Proof-Read by Spores

Nice, I know all those artists in one form or another, I shall play em all through this eve :thumbs:

Barbarella is great - got that on Harthouse 12 somewhere... Also love Spicelab, though it was generally a bit punchier at least the earlier stuff.

Spandex likes this.
  8. discobastard

My poor fucked ears :D Few too many BPMs for my definition of trance, but a banger nonetheless.

WE SHALL RECLAIM THIS THREAD IN THE NAME OF ACID TRANCE TUNES (from the early 90s)

9. Gromit

I keep forgetting Sven dabbled in Trance.
    I only ever associate him with German Techno.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. He ran the Harthouse & Eye Q labels. Some of the bands he was in in the 80s had some proto-trancey sounding tracks.
    eg from 1986

Spandex likes this.
  11. Spandex

And was a resident at Club Dorian Grey in Frankfurt, which is to trance music what Ron Hardy's Muzic Box was to House.

Ah this thread's got me all misty eyed for really old trance now.

Dance 2 Trance - We Came In Peace (1991 Mix)

12. Spandex

discobastard likes this.
  13. xes

xes F.O.A.D

rude not to.

although that's late 90s and probably more than a few too many bpms for you :D

14. Spandex

I notice you posted the dub version. Is that because Sven is one of the worst vocalists in the history of recorded music? :D

15. discobastard

Spandex likes this.
  16. discobastard

Fucking love the piano lines in this one.

17. Yes, the A sides are best avoided. :D

Spandex likes this.
  18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Seems everyone agrees platipus stuff can be ok... I seem to remember the reactivate 13 comp was good for the old Mitsubishi after party sessions too

Sea Lion likes this.
  19. discobastard

Stardiver not for me but the Torsten Fenslau track is great (reminds me of Propaganda in a funny way). Barbarella great, thanks for posting, I haven't heard that in literally *15-20 years*.

Pob and the rest great too. Surprised to hear the Cubic 22 mix as their 'hit' track was dead ravey (Night in Motion which is great for what it is). I think I know the Lazonby track from the Carl Cox Fact mix (which also has the truly awesome Ego Acid by Pump Panel on it).

Nice one. One more from me - gonna keep my powder dry for another night :)

Opera Buffa and Spandex like this.
  20. discobastard

There's more hard acid in the Platipus stuff than I remember, which is a GOOD THING. And I remember the Reactivate comps! Had a few on vinyl, sadly I think I got rid... but shall check em out on Discogs to see if there are any lost classics on there.

We shall keep the ironic thread title :)

rutabowa likes this.
  21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Careful with those reactivate comps, I just tried listening to some tracks on YouTube and much of it is utter shite... I def remember loving some tracks tho

discobastard likes this.
  22. discobastard

Oh yea there's a *lot* of shite on 'em. I think I was buying them around vol 7 and 8. I see that they lost it with vol 14 'Larry the Lobster's Trancetastic Pot Boilers' (ffs seriously).

But looking through them they had an Illuminatae track and they were class - 'Tremora del terra'. But I'm not posting that one, I'm posting this one - it fucking BANGS :D

Another kwality '93 track...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Opera Buffa and electroplated like this.
  23. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Citation required!

See here is the thing - that record was hugely popular and yet was recognised as being a legitimate part of of a particular musical stream. In this instance context is important, taking in to account Europe (Belgium (*cough*), Techno, Hard Core (prior to the 'dark stuff'), Nu-Beat and Pop music.

History being re-written.

24. Torsten Fenslau made some of the best early trance tracks but he was also producing Culture Beat at the same time. you can't blame him for stealing the sound as he practically invented it.

25. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Master Of Shambolics

No.
    It was the object of scorn at the time, just like it is now. I remember getting annoyed by people thinking you were into it when you said you liked techno.

danski and ska invita like this.
  26. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

well there is a bit in it that goes "techno, techno, techno, techno" ;)

definitely it was hated at the time....
    " recognised as being a legitimate part of of a particular musical stream " <<<legitimate part of commercial dance pop and dodgy have a fight disco

Ive actually mellowed on a lot of all the crap commerical dance tunes of the early 90s...a bit of nostalgia has taken the edge off the shitness
    hah yeah....it was definitely a high point

27. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

28. Orang Utan

The techno chorus was precisely why I was asked if I liked them.
    It was pretty irritating.
    I don't know why BNP thinks it was regarded as legitimate. By who? That's not what me and my peers thought of it. We thought it was pretty much the opposite - people cashing in on the underground by association.

29. Orang Utan

Opera Buffa likes this.
  30. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

yeh that 2 unlimited record was never anything other than sellout pop cheese.

as opposed to say "I wanna be a hippy" which did have its roots in the underground