1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban Djs, how did you start off?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by moody, Feb 8, 2018.

1. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

Me,

I was lucky that my dad had a large record collection, so I grew up around vinyl.

I started buying my own stuff I was into at the time, I was also hanging around a live music venue called " The Square", quite small, about 150 upstairs where the stage was, had some really cool early 90s bands play there, Carter USM, Inspiral Carpets, Chumbawumba etc.

I got friendly with the guy who did the local talent night on mondays and got to play tunes between bands,

I remember the first few times, I didn't even cues the tunes up, didn't even know what the pitch fader on the decks was for...

My forward thinking selection of early 90s dance & electronica didn't go down too well with most of the indie/ punk crowd but it was a start and I had caught the bug and went on to pester mates to play every chance anywhere, soon going on to put on my own nights etc.

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Exactly this for me. Me and a mate playing on his belt drive beaters for months, not knowing wtf we were doing.

One day another mate gave me a 5 minute "lesson" at an after party, and told me how you beat match. I couldn't do it, of course, but at least now I knew the process I needed to follow and I could see how it works etc. Went out and got some technics on HP the next day and I've been skint ever since :thumbs:

3. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

so similar, got a few pointers from an older mate who had 1210s. I knew then about cuing and bring in on the 4, I did struggle for a while deciding through then headphones if the tune being brought in was faster or slower tho...

got through 6 sets of technics before i went all ableton

sealion and Fez909 like this.
  4. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

How the hell do you go through 6 sets of Technics? They would outlive cockroaches in a nuclear holocaust.

sealion, ska invita and ddraig like this.
  5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom don't wanna get me vex, don't step on my creps

Got interested looking at what DJs were doing exactly when I was at early raves. Started buying records, bought decks shortly after, mixed for at least 12hrs a day for the next 5 years at least, with occasional breaks to buy records, go raving and take drugs :thumbs:

Played at numerous house parties and put mixes out... Soon got asked to DJ in clubs and raves for money.

Great times. Precious moments and memories :)

moody, Fez909, sealion and 2 others like this.
  6. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Pirate radio is what really influenced me to start but I never had enough money to buy decks until long after I'd stopped listening to the pirates (although I was in Leeds at the time. It was Easter 1995 & Dream FM was going strong) I had already amassed quite a lot of vinyl- & then as part of my course, students were given an extra bursary, part of which I put towards decks, mixer & amp. I've never really pushed myself to do anything with it. Partly because I don't like stress.The best feeling for me is playing tracks for friends in our house or at a party, that I know they'll love, but won't have heard before.
    I Love it now just as much as I did back then, even though I switched to Ableton & now Serato many years ago.

Fez909, sealion and ska invita like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fez909, sealion and ska invita like this.
  8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

mates house, mates records, mates decks for years.
    then flat mate had decks and records for ages on top.
    Dj Sponge
    luckily my house is your house and your house is mine is all part of it ;)

Fez909, twentythreedom and sealion like this.
  9. sealion

sealion Marilise Legijuana

I always loved my tunes from a young age and started listening to pirate radio stations at the age of 12. When i was old enough (16) i would go to blues parties and watch the dj's play and try and remember where they faded or mixed the tunes i liked. I eventually got a chance to play at a party using one cd player and one deck, the cross fader was knackered as well. I did okay and had the room dancing although i was very nervous to begin with .That gave me the bug so i invested in two pioneer decks and a half decent mixer (all second hand) and constantly practiced, morning ,noon and night until i had put a few sets together. I had mates that put on raves and club nights and they gave me a few early slots and it just grew from there. I think because i knew my tunes so well it gave me the confidence to play out, the more technical side of things came later as you learn along the way. I still play on 1210's and cdj's today but am embracing the latest kit thank's to my sons help and patience :D

Fez909, twentythreedom and ska invita like this.