Urban Cycle (walk) along the Lea Valley towards Ware Sat 30th May

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by alsoknownas, Apr 4, 2015.

?

Which day would be best for cruising down the Lea towpath on a bicycle?

1. Saturday May 16th

50.0%
  2. Saturday May 30th

75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

How did the walk go, walkers? I only got a brief report. Did you follow the designated route (through Lea Valley Country Park), or did you go along the towpath in clear violation of The Plan? :mad: ;)

zora and Rutita1 like this.
  2. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Yeah it was lovely to meet 8115 and I didn't realise she had come from Cambridge which makes it even more of a treat :)

Rutita1, alsoknownas and Miss-Shelf like this.
  3. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

I think we clearly violated all the plans and even managed to get lost fir a time on the way back. That IS impressive and dedicated wandering from a river walk

Plus much elderflower picking and now cordial making

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure what the difference between the Lee navigation and the towpath thing was... :oops:

Great day, lovely to meet everyone and thanks very much for the fab organisation alsoknownas (if your pals did seem to find my 'patience of a saint' comment extremely amusing... :confused::))

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  5. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I got fully detached from the other walkers on the way out and on the way back :hmm:
    Yes, your pals were great fun too, aka.

han and Rutita1 like this.
  6. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Likewise, nice end to the day in Beavertown too, those beers are strong, I got the train home.

zora and han like this.
  7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Not related, as it's a completely different person, but another friend of mine was once showing the Archbishop of Canterbury around a building as part of her work. At the end of the session she noticed he was looking a little fatigued and asked him if he'd like a nice cup of tea. He put his hand on her shoulder and said "You're a saint!". So she now considers that she's been canonised.

Not sure what my mates were blathering on about :rolleyes:.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  8. Miss-Shelf

Which way did you go back in the end?

9. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Alas(?) I don't have that kind of 'power'...

Being proper people, they'd obviously not seen your extremely patient replies on this thread.

10. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Oh, and that lock sign at Pickets Lock (?) was hilarious. I must of passed that several dozen times without noticing it before. It read something like:

[Canal & River Trust logo] Official looking script: In accordance with the Waterways act 1837 (or whatever), it is an offence for any vessel to pass this lock, without the operator depositing in this allotted slot one Bounty Bar...

We had fun winding up some poor narrowboat operator about it :D.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  11. Miss-Shelf

zora here are the results of all the picking
    bottled.jpg

I'll save one for you if you like (there's a wine bottle full as well)
    Its a bit herbal but quite nice

thanks Sue and Ms T for the slow walking while I picked

ShiftyBagLady and Sue like this.
  12. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

We tried to go through Lee Valley Park on the way back but it went a bit wrong. we were in dire need of a leader/map.

13. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Like the one I provided a link to in the plans post? :mad: Sounds like you all had a nice time anyhow :thumbs::p.

zora, mango5 and Miss-Shelf like this.
  14. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

*intrigued* :hmm:

15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

it is easy to get lost in that parky bit, the roads do turn a fair bit

anyhow just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for your good company, great to meet some new people and particularly to rich and stig for braving the heavy geese traffic and showing us how it should be done by stopping at every opportunity for maximum pleasure seeking :thumbs:

knackered me though! slept a solid 12 hours last night :D

han and alsoknownas like this.
  16. Miss-Shelf

elderflower cordial

I had to finish the wine last night and tonight I'll be sampling elderflower and rum purely practically you understand so I could empty the bottles;)

alsoknownas likes this.
  17. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Mmmm... luverly!

18. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

When we realised we'd accidentally done a big loop, we asked a guy walking his dog which way to Waltham Cross? When he pointed in the direction we'd just come from or said we could take the towpath...well... :oops:

Looking good Miss-Shelf!

han, Greebo and Miss-Shelf like this.
  19. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Sounds like a recent episode of The Island, lol.

Greebo and zora like this.
  20. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

21. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

its good someone got a photo of this, for posterity...

[​IMG]

Miss-Shelf, Rutita1 and han like this.
  22. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

23. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Miss-Shelf - is the elderflower out? I asked around last week locally and everyone (a handful of people) said no.. but i want to pick and make cordial...

24. Miss-Shelf

Loads out in se23...but bit rainy to collect until Thursday

gaijingirl likes this.
  25. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I had wanted to take the kids picking last week (half term). If it's out in SE23 I should be able to find some - might be able to hit some meadows Grove Park way on Thursday..

26. braindancer

braindancer not for long

The Lea was actually pretty much like this today! I'd been around Essex and dropped down on to the Lea at Waltham Abbey. The stretch between Waltham Abbey and Tottenham was absolutely rammed - three or four organised bike rides - a charity one, a Woodcraft one and a couple of other youth group rides. It was kind of nice to see so many people on bikes but simultaneously REALLY annoying....

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  27. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

We walked from Tottenham down to Hackney Wick today. It was alright, though probably not great for cyclists.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  28. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

29. darwinlarfin

darwinlarfin Banned Banned

Random question but are the tires on that bike in front of the guy with shades continental cycle cross speed skin foldable tires? If so how do they perform on the towpath because I was looking to buy a set for my hybrid to use along the canals and gravel. Cheers.

toblerone3 likes this.
  30. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

who's bike is that? I'm not sure.